Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

To argue that its ok sometimes to tell people what they can/cannot shoot, but other times its not ok is ridiculous. I suppose its ony ok as long as you agree

1.5 year old bucks vary too much to know who will wind up being top dog as a mature buck. Letting them live longer helps to sort out the best genes on thier own, as opposed to randomly distributing them as 1.5's. Living longer in and of itself, does absolutely nothing regarding passing on "smart" genes. But getting them past that first year when they are the dumbest, can help them live a 3rd & 4th season even though they are no longer getting free passes.

Jeff,
My attempt to exlain what you are askingEI is this:
As 1.5's you can't tell at all what a bucks genetic make up will eventually turn out to be. So a bigger at the time buck, may breed over one who's smaller, but carries better genes. Or you can just say that all 1.5's will breed, rather than letting them get older and sorted out such that the biggest stringest bucks breed.

And I've read studies, where having more mature bucks in the herd, supresses young bucks from breeding, hence they do not expend energy to do so, and in turn can grow and maximize thier potential sooner in life. ie you end up with a healthier herd.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Check post 165
???????????????????

That 3.5 yr old buck's genes don't get "no smarter"if they stay in his loins for 2 more years. He has the SAME genetic composition as a 1.5yr old as he will have as a 3.5 yr old.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

That 3.5 yr old buck's genes don't get "no smarter"if they stay in his loins for 2 more years. He has the SAME genetic composition as a 1.5yr old as he will have as a 3.5 yr old.
I agree.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Check post 165
???????????????????

They won't stay in his loins, he'll breed. It will become a progressive thing. At some point he'll be putting a 3 1/2 year old's genes into a doe. No? I'll be back after lunch.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where did anyone say "Genes" get smarter?

I read deer is smarter[8D]From Early
Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

And I've read studies, where having more mature bucks in the herd, supresses young bucks from breeding, hence they do not expend energy to do so, and in turn can grow and maximize thier potential sooner in life. ie you end up with a healthier herd.
I'm wondering (help me) how this constitutes a "healthier herd". Who's to say the genes the 3.5yr old is carrying are superior to the ones the 1.5yr old is carrying? Just because the 3.5yr old is doing a lot of breeding.....is this necessarily a "good" thing? IF you view a better cross-section of age groups as being a "healthier herd".....then I see your point. I look at it like this......

Give me a team of stud freshmen baseball players......and pit them against a group of mediocre juniors and seniors....and Ill take my chances with the youngsters. You're guaranteeing (by instituting AR's....in a LOT of instances) that the inferior bucks WILLlive to see another year.....when maybe they aren't the best breeding stock you have. What could be better than "natural selection".....and letting the TRUE cream of the crop rise? Will you kill some of these potential studs by NOT having AR's? Yep. Will as many inferior bucks slip through the cracks (by virtue SOLELEY of what's on their heads)? Yep. They're breeding, too.

It would seem to me.....that the bucks who elude hunters (although they risk peril, every year.....regardless of their headgear)are thegreatest examples of "natural selection". I've never seen any studies that show that a larger rack = intelligence.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: early in

Check post 165
???????????????????

They won't stay in his loins, he'll breed. It will become a progressive thing. At some point he'll be putting a 3 1/2 year old's genes into a doe. No? I'll be back after lunch.
Ok now you're on your own
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

At some point he'll be putting a 3 1/2 year old's genes into a doe. No?
Sure. The SAME genes he'd been putting in her as a 1.5 yr old.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm wondering (help me) how this constitutes a "healthier herd". Who's to say the genes the 3.5yr old is carrying are superior to the ones the 1.5yr old is carrying? Just because the 3.5yr old is doing a lot of breeding.....is this necessarily a "good" thing? IF you view a better cross-section of age groups as being a "healthier herd".....then I see your point. I look at it like this......

Give me a team of stud freshmen baseball players......and pit them against a group of mediocre juniors and seniors....and Ill take my chances with the youngsters. You're guaranteeing (by instituting AR's....in a LOT of instances) that the inferior bucks WILLlive to see another year.....when maybe they aren't the best breeding stock you have. What could be better than "natural selection".....and letting the TRUE cream of the crop rise? Will you kill some of these potential studs by NOT having AR's? Yep. Will as many inferior bucks slip through the cracks (by virtue SOLELEY of what's on their heads)? Yep. They're breeding, too.

It would seem to me.....that the bucks who elude hunters (although they risk peril, every year.....regardless of their headgear)are thegreatest examples of "natural selection". I've never seen any studies that show that a larger rack = intelligence.
This whole thing reminds me of 5 years ago.

1. Much of whatI read says that genetic makeup/potential CANNOT be determined from 1st year racks. So you have just as much chance at killing the next booner whether you shoot a forky or a basket 8.
2. What I (my opinion only) is that, a healthier herd is one that allows the deer to grow and reach thier potential and lets THEM sort out who breeds. (to the best extent possible).
3. Bucks eluding hunters in PA have nothing to do with being the best at elduing hunters nad being the best natural selection tool, it ALL has to do with random luck.
4. The significance of small(less points) bucks living real long and dilluting down the gene pool is statistically insignificant. We are not over run with mature 4 pts like the gloom & doomers predicted.
5. No one said AR's are perfect, and I know they have thier short comings. BUT unless you can get a VAST majority of people to buy in to QDM, one of the few ways to achieve saving a few more bucks each season, is implementing an AR program
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I think you and are are coming to the same question ....... Superior genes = Rack size??????? Any science behind this???

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.