Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gray Wolf Woolens?  What's the fuss all about? >

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

I don't understand why other posters feel the need to vehemently defend the aforementioned company.
Nor do I understand why other posters feel the need to call people names who can and do afford quality products. No one calls you a goober for NOT buying it so why do you call someone who wants to purchase it a goober?

I can promise you there are things you own I would never spend money on but I wouldn't call you names for purchasing anything you wish with your own money.

THAT IS SOLID POSTING!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe it's because we don't understand the need for some to come on and attack a company when they've never even actually held the product in their hands? Let the existing customer base come on the forums and complain if they feel slighted... but somehow I don't think that's going to happen, given the satisfaction rate of many of GWW's long-term and repeat customers.
I'll agree with this. Enter "rage" or "scent lok" for GWW and you nailed one of my pet peeves about this forum, also.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Attack? Who is attacking? I'm giving you the floor to tell me why it's worth the price. So far, I've learned that:
[ul][*]Since it's made in the USA, we have to pay more (understandable);[*]Since it's MTO, we have to pay more (understandable);[*]He's using a type of warp knit that isn't quite the same as the stuff commercially available elsewhere (good);[*]Better seams for increased durability (positive);[*]Burr-free and color retentive (good); and[*]Not as expensive as it seems at first glance, b/c no liner is needed (again, positive).[/ul]
Conversely, we've learned that:
[ul][*]It's still pretty damn expensive;[*]Warp knit polyester is available through many other avenues at a much lower price;[*]Pockets are extra;[*]Scent containment is extra;[*]Some people who have owned it have mixed feelings about buying it again;[*]There can be an extended wait time for GWW garments; and[*]You can buy similar DWR waterproofing treatments, and add it to your clothes on your own.[/ul]

Greg - you're acting like I've murdered this man's entire family, poisoned his dogand tipped over his grandmother's wheelchair. Meanwhile, all I did was ask "why so damn expensive?" I feel like that's a very fair question, especially given how much we've heard about this camo (and how great it is) over the past couple years - and the sticker-shock that I got when I finally went to their site to scope it out.

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with the answers I've gotten so far. Is it enough to make me want to rush out and buy a set? No. But can I at least see why somebody else would? Sure.

If nobody ever played a little devil's advocate, we'd never get these answers, nowwould we? Part of having an actual fair & balanced conversation is exploring the unexplored and representing the underrepresented.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If nobody ever played a little devil's advocate, we'd never get these answers, nowwould we? Part of having an actual fair & balanced conversation is exploring the unexplored and representing the underrepresented.
THAT is solid posting, actually, on the verge of becoming gospel.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Germ, that was a typo (GFF). Should have been GWW, or Grey Wolf Woolens. Your interpratation was good though. Yep Rob, it's too big now, way too big.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Attack? Who is attacking? I'm giving you the floor to tell me why it's worth the price. So far, I've learned that:
[ul][*]Since it's made in the USA, we have to pay more (understandable);[*]Since it's MTO, we have to pay more (understandable);[*]He's using a type of warp knit that isn't quite the same as the stuff commercially available elsewhere (good);[*]Better seams for increased durability (positive);[*]Burr-free and color retentive (good); and[*]Not as expensive as it seems at first glance, b/c no liner is needed (again, positive).[/ul]
Conversely, we've learned that:
[ul][*]It's still pretty damn expensive;[*]Warp knit polyester is available through many other avenues at a much lower price;[*]Pockets are extra;[*]Scent containment is extra;[*]Some people who have owned it have mixed feelings about buying it again;[*]There can be an extended wait time for GWW garments; and[*]You can buy similar DWR waterproofing treatments, and add it to your clothes on your own.[/ul]

Greg - you're acting like I've murdered this man's entire family, poisoned his dogand tipped over his grandmother's wheelchair. Meanwhile, all I did was ask "why so damn expensive?" I feel like that's a very fair question, especially given how much we've heard about this camo (and how great it is) over the past couple years - and the sticker-shock that I got when I finally went to their site to scope it out.

