Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you can only kill certain bucks, that lets"more" bucks live longer to spread desireable genes and help keep a closer buck to doe ratio.
What makes a 3.5yr old buck's genes more "desireable" than they were as a 1.5 yr old?
Smarts/experience!They live longer and pass on these traits through their genes.BTW, "earn a buck" would work well in my specific area where we have a TON of deer, and I'm all for it! However, in many regions of Pa that's not the answer because of low doe/deer numbers. It would have to be county specific here in Pa.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

If you can only kill certain bucks, that lets"more" bucks live longer to spread desireable genes and help keep a closer buck to doe ratio.
What makes a 3.5yr old buck's genes more "desireable" than they were as a 1.5 yr old?
Smarts/experience!They live longer and pass on these traits through their genes.BTW, "earn a buck" would work well in my specific area where we have a TON of deer, and I'm all for it! However, in many regions of Pa that's not the answer because of low doe/deer numbers. It would have to be county specific here in Pa.
Early .... if they live longer because they outsmart hunters, I could see your point .... but if they live longer because they are not a viable target anymore ... then point lost and I am still confused ....
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Preach
No 1.5 deer out smarts a hunter They just get lucky

The other factor I like about AR's and it has been proven in PA is safty. Hunter's shooting hunters is down. One most check before trigger is pulled. I think OBR helps in the same way.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Preach
No 1.5 deer out smarts a hunter They just get lucky
I bet they get smart pretty quick ... if I was being hunted and someone nicked my arse with an arrow, (or put it in "the void"[8D]), I would learn something

Early made a statement about AR's allowing the smarter bucks to make it longer, thus improving the quality of the herd ...... that is what I was responding to ..... makes no sense top me

I think OBR helps in the same way.
Again ... not the sharpest tool in the shed [X(]..... what is "OBR"?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

One Buck Rule

I think after a 1.5 makes in through a season he's a little smarter. Even if not shot at he learns a thing or two

I do not think AR's make any deer smarter[8D]
Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: early in

Early .... if they live longer because they outsmart hunters, I could see your point .... but if they live longer because they are not a viable target anymore ... then point lost and I am still confused ....
If they are allowed to live longer as a result of AR's, they will have more encounters with hunters, giving them more experience in avoiding them. Does this still not make sense? With age comes experience, that's what I'm referring to.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

So its OK to tell a guy that he CAN’T shoot ANY buck, until he shoots a doe.
BUT it’s NOT OK to tell him that he CAN’T shoot a buck with X number of points.
Makes perfect sense. [&:]
When your herd dynamics are as ours are, Rybo......damn right its OK to tell him this.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Jim:

You have 3 times the hunters we have......but we have damn near the same amount of deer. Change the bag limits.....and bring 'em on. We need some culling to occur.

EI:

Smarts/experience!They live longer and pass on these traits through their genes.
That 3.5 yr old buck's genes don't get "no smarter"if they stay in his loins for 2 more years. He has the SAME genetic composition as a 1.5yr old as he will have as a 3.5 yr old.

That's why I asked you (and will, again) to explain your point.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check post 165
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

So its OK to tell a guy that he CAN’T shoot ANY buck, until he shoots a doe.
BUT it’s NOT OK to tell him that he CAN’T shoot a buck with X number of points.
Makes perfect sense. [&:]
When your herd dynamics are as ours are, Rybo......damn right its OK to tell him this.
See Jeff, we can agree on some things. And I do, big time!

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.