HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - seeing a deer from the road and stalking it
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting from the road when you were driving.

Ok, I think a lot of people are giving bigtim6656 a little too much on this. I read his post in the ML forum, and decided to pop over here.

A couple examples of what I have done. I hunt in NV. It is not legal to shoot from a vehicle, or from a county maintained road. It is legal to shoot from off of the road, regardless of how far away the vehicle is.

1. 1999 dad and I are hunting all morning, probably hike 3 miles, cime up with nothing. My mom picks us up, says theres deer over here, we get in, she drives us over, we get out and shoot the deer.

2. I am hiking all day long looking for deer, come up with nothing. We go to a spot, and glass a mountainside from the truck. Seea nice buck 400 yards distant. Dad and I stalk over and I take the deer at 50 yards. That was in 2000.

3. Again, dad and I are hiking all day long. Get back to the vehicles, and start having lunch. See a deer walking over the ridge. I shoot the deer. that was 2001.

4. 2002, no deer, 2003, no deer, 2004, no deer

5. 2005 cow elk taken with a ml by walking along an old abandoned 2-track road, which does not fall into the "shooting from a road" category. We make a stalk from 500 yards to 75, and I bring home the bacon.

6. 2006 I huntsome high ridges all day long see some deer, but do not connect. Buddy and I walk back to the 4 wheelers and begin riding down to meet our dads and friend. Drivig along, deer 50 yards off road. We both get off and get to roads edge, and I get my deer.

7. 2007, my dad an I park the truck and walk up a steep slide and still hunt a loop about 2 miles in the evening. We get back to the road and start walking towards the truck. A buck crosses the road, and I get off the road andshoot it. (I did not recover that buck, it was a bad hit).

8. 2007, I am going for an evening duck hunt. On my way to where I want to park and walk this field, I see some ducks 50 or so yards off the road in a little pond (state property).I park the truck on the other side, crawl across, get to the edge of the road, and sneak through a little brush, stand up and when the ducks jump, BOOM! dead duck.

Call me what you want, but read the NV regs and tell me if any of these scenarios are illegal, I sure can't find anywhere.

I am any less of a hunter because I took these on opportunity? I don't think so, I worked my butt off and came got lucky with such an opportunity.

Later,

Marcial