Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

jumping deer

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Default jumping deer

The other day i had terriable luck. I was heading to my stand in the morning before light as ive done many of times. i enter the woods the same way i always do next to a unchopped corn field 200yards away from my stand andas i came apon the egde of the woods i jump deer on my walking trail and also in thecorn.so i stop and waited a whileand i continued to my stand. hoping they would come back and nothing so i gotout mid day. so couple hours later i when back to my stand for the night this time i choosed to walk the long way threw the woods, the opposite way the deer went in the morning. as i got near my stand i jumped some more deerpossible the same ones,bedded next to my stand again i waited and continued to my stand and sat hoping they would come and nothin.what should i do in this case cause i don't want to continue to jump these deer out.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: jumping deer

Maybe get to your stand earlier. You might be able to beat them there.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some stands are just plain hard to approach, I have found that if it is dark even though you jump the deer they don't necessarily know what it was they jsut plain spook, the trick is to leave no human scent trail, often if you jump a deer and it is unsure it will circle back to give a sniff down of the area, if it doesn't smell danger chances are it won't bother them to much
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

If the deer were bedded near the stand, are you hunting their bedding area?

It is better to hunt over the trails coming out of their bedroom. If you spook them out of the bedding area too much they will find somewhere else to be. Wouldn't you?

You need to place the stand on their travel routes, not the destination most of the time. Otherwise, you run a higher risk of bumping them.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM

You'll end up blowing them out.. you push them enough; they will move on...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Let me ask.....are you baiting?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM

i haven't baited nor used any attractive scents the only thing i 've been using is a good cover spary and deer dander on my boots to cover my steps.