Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Attractant Tests >

Deer Attractant Tests

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Attractant Tests

Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Attractant Tests

trophy rocka and black magic are the 2 that i also found to work the best!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM

You just saved me alot of time, money and energy! Thanks AF I think your criteria is great, though I'dbe interested in seeing the average time spent,also.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

I like what you're doing AF; kinda like a consumer reports on deer attractant. Here in the CWD zones in WI we can't use any of that stuff, but I still like the way you have it all set up. We have to use food plots for attraction and find as many oaks and other fruit bearing trees to hunt around. I'm still working on the right combination in the food plot thing, but after seeing this, I'll try to share my findings more.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try putting rock salt out... The elk over here love the stuff... and black magic is there favorite!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love black magic. ive had better results with that than any other one listed. [&:]
Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mottz

Great study. I'd like to hear a little more bout that dee cocain.
I purchased the Deer CoCAIN Black Magic at Sportsmans Warehouse for $7.99 a bag. All you do is find an area fairly secluded just off a trail they use, clear out an area about 4' in diameter, loosen up the dirt on topand sprinkle the powder on the ground. I had deer hitting it the evening I put it down and are still frequenting it. The deer find it by the smell I presume and then once they start licking it, they stick around for several minutes. It's pretty amazing stuff.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks so much for taking the time to make such an informative report! I like the rock also, I'll have to take back that buck jam I just bought thou!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks AF. I like the Deer Cocain Blackand another one I have had good success with is the Imperial Whitetail 30-06 / Plus Protein. They love the stuff,It's a little pricey but it is all powder so it is very easy to make a good lick by digging up a couple foot circle and then mixing the soil & mineral. After a good rain it will be active for at least 2 seasons before I refresh it. Also the powder is easy to mix in a trough feeder with corn or other deer feed and that gives them a great boost of protein along with all the minerals during the spring/summer.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

1. Has any of you done any type of study on different attractants in your area?
2. Do you feel the criteria I set up is fair for rating the attractant?
1. Not on "different" attractants....other than my minerals and a corn/peanut mix.

During the summer (antler growing and fawn rearing months).....they tear the crap out of my minerals. Other times of the year.....I don't think it gets frequented, that much. I would "think" your results on these products would be "seasonal". Also.....if I'm going ot put out minerals....I shy away from heavily slat-laden (only) products. if I'm gonna provide something.....they may as well get a benefit from it. I also put it in the ground.....which is their natural way of receiving said.

As far as supplemental feed/"bait" as an attractant.....you just can't beat a corn'peanut blend. They will devour it.

2. Your criteria is "fair" if you look at it as "seasonal".....and weigh your results with that in mind.

Good stuff.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to find the Imperial Whitetail 30-06 and give it a try. GMMAT, I intend to keep this going over a year period and see what happens. I don't know how well it will fair when the ground is covered with snow and ice, but as long as they keep hitting it, I will keep providing. As far as the peanuts, do you get shelled or not? I will try that (as long as the corn prices don't go up any further) over by their bedding area and see how it does.

Yesterday when I was putting out the Advantage 360 I was in a hurry and forgot to put a SD card in the trailcam so i went to put one in and downloaded pics of 2 does and 2 bucks hitting it this morning.

Quick Reply: Deer Attractant Tests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.