HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - seeing a deer from the road and stalking it
Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting from the road when you were driving.

your right dead on charlie
ORIGINAL: charlie brown

AF Hunter,

I don't think he is talking about just driving around all day until he sees a deer and shoots it.

Take this for example:

You are hunting on some private property that you either own or have permission to.

The area is surrounded by state owned, National Forest, other property which you have permission to hunt, etc. Not all states are all private property and have to be hunted from a treestand. There is a lot of land that is open to anyone who passes by to do as they wish on that property.

You hunt all morning, come up empty handed, and then leave around 8 because you have a committment at noon, and don't want to be late.

As you are driving back to town through, or on the edge of the surrounding property, you see a legal animalsomewhere on that property, but it does not see you. You park the vehicle, get out and make a stalk on the animal and kill it. Its either do or die, you kill it and can still make the appt at noon, or miss the opportunity and go on your marry way.

Or what if you are on your way to your property and see an animal in that same spot?

As long as you are abding by the law in regards to shooting from the road, gun loaded, arrow nocked, etc, what is wrong with it?

Is it jealousy because a person shot a deer opportunistically to feed his 4 kids? How do you know the situation of the person who is hunting. Is it a person who has a walking disability and cannot walk well, so glasses animals from the road in the National Forest? There are many situations that cannot be judged from the outsite, but rather a more detailed evaluation is required.

Also, how do you know the animal will be long gone? That seems pesimistic to me. I thought hunters by nature were optomisitic?

If you know the area, the land, and have required permission, what tresspassing issues are there to deal with.

Later,

Marcial