Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Waterproofing, is it needed? >

Waterproofing, is it needed?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Waterproofing, is it needed?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Waterproofing, is it needed?

I'm just curious as to know, if you guys think that it's worth waterproofing my feathers? Or is all the water going to get shot in my face, when I shoot the arrows anyways?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Waterproofing, is it needed?

Yeah, it's gonna be a bit ofa water explosion when you shoot...But honestly, good luck keeping them dry w/ waterproofing. Plastic bag, bro...Plastic bag. I'm just not gonna worry about it; if they get wet, so be it.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM

I used to use zinc or zinc oxide. It was in a powder form and a buddy got it for me from work. Its worked great but now I use blazers so I dont bother.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spray my fletching with Scotchguard at the beginning of the season. Water beads up and rolls off. I have never had them get wet.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing often never mentioned is many people believe an arrow with feathers needs refletched after a pass through. Something to think about.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have several arrows with pass throughs that have not had to been reflethced, I think alot of it has to do with the skill of the one fletching the arrows, as for feathers getting wet, I dont worry about it, they still fly and damned accurate.

ORIGINAL: nodog

One thing often never mentioned is many people believe an arrow with feathers needs refletched after a pass through. Something to think about.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

When I shot feathers I did it a couple different ways. I bought the commerical powder in a can that you just dunked the arrow in but really prefered the spray dope you use on dry flies to keep them afloat. I also went with nothing. The arrow will still shoot just fine. My favorite was a press close typezip lock bag over the quiver and poke a couple nocks through it to keept eh bag in place.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use that stuff made for Whisker Biscuits, I think it is called no-snow. I have also used the Atsko silicon stuff. The powder is good, but it makes me sneeze and is messy. [:@]

I have also used aqua net. But you'd better hunt the wind with that stuff on your fletchings.