Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Attractant Tests >

Deer Attractant Tests

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Attractant Tests

Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Attractant Tests

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

I have had no luck w/ buck jam or acorn rage.
I have had mixed results in the past on Deer Cocain.
I am now very reluctant to try anything.

I am intrigued by the trophy rock. Any tips on that? How long before season do most people put them out?
Trophy rock is sea salt that is mined in Utah with "trace minerals". You place 5 - 10 ft off a trail and the deer will find it.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

AF, great information and thank you for taking the time and expense to do this and share with us.

I've used the trophy rock with some success. It's gotten activity on a fairly regular basis. The nice thing about the trophy rock is they last a good long time and don't need to be refreshed which will spread your scent around. I used 30-06 and it got some activity, but not anywhere near what would justify the cost.

This year I started making my own using trace minerals, dicalcium phosphate, and Buck Grub that I got on sale for $6 for a 25 lb. bag. The results have been impressive. I've gone through about 120 lbs. of it since April and have had to freshen up the site as often as every 2 weeks. I know the traffic will die down come fall, but I use it to get pics and not to hunt over so I'm not worried about that.

With that, I'm curious to try Acorn Rage as I hunt a lot of oak stands and since it is a food attractant would be curious to see how deer react to that in season. I'd probably put it over a trail cam site more for research purposes than hunting, but I am curious and will likely try it.
If you hunt oak stands and deer know when acorns are in season, I don't know if it would be that beneficial. The new stuff I am presently testing is showing a lot of promise right now. I have the Supermax (which is an attractant) and will be putting out Advantage 360 (which is a mineral supplement) shortly. Have to wait a little bit, I only have two trailcams.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy they are really tearing up the Supermax! I am really astonished how quick they located it 30' off a trail and how long they are staying around. It will be neat to see the final numbers. I was also told the Advantage 360 is good. Advantage 360 is not an attractant but a supplement with very little salt. I am getting some next Wednesday to put out and see what happens. A friend of mine has gone through 200 lbs since 1st of June and says he is going to send me photos of his bucks.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Spike

AF Hunter, keep us posted on your results. I will be taking my cameras out to set them up soon, and would like to try something new to bring them to the camera. Last year I tried the trophy rock, for some reason they wouldn't touch it. Also Buck Jam persimmon flavor- no results. Pig out no results. The old standby corn does get results, but thats a pain.
I am curious about the Supermax. What is it and who makes it? Will probably try the Deer CoCaine this year. Also have a trophy rock out this year, been out for couple months. Haven't been up to check it in about a month, but last time I checked they haven't been hitting it. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Baybuzzard

AF Hunter, keep us posted on your results. I will be taking my cameras out to set them up soon, and would like to try something new to bring them to the camera. Last year I tried the trophy rock, for some reason they wouldn't touch it. Also Buck Jam persimmon flavor- no results. Pig out no results. The old standby corn does get results, but thats a pain.
I am curious about the Supermax. What is it and who makes it? Will probably try the Deer CoCaine this year. Also have a trophy rock out this year, been out for couple months. Haven't been up to check it in about a month, but last time I checked they haven't been hitting it. Thanks.
Went and looked at the empty bag of the Supermax, it's made by Xtreme Whitetail Products. The website on the bag is XWT-LLC.com. I'll have to look at the website and see if you can order straight from the manufacturer or if you have to find a local dealer.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

AF,

Thanks for sharing. It's truly a great service you are doing the rest of the hunting community here.

I have another question for you though, and I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread but, which product so far is the best bang for the buck? I mean in terms of the length of time it will last versus its effectiveness?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

AF,

Thanks for sharing. It's truly a great service you are doing the rest of the hunting community here.

I have another question for you though, and I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread but, which product so far is the best bang for the buck? I mean in terms of the length of time it will last versus its effectiveness?
HH,

So far the one that has lasted the longest would be the trophy rock. Of course since it is a hard salt/mineral rock vs powder, it would naturally be visible longer. With the powders, they do soak into the soil so it's hard to say how long they continue to attract deer once it is no longer visible to the human eye. I have a feeling, I'm going to be checking these spots for a long time after I quit reloading them. I'll have more stats once the Supermax has been out for a week. I did go back to check and see how long after the products were placed before a deer showed up and here are the results:
Trophy Rock: 36 hours (14.99)
Deer CoCAIN (Black Magic): 27 hours (7.99)
C'mere Deer: 50 hours (19.99)
Salt Lick: 80 hours (5.70)
Supermax: 12 hours (9.99)
All times are rounded to the nearest hour as I did not record the exact hour/minute I put them out.

For the best bang for the buck (no pun intended), its hard to say. So far, the Supermax attracted deer faster than any other product checked, the deer I got photos of in the first 24 hours were bigger bucks than previously recorded with other products, and they have stayed there longer than with the other products. But I still don't have the number of total deer frequenting the spot yet. I will pull the pics off the trailcam on Wednesday and will have complete stats for that then.

Crap! you made me think more and it really hurt! Since I have placed all the aforementioned items along the same trail from a bedding area, I need to see how many deer were hitting it on the way out vs how many were hitting it on the way back. Thanks HH, make me do more work! I'll run those numbers on Wednesday too.

Side Note: Leave Milwaukee and move away from the big city environment to a nice quiet place like....West Allis? (Lived in West Allis back in the late 80's).

Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Crap! you made me think more and it really hurt! Since I have placed all the aforementioned items along the same trail from a bedding area, I need to see how many deer were hitting it on the way out vs how many were hitting it on the way back.
C'mon Mark, we need you to be on the ball here. Quit crossing your eyes and dotting your T's. We're not paying you good money for nothing now!

Side Note: Leave Milwaukee and move away from the big city environment to a nice quiet place like....West Allis? (Lived in West Allis back in the late 80's).
stallis isnice and quiet? Oh yeah, you did say late 80's. That was when everything west of 43rd Street aka Sherman BLVD was nice and quiet. Now you have to put a 1 before the 4 for that to be the case.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Is it valid???/ yes and no. The no part might be when you set them out. For example, when the does are carrying fawns and have just had them they'll hit salt heavy and daily. By mid summer they'll just leave it alone except for an occasional walk by the old salt source. I'd say if you put them near each other at the same time you'd find within a couple days which they seem to prefer. But, all in all I think your findings are pretty cool.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Is it valid???/ yes and no. The no part might be when you set them out. For example, when the does are carrying fawns and have just had them they'll hit salt heavy and daily. By mid summer they'll just leave it alone except for an occasional walk by the old salt source. I'd say if you put them near each other at the same time you'd find within a couple days which they seem to prefer. But, all in all I think your findings are pretty cool.
Good points! First, I didn't think of that, but I only have two trail cams and can't afford more right now so I only put one out at a time making sure that when I moved a camera to the next one I kept the others stocked. It would have probably been cheaper to find an area where I could put them all out in the same area and have the two trail cams cover the whole area. I do know one spot where I could do that but there are already several spots that have not only the product out but also "contaminated earth" where the attractants are.

In my thread about food plots, I am trying to get input so I can put in a food plot in the spring with several different plants to see what the deer prefer (in this area anyway). Must be the analyst in me that makes me do this "stuff" and spend what little money I have on this type of thing vs something else stupid like food for myself.

Quick Reply: Deer Attractant Tests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.