Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attn: Veterans **UPDATED** >

Attn: Veterans **UPDATED**

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attn: Veterans **UPDATED**

Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attn: Veterans

I have a 7 acre pond (stocked)
1 one acre pond (stocked)
1/2 acre pond (suffered winter fish kill)
2 - quarter acre ponds (also suffered winter fish kill)

The land I am looking at for this endeavor also has a stocked pond about 1/2 acre in size
Old 08-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attn: Veterans

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I'd make sure you could facilitate disabled veterans: such as amputees. Here in Iowa all buildings have to be handicap accessible (except homes). Since we will be catering to disabled veterans too, everything here will be build with the disabled in mind to include handicap stands.

I think in order to keep it busy- you would absolutely need to open the facility to FireFighters, EMT's, Paramedics, Haz-Mat Techs and other civil service personnel. I have been getting opposing positions on this one. I think after the board of directors is in place and we've been open for a while, I will bring this one up again.

I can almost garuntee you that No limits Outdoors would be more than honored to take part in this operation. We are a new production company, comprised of veternas. Most of our staff have previously been on TV hunting shows either as cameraman or hunter and also appeared in many DVD's. I'd have to mention it to our owner/founder- but I can assure you that he would be interested. That's great and greatly appreciated!!! I will definately stay in touch on this one!

This sounds like a great plan.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Attn: Veterans **UPDATED**

Bottom line, they're not the same. The average firefighter, EMT, mailcarrier or whateverdoesn't experience in a lifetime what a GI on the line experiences in a single firefight. Most policemen will probably never fire a gun in anger or fear. Most of them if they get hurt on the job or injured they get a full pension that's much more than a GI will get. Their medical is taken care of for life etc etc etc. I hate to say it, but it seems like in the firefighter and police business, when ever they get close to retirement or get enough points or years many get in an altercation and end up with "A bad Back" or some such thing. I've seen it too many times to discount the possibility of mischief at play. It's your dream, you can do what you want with it, but I just don't buy into the Post 911 business that all firemen, policemen etc are heros. They volunteer for the job for the bennies, early retirement and locked job security no matter what. You want to make someone a hero simply because of the job they do, pick a teacher in todays classroom under todays rules. Don't mix up your initial idea for helping the GI's to let's have a mixed neighborhood. Heck, teachers would be better than most policemen and firemen.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do agree in part. 95% maybe even 99% of fireman and emts and police officers never come close to what a GI does in todays world.
I do how ever think if a GI get injured they get benefits. full medical. and a VA disability check around 2500 a month i think.

I do how ever feel most GI get screwed by the va the govt. and the D.O.D when they get out but if they work hard and meet the right people they can get taken care off.

I think the original. idea is best maybe have a domestic heros hunt or something for fireman police and so on.
ORIGINAL: davidmil

Bottom line, they're not the same. The average firefighter, EMT, mailcarrier or whateverdoesn't experience in a lifetime what a GI on the line experiences in a single firefight. Most policemen will probably never fire a gun in anger or fear. Most of them if they get hurt on the job or injured they get a full pension that's much more than a GI will get. Their medical is taken care of for life etc etc etc. I hate to say it, but it seems like in the firefighter and police business, when ever they get close to retirement or get enough points or years many get in an altercation and end up with "A bad Back" or some such thing. I've seen it too many times to discount the possibility of mischief at play. It's your dream, you can do what you want with it, but I just don't buy into the Post 911 business that all firemen, policemen etc are heros. They volunteer for the job for the bennies, early retirement and locked job security no matter what. You want to make someone a hero simply because of the job they do, pick a teacher in todays classroom under todays rules. Don't mix up your initial idea for helping the GI's to let's have a mixed neighborhood. Heck, teachers would be better than most policemen and firemen.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although I dont have any statistics to back it up, I would bet that the percentage of policeman and military that have fired a weapon in the line of duty is damn near equal.

I served in the army for 8 years, with a tour in Kosovo. And have since been a police officer for 8 years. The percentage of both careers is very low in firing a weapon. Even with Iraq and Afghanistan.

And wtf are you talking about police and fire volunteering for the job for benefits and early retirement (bothare below standards). You have no clue what your are talking bout. Thats just like someone saying our military is full of kids just wanting some college money.

