Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jumping deer while checking cams. >

Jumping deer while checking cams.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jumping deer while checking cams.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jumping deer while checking cams.

How often do you jump deer when going to check trail cams? I jumped 2 today, but they didnt seem threatend, they just trotted away. no snort or nothing. But humans are no strangers to my deer either. But Im just wondering, how often do you run over deer going to check your cams in the summer..

And what effect do you think it has on you, in your area?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Jumping deer while checking cams.

Mine's actually in a cow pasture, aaron. They see the landowner mow in there about 4 or 5 times a year......and the man who owns the cattle walks in there, occasionally (but not TOO much....we've talked about it).

It's also a pretty good ways from anywhere I'd hunt (3-400yds). SO...I dont worry that much about it. I also try to check them in off-peak times....like the middle of the day.

AND....lol...I'm pulling it 3 weeks before the season....so I won't be tempted to go back in there.

Translation.....I wouldn't worry about it....unless I had it set up where I was gonna hunt....and I was going in during prime time. Just use your common sense.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually bump a couple each time but I just keep walking hopefully so they don't act threatened. Most of the time I try to have my cams where I can drive up close to them. That'll spook em to but they'll get use to my truck. Just like a farm vehicle I hope.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The other day I bumped a doe and 2 fawns when I went in to pull my camera. I didn't like it all to well but I guess thats what happens when your in the woods. I always try going in at times I think the deer won't be moving, doesn't always work though. Don't check them as frequent, hard to do but I'm trying to make myself do it.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Translation.....I wouldn't worry about it....unless I had it set up where I was gonna hunt....and I was going in during prime time. Just use your common sense.
Ill be straight up and honest, It IS where I'm going to hunt and Ive been there Twice, Duing Prime time.... Never again, I pulled the cam, and gonna put it out on some other properties. but season doesnt open till Oct 4th,

they'll be another hay cut, Corn mst be cut,neighbor works his mules down there all the time, and I gotta trail cam pic of a couple taking a "nature walk"

I may put it on my place again in late august, just to get a last check before Oct. But NOT near any stands.

I sometimes get excited and get the wrong train of thought, as in, I want this cam here, to see if I want a stand here, and I know thats not how you do it, It just boosts my confidence.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't check them as frequent, hard to do but I'm trying to make myself do it.
You have no Idea[:@]As I said I pulled my cam, and Im thinking of moving it to my other location 25 miles away... that will cure me $$
Old 08-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Don't check them as frequent, hard to do but I'm trying to make myself do it.
You have no Idea[:@]As I said I pulled my cam, and Im thinking of moving it to my other location 25 miles away... that will cure me $$
Lmao!!! I'm no different Aaron but I'm gettin better.