Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long Practice ?????? >

Long Practice ??????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Practice ??????

Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Long Practice ??????

I was practicing yesterday, and my practice session have eveolved into a 20-30 shot work out, and I got to thinking about people saying that they practice 2-3 hours.I would like to hear from those of you that practice this long your reasoningbehindit. Do you think that it helps you to practice that long or do you just love shooting that much.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Practice ??????

The only time that I practice for anywhere near that amount of time straight is on a 3d course. I don't think I have ever shoot for 2 to 3 hours straight. I may shoot for 45 min then cut the grass and shoot for 20 min more then trim the weeds, then shoot a few more, then wash the truck....you get the idea...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot like that in a while but shoot that long almost everyday and you will be a better shot much better than if you were only shooting 30 mins. It will also build endurance. Plus it's fun.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM

I did it once a couple of weekends ago and it does build endurance and make you a better shot for the next time that you shoot although it sure doesn't seem like it at the time because by the end of a 2 hour long session your groups are quite a bit wider left and right and you pretty much walk away tired and shaking your head in doubt. But I look at it like a work out program where you pretty much break yourself down in the beginning. The next time that I shot a few days later for 30 minutes I was suprised at just how tight my groups were from 24 yards. Before that I was only practicing from 18 yards. I want to work on my consisitency out to 45 yards. It will take some more time but I am getting there. Another thing is, just how long can you hold a full draw and keep the sight on target?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Some times I'm just having a good time and shoot for 2-3 hours at a time but most usually when I shoot that long it's because I'm tinkering with a new setup.

Once things are dialed in during season, Itry toshootevery night, but it may as little as 5 shots from a treestand at a 3d target
Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never shoot for more than 15 minutes. I usually only shoot about 20 shots actually. Ill move around the yard and shoot at my target at different angles, heights, distances, ect. As long as i can make a kill with each shot i take im happy.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

If my shooting session goes long, something has gone wrong and I'm not happy.

Although its easier to get caught up shooting my trad gear for a longer time than I would my compound. 2-3 hours is still a marathon.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM

My secessions last about 20 minutes 30 min max.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:47 AM

Actually, I don't really think that there is really a need to shoot for any longer than an hour. I would practice mostly 30 minutes at a time and occasionally an hour. Make sure you are getting your 3-D in once a month!

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every Friday,me and a couple other guys shoot our recurves and longbows for a couple hours.We just walk thru the course and shoot at whatever distance,thru obstacles,do a little stump shooting

