Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Take two people of average "smarts" who didn't go to collage
EI........nah...lol....

Ya know....EI....you're not entirely wrong on this.

If that man (the son) married and bore children with a woman of "upper" intelligence capacity.........and their kids did similarly.........then I can see how this could relate to the topic at hand.

Problem is......the buck ain't "real particular" about who he "marries". In an uncontrolled environemnt.....where he could (and will) mate with "any" receptive doe. So.....it's not logical to expect that great of things from them.

BUT....if you COULD control who's he's mating with.....and manage it, strictly.........

.....I believe a deer could be president by the year 2,274.
Notice I'm using your whole quote.Using my little scenario, there is no doubt, over time/generations, if the learning trend continues, you're going to wind up with smarter and smarter offspring. I don't care how many PT'ssay differently. Intelligence is passed down throughgenetics over time.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not agree to consent to AR's on private land. It is a philosophical stand I take against the government on alot of issues. Nothing personal, I just think the government (whoever they are) gets too involved in many areas of our lives. Like I said, I agree with bag limits, but not AR's. Bag limitshelp managethe herd, whereas AR restrictions are about growing bigger bucks. Growing bigger bucks should not be an issue that the government has any control over. They should however be concerned and have every right to help increase/reduce the herd based on scientific data, not ego driven policies such as AR's.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Intelligence is passed down throughgenetics over time.
Yeah....how much time we talkin......and how many "mulligans" do we get? What happens when an intelligent man marries Paris Hilton? (OK......I admit....I "went there"....in my mind....for a second[8D])

If we could manage the "good" genes in both bucks and does.....and weed out the "bad" genes......

Then........We'd grow 'em JUST LIKE the deer farmers do. Why woudn't we? If we could feed them like the deer farmers.....in the wild....we'd have similar results.

We have to realize.....that not all deer went to "Collage", though. Most are grade school dropouts. Hell we had a deer, here, last year.....that offered to help me drag another one in exchange for safe passage to an oak flat.

Managing deer for "intelligence"?

Are we really discussing this? I think my IQ went down while I was typing.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

This thread is a good example of why I never get bored cruising the bowhunting section.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

This thread is a good example of why I never get bored cruising the bowhunting section.
You're welcome
Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I do not agree to consent to AR's on private land. It is a philosophical stand I take against the government on alot of issues. Nothing personal, I just think the government (whoever they are) gets too involved in many areas of our lives. Like I said, I agree with bag limits, but not AR's. Bag limitshelp managethe herd, whereas AR restrictions are about growing bigger bucks. Growing bigger bucks should not be an issue that the government has any control over. They should however be concerned and have every right to help increase/reduce the herd based on scientific data, not ego driven policies such as AR's.
So you don't think that AR's combined with proper doe management helps to manage the deer herd?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Yeah....how much time we talkin......and how many "mulligans" do we get? What happens when an intelligent man marries Paris Hilton? (OK......I admit....I "went there"....in my mind....for a second[8D])

If we could manage the "good" genes in both bucks and does.....and weed out the "bad" genes......

Then........We'd grow 'em JUST LIKE the deer farmers do. Why woudn't we? If we could feed them like the deer farmers.....in the wild....we'd have similar results.

We have to realize.....that not all deer went to "Collage", though. Most are grade school dropouts. Hell we had a deer, here, last year.....that offered to help me drag another one in exchange for safe passage to an oak flat.

Managing deer for "intelligence"?

Are we really discussing this? I think my IQ went down while I was typing.

If you're going to quote me, please use the wholequote.I remember what this thread is about, and what I'm talking about is AR's eventually leading to bucks being able to have better survival instincts. Please, no spin. Oh yea,sorry to hear about your IQ.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Seriously, EI....I quoted the entire sentence. You started with a big letter and eneded it with a period and everything.

I remember what this thread is about, and what I'm talking about is AR's eventually leading to bucks being able to have better survival instincts.
Again......you're in the quicksand....and you've missed every rope thrown your way. Some even told you if you'd go ahead and sink....it would be less painful.

So....explain that quote to me. If telling a hunter he can't shoot a buck, ONLY because it doesn't have a big enough rack, equals buck "intelligence"....then you got me.

By the very definition of AR's.....he doesn't NEED "survival instincts". He gets a free pass.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again......you're in the quicksand....and you've missed every rope thrown your way. Some even told you if you'd go ahead and sink....it would be less painful.
Some day I wanna grow up to be just like Jeff.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, I have to be honest. Your back and forth child likeramblings get old. How's this?You're right Jeff!Kirk out.

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.