HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
rybohunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

To argue that its ok sometimes to tell people what they can/cannot shoot, but other times its not ok is ridiculous. I suppose its ony ok as long as you agree

1.5 year old bucks vary too much to know who will wind up being top dog as a mature buck. Letting them live longer helps to sort out the best genes on thier own, as opposed to randomly distributing them as 1.5's. Living longer in and of itself, does absolutely nothing regarding passing on "smart" genes. But getting them past that first year when they are the dumbest, can help them live a 3rd & 4th season even though they are no longer getting free passes.

Jeff,
My attempt to exlain what you are askingEI is this:
As 1.5's you can't tell at all what a bucks genetic make up will eventually turn out to be. So a bigger at the time buck, may breed over one who's smaller, but carries better genes. Or you can just say that all 1.5's will breed, rather than letting them get older and sorted out such that the biggest stringest bucks breed.

And I've read studies, where having more mature bucks in the herd, supresses young bucks from breeding, hence they do not expend energy to do so, and in turn can grow and maximize thier potential sooner in life. ie you end up with a healthier herd.