Have some respect for the people that protect you in hometown and your country.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom line, they're not the same.
I agree there is a difference. As most law enforcement/firefighters do not have to face a lot of the dangers a service person does.
The average firefighter, EMT, mailcarrier or whateverdoesn't experience in a lifetime what a GI on the line experiences in a single firefight.
Personally, I admire what firefighters do. I would rather be in a firefight again than have to enter a large building of any type that is ablaze.
Most policemen will probably never fire a gun in anger or fear.
I know eight or nine officers that have been in shootouts with a-holes hopped up on PCP or meth. I would rather take on your average enemy soldier than someone doped upthat doesn't feel pain.
Most of them if they get hurt on the job or injured they get a full pension that's much more than a GI will get. Their medical is taken care of for life etc etc etc.
I agree that service personnel are treated like second class citizens when it comes to medical benefits. I pay for my health insurance and dental insurance now and have sizable deductables and out of pocket expenses. But I wouldn'thold againsta fireman or policeman his benefits because the federal government use service persons up and then dispose of us. It's time we get representatives that stand up for military persons and start getting us benefits we earned.
I hate to say it, but it seems like in the firefighter and police business, when ever they get close to retirement or get enough points or years many get in an altercation and end up with "A bad Back" or some such thing.
Everyone of the cases like this I have seen have been in big cities outEast that make the national news.
I've seen it too many times to discount the possibility of mischief at play.
I've seen soldiers do the same thing. One shot himself in the foot and claimed it was terrorists, but the powder burns on his boot blew that story out of the water. Another, faked his own suicidefor his wife to collect the insurance. I served on the courts-martials in both ofthese cases. Heck, turn on the TV anymore and there are horror stories about what military personnel are doing.
It's your dream, you can do what you want with it, but I just don't buy into the Post 911 business that all firemen, policemen etc are heros. They volunteer for the job for the bennies, early retirement and locked job security no matter what.
Many in thetoday's all volunteer military are doing the same. I joined to serve the country and stayed because I felt like I found my home. I had job offers in the last 8 years of service that paid a lot more, but stayed for my retirement benefits. We can serve for 20 years and get out at 37 or 38 years old and collect a retirement check the rest of our lives. The average police officer or firefighter has to have 22 years service and be 55 before they collect.
You want to make someone a hero simply because of the job they do, pick a teacher in todays classroom under todays rules.
IMHO, you are way off base here. The quality of teacher's has been going downhill for decades. When I was in school, teachers would stay and help a student every night if needed to ensure they understood the subject being taught. One of my children's teachers told me once that if my daughter didn't understand physics, it was her responsibility to find someone to put it in terms she could understand. It wasn't his problem. That attitude was widespread during the last 10 years. A teacher should teach, not just regurgitate what is written in a book.
Don't mix up your initial idea for helping the GI's to let's have a mixed neighborhood. Heck, teachers would be better than most policemen and firemen.
I am not sure firefighters and police officers should be eligible to enjoy here, but I have the utmost respect for most of them in that line of work. If we damn the whole for the actions of a few, the military would have been damned fromthe very beginning of exsistence.

I used bold italics in this post to differentiate between Davidmil's comments and my responses only. It should not be taken in any other way.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

You have your opinion, I have mine. I spent 2 years in Vietnam. I don't know of anyone in the line companies I was in that didn't fire tons of ammo downrange. I remember once having to back off and postpone the war while the squadron took on 11 chinook loads of fuel and ammo. Backing off was out of direct rifle fire. We started with 105 vehicles running and finished the 4 days with 65. We shot ammo by the thousands. The difference in Military and your home town heros, when you're in a war zone you do it 24/7. My longest stint in the woods was 43 days hunting. Admittedly, admin types in the rear and support people rarely fired a shot. Fireman work what, 2 or 3 days a week. Police work a shift. As far as teachers staying late... they can't. Lawsuits and claims of touching etc have gotten things to the point a teacher cannot be alone with someone. When my wife taught the last few years they were told under NO circumstances do you put yourself alone with a child. They're not allowed to give a kid a ride or anything because of lawsuits. They are required by law to have a plan to suit each childs need. Extremely difficult with the inclusion rules. Teachers today are more like a warden because the laws and liberals demand no one be left behind and throw all in a big pot.

Below is a crop from Vietnam statistics. If you'll note, the highest casualty rate for all MOS's including aircraft, helicopters, infantry and all was armored cavalry crewman. We lost 27 percent KIA. Don't tell me we didn't shoot bullets. This is from National Archive Statistics.

http://www.rjsmith.com/kia_tbl.html