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with the answers I've gotten so far. Is it enough to make me want to rush out and buy a set? No. But can I at least see why somebody else would? Sure.

Now that right there is an intelligent man. Good post Quik.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Picking out one senctence without the context of the following three or four is solid posting? Read the whole paragraph in MY post; THAT'S solid posting.

Some of the members here have come toenjoy asarcastic or comical answer butfail to look further for the substance behind it. That line of thinking is just aserroneous as the thinking that continually pouring your money down the drain buying disposable clothing every few years for a 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price is saving you money.

Plus, the bad thing about clothes is they deteriorate at a rapid pace. Whereas, something like a bow, watch, gun etc.. tends to actually hold their value.
Here we find another example of someone talking about something they obviously have no first-hand experience with in terms of rapid deterioration. My GWW garments look just as good as the day I opened them out of their box, years ago. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I fully expect to be able to pass down many of these hunting clothes to my sons when I can longer utilize them. Oh, by the way; my oldest boy is age 5 and my youngest is a year-and-a-half old. When's the last time someone bought an $800 bow (as was referenced a few pages back by way of comparison, and deemed perfectly acceptable...), and REALLY expected to keep it a lifetime? Fool yourself if you want to; most don't.

But let's be honest here: Holding value isn't the reason GWW has a loyal customer base. If I were concerned about "investments" and items I purchased holding value, I'd be purchasing gold -- or more realistically, I'd be investing in companies making a splash in the molecular diagnostic business in the hospital laboratory business.

I don't understand why other posters feel the need to vehemently defend the aforementionedcompany.
Maybe it's because we don't understand the need for some to come on and attack a company when they've never even actually held the product in their hands? Let the existing customer base come on the forums and complain if they feel slighted... but somehow I don't think that's going to happen, given the satisfaction rate of many of GWW's long-term and repeat customers.

Perhaps that's why this was the most spot-on commentary of Quik's whole original post:

At least once-a-day, somebody refers to it as the gold-standard in hunting clothing.
And that... from actual customers. Imagine that.
Be careful not to hurt your hand from patting yourself on the back so hard.

If you do actually pass these pants to your son I doubt he will be asexhilarated as you're. Hey look everyone, my dad gave me some 20 year old pants, goodie!! Whereas, if you gave him your first 20 year oldbow you killed a deer with that could be something sentimental.You see, a gun, rifle or bow would actually hold its value IMHO.I'm gettting off on a tangent, but my point is these pants are overpriced.

Oh well... I'm sure this could go on forever. I don't begrudge someone for buying anything, but it also doesn't mean I have to endorse it.

Lastly, why do I have to own something to tell you it's overpriced? [&:]

Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to spite this thread, this morning I called up Jeff and ordered up two sets of wolfskin pants (one in Spring Green, one in Fall Brown, both with the extra pockets, double knees, and double butt), a wolfskin jacket, and two wolfskin hats. I'll post more when I get them in my hands. [8D]
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I don't understand why other posters feel the need to vehemently defend the aforementioned company.
Nor do I understand why other posters feel the need to call people names who can and do afford quality products. No one calls you a goober for NOT buying it so why do you call someone who wants to purchase it a goober?

I can promise you there are things you own I would never spend money on but I wouldn't call you names for purchasing anything you wish with your own money.

THAT IS SOLID POSTING!
Many people who go out and spend lots of money on overpriced products feel the need to defend their decision for purchasing the proudct. Look, if you want to blow your money on something dumb that is your decision, but it doesn't mean I have to endorse it.

Also, it is important to understand that I have the right to think/call you a goober if you made a dumb purchase. You may not like it, but I call them like I see them.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Just to spite this thread, this morning I called up Jeff and ordered up two sets of wolfskin pants (one in Spring Green, one in Fall Brown, both with the extra pockets, double knees, and double butt), a wolfskin jacket, and two wolfskin hats. I'll post more when I get them in my hands. [8D]
Goober.

While you're at it I have some Enron stock I would like to sell you too.

Quick Reply: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.