Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 seeing a deer from the road and stalking it >

seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting from the road when you were driving.

Ok, I think a lot of people are giving bigtim6656 a little too much on this. I read his post in the ML forum, and decided to pop over here.

A couple examples of what I have done. I hunt in NV. It is not legal to shoot from a vehicle, or from a county maintained road. It is legal to shoot from off of the road, regardless of how far away the vehicle is.

1. 1999 dad and I are hunting all morning, probably hike 3 miles, cime up with nothing. My mom picks us up, says theres deer over here, we get in, she drives us over, we get out and shoot the deer.

2. I am hiking all day long looking for deer, come up with nothing. We go to a spot, and glass a mountainside from the truck. Seea nice buck 400 yards distant. Dad and I stalk over and I take the deer at 50 yards. That was in 2000.

3. Again, dad and I are hiking all day long. Get back to the vehicles, and start having lunch. See a deer walking over the ridge. I shoot the deer. that was 2001.

4. 2002, no deer, 2003, no deer, 2004, no deer

5. 2005 cow elk taken with a ml by walking along an old abandoned 2-track road, which does not fall into the "shooting from a road" category. We make a stalk from 500 yards to 75, and I bring home the bacon.

6. 2006 I huntsome high ridges all day long see some deer, but do not connect. Buddy and I walk back to the 4 wheelers and begin riding down to meet our dads and friend. Drivig along, deer 50 yards off road. We both get off and get to roads edge, and I get my deer.

7. 2007, my dad an I park the truck and walk up a steep slide and still hunt a loop about 2 miles in the evening. We get back to the road and start walking towards the truck. A buck crosses the road, and I get off the road andshoot it. (I did not recover that buck, it was a bad hit).

8. 2007, I am going for an evening duck hunt. On my way to where I want to park and walk this field, I see some ducks 50 or so yards off the road in a little pond (state property).I park the truck on the other side, crawl across, get to the edge of the road, and sneak through a little brush, stand up and when the ducks jump, BOOM! dead duck.

Call me what you want, but read the NV regs and tell me if any of these scenarios are illegal, I sure can't find anywhere.

I am any less of a hunter because I took these on opportunity? I don't think so, I worked my butt off and came got lucky with such an opportunity.

Later,

Marcial
Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the help i need it over here lol
ORIGINAL: charlie brown

Ok, I think a lot of people are giving bigtim6656 a little too much on this. I read his post in the ML forum, and decided to pop over here.

A couple examples of what I have done. I hunt in NV. It is not legal to shoot from a vehicle, or from a county maintained road. It is legal to shoot from off of the road, regardless of how far away the vehicle is.

1. 1999 dad and I are hunting all morning, probably hike 3 miles, cime up with nothing. My mom picks us up, says theres deer over here, we get in, she drives us over, we get out and shoot the deer.

2. I am hiking all day long looking for deer, come up with nothing. We go to a spot, and glass a mountainside from the truck. Seea nice buck 400 yards distant. Dad and I stalk over and I take the deer at 50 yards. That was in 2000.

3. Again, dad and I are hiking all day long. Get back to the vehicles, and start having lunch. See a deer walking over the ridge. I shoot the deer. that was 2001.

4. 2002, no deer, 2003, no deer, 2004, no deer

5. 2005 cow elk taken with a ml by walking along an old abandoned 2-track road, which does not fall into the "shooting from a road" category. We make a stalk from 500 yards to 75, and I bring home the bacon.

6. 2006 I huntsome high ridges all day long see some deer, but do not connect. Buddy and I walk back to the 4 wheelers and begin riding down to meet our dads and friend. Drivig along, deer 50 yards off road. We both get off and get to roads edge, and I get my deer.

7. 2007, my dad an I park the truck and walk up a steep slide and still hunt a loop about 2 miles in the evening. We get back to the road and start walking towards the truck. A buck crosses the road, and I get off the road andshoot it. (I did not recover that buck, it was a bad hit).

8. 2007, I am going for an evening duck hunt. On my way to where I want to park and walk this field, I see some ducks 50 or so yards off the road in a little pond (state property).I park the truck on the other side, crawl across, get to the edge of the road, and sneak through a little brush, stand up and when the ducks jump, BOOM! dead duck.

Call me what you want, but read the NV regs and tell me if any of these scenarios are illegal, I sure can't find anywhere.

I am any less of a hunter because I took these on opportunity? I don't think so, I worked my butt off and came got lucky with such an opportunity.

Later,

Marcial
Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

4. 2002, no deer, 2003, no deer, 2004, no dee

Later,

Marcial
THATS RIGHT PUT MEAT IN THE FREEFER I WOULD. i myself dont hunt for horns.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. How much land would you have to have to drive around looking for deer?
2. If you don't have permission, by the time you get it, the deer will probably be long gone.
3. If you do, with a ML, by the time you get out, get the weapon out, loaded, and off the road, it'll be long gone.
4. If you archery hunt, by the time you get out, get an arrow nocked, and get off the road, it's still gonna be long gone.
5. Don't even want to contemplate the trespassing issues or shooting from the road issues.
"nough said.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't care how big the buck is i wouldn't take the shot, because if i can't earn it buy scouting the way hunting is meant to be .If you have to drive around looking at fields to find a nice buck to shoot in my opion your not much of a hunter.
Here you can shoota bow from the road and as a matter of fact it is more encourage that you would shoot a deer from the road with a bow. Why? You might ask, it is because the ones hanging around the roads here are the same ones that end up in some ones grill later on. So to some it up it is to save an accident later on when the deer would end up being no good after it has been run into.

But, no I would not be riding around the roads just to find one that is running around our roads and highways just to shoot one. It is a lot more enjoying hunting for them on thier turf verses hunting for them in a roadway..
Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

AF Hunter,

I don't think he is talking about just driving around all day until he sees a deer and shoots it.

Take this for example:

You are hunting on some private property that you either own or have permission to.

The area is surrounded by state owned, National Forest, other property which you have permission to hunt, etc. Not all states are all private property and have to be hunted from a treestand. There is a lot of land that is open to anyone who passes by to do as they wish on that property.

You hunt all morning, come up empty handed, and then leave around 8 because you have a committment at noon, and don't want to be late.

As you are driving back to town through, or on the edge of the surrounding property, you see a legal animalsomewhere on that property, but it does not see you. You park the vehicle, get out and make a stalk on the animal and kill it. Its either do or die, you kill it and can still make the appt at noon, or miss the opportunity and go on your marry way.

Or what if you are on your way to your property and see an animal in that same spot?

As long as you are abding by the law in regards to shooting from the road, gun loaded, arrow nocked, etc, what is wrong with it?

Is it jealousy because a person shot a deer opportunistically to feed his 4 kids? How do you know the situation of the person who is hunting. Is it a person who has a walking disability and cannot walk well, so glasses animals from the road in the National Forest? There are many situations that cannot be judged from the outsite, but rather a more detailed evaluation is required.

Also, how do you know the animal will be long gone? That seems pesimistic to me. I thought hunters by nature were optomisitic?

If you know the area, the land, and have required permission, what tresspassing issues are there to deal with.

Later,

Marcial

Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

well here i am on public land i have sit there in my truck for five minutes by the road by the fields and i could even say stuff to them and they would not move.
I even told a few they would be in my freezer come hunting season.
i have even sit there and took pictures of them.
They have no propelm with you doing anything on or near the road here.
ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

2. If you don't have permission, by the time you get it, the deer will probably be long gone.
3. If you do, with a ML, by the time you get out, get the weapon out, loaded, and off the road, it'll be long gone.
4. If you archery hunt, by the time you get out, get an arrow nocked, and get off the road, it's still gonna be long gone.
5. Don't even want to contemplate the trespassing issues or shooting from the road issues.
"nough said.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

well here i am on public land i have sit there in my truck for five minutes by the road by the fields and i could even say stuff to them and they would not move.
I even told a few they would be in my freezer come hunting season.
i have even sit there and took pictures of them.
They have no propelm with you doing anything on or near the road here.
ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

"nough said.
back in my younger days of hunting i would drive the back woods roads with my radio blasting road hunting and was very successful
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

AF Hunter,

I don't think he is talking about just driving around all day until he sees a deer and shoots it.

Take this for example:

You are hunting on some private property that you either own or have permission to.

The area is surrounded by state owned, National Forest, other property which you have permission to hunt, etc. Not all states are all private property and have to be hunted from a treestand. There is a lot of land that is open to anyone who passes by to do as they wish on that property.

You hunt all morning, come up empty handed, and then leave around 8 because you have a committment at noon, and don't want to be late.

As you are driving back to town through, or on the edge of the surrounding property, you see a legal animalsomewhere on that property, but it does not see you. You park the vehicle, get out and make a stalk on the animal and kill it. Its either do or die, you kill it and can still make the appt at noon, or miss the opportunity and go on your marry way.

Or what if you are on your way to your property and see an animal in that same spot?

As long as you are abding by the law in regards to shooting from the road, gun loaded, arrow nocked, etc, what is wrong with it?

Is it jealousy because a person shot a deer opportunistically to feed his 4 kids? How do you know the situation of the person who is hunting. Is it a person who has a walking disability and cannot walk well, so glasses animals from the road in the National Forest? There are many situations that cannot be judged from the outsite, but rather a more detailed evaluation is required.

Also, how do you know the animal will be long gone? That seems pesimistic to me. I thought hunters by nature were optomisitic?

If you know the area, the land, and have required permission, what tresspassing issues are there to deal with.

Later,

Marcial

Chucky B,

1. BT asked a question and I replied with my answer based upon my experience and the laws governing hunting here. I'm sure BT expected different opinions from different people.
2. Here, if a deer can see you slow down to stop or if stopped already, get out of a vehicle, they do not hang around to see what you are up to.
3. "Is it jealousy because a person shot a deer opportunistically to feed his 4 kids?" Since you addressed this post to me, I will take it as you are asking me. All the land I hunt here is privately owned. If someone got a deer legally I feel happy for them. I have no jealousy of other hunters. However, by stating this, sounds like you have some issues as to the way you hunt. I hunt to put food on the table. If I get a chance at a nice buck, I will take it, but my reasons to be out there are actually threefold:
a. To put food on the table;
b. To spend time outdoors without the worries the outside world for a while;
c. To commune with the Lord.
4. If I were driving along the road and saw a "legal" animal on public land, instead of parking and stalking, I would have to drive around the whole property to see how many other hunters are in there. Then and only then would I make the determination on whether or not to go after this animal. Many states do not require a bow hunter to have blaze orange on, but bow season overlaps with firearm seasons. To go in without knowing who else is out there is IMO reckless and taking an unecessary risk with your own life to get some meat.
5. If your state allows driving around locked and loaded, that is your law. I would not do it as once again there are many factors that you do not have control over that could cause that weapons (in the case of firearms) to accidently go off.

If you'd like to debate this further, lets take to PM's.

BT, back when I hunted public land years ago, I spent many evenings glassing the land from a vantage point along the shoulder of the road to pattern the deer and plan my hunt, but as stated above for safety reasons, never followed one in. I just patterned them then on the day of the hunt arrived on scene well before hunting opened for the day, and then parked as close as I could to the point where I was going to hunt to let other hunters know there was someone fairly nearby. I have expressed on here many times, the ultimate goal of any hunt should be everyone goes home safe at the end.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

your right dead on charlie

AF Hunter,

Take this for example:

Later,

Marcial

Quick Reply: seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.