Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scent control to stand!! >

scent control to stand!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent control to stand!!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scent control to stand!!

I don't worry that much about it. I don't care if it is 95 degree's and if I want to go hunting then I go. I never use any scent control products just a bunch of hype IMHO!!! Hunt the wind that is the best thing to do anytime of the year. And to give you an answer to your question the only way to not sweet is to not go when it is hot.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

ORIGINAL: bowtech.tribute

How do you guys keep from sweating walking to your stand when it is so hot in the early season? Im in a t shirt and i still sweat!!
First of all I don't even bother hunting if it's over 75 degrees.

Where I hunt, it could be over 75 degrees all the way though December.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plan your entry and exit routes to avoid crossing anywhere you believe a deer may come from / go. It's VERY tough to do this, but I do my best. The only way I've found to avoid over-contaminating a hunting area is to very rarely hunt the same stand twice, run and gun nearly all my sets, and to wear nothing but a T-shirt out to my spots, and carry my upper garments with me.

I basically consider myself "stinking" no matter what time of year, the conditions, etc... IMO, whether you are sweating or not, your still going to get busted, so don't worry about it as much when its hot.

Let me put it this way; I'd rather sweat my butt off getting a stand set in a brand new area every night than to sneak into a "perfect" set over and over again because it was already set. The biggest killers of any good stand is human scent going in and coming out. You are leaving enough scent behind that a deer can smell it for DAYS sometimes (depending on conditions). This is the biggest undiscussed topic amungst hunters. Guys spray their feet with some magic juice and think they are fine. Not so much!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This one is easy.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some of that coon pee and spray it on the bottom of your boots. The scent is so strong itreally helps coveryour human scent.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Or you could just go to the Alberta Bow zone, where its cooler.

Anyone ever been?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I don't wear my outter layer when walking to stand early in the season. I roll it up
and stuff it in my pack. I still spray myself down prior to walking in though.

Rob
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I walk in just in a T shirt and pants, I carry my hunting clothes in a pack and change at my stand. The real key is to just go slow in the heat. I hunt some hilly country, sometimes it takes me half an hour to climb hills I normally would be up in 10 minutes. If it is close to 80 however I just do not hunt. Heat is the only weather condition that keeps me from going out. Sweating makes it miserable for me.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i rub down real good with scent free deodorant and i am a big guy but i walk slow real slow in dark mornings.
Do not run to your stand hike more and wipe down when you get there.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 PM

I usally avoid using a climber when its over 70 out. I walk slow and wipe off when i get to my stand. Then i dousche in scent killing spray. Thats about it.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dress as light as possible and try to enter my stand from the downwind side and if possible try not to cross any deer trails. Your gonna sweat no matter what. Bathing in no scent soap just before you head out and spraying down with scent killer type products helps alot. I also use dead down winds field wipes and body foam once I get to my stand. It truly does seem to help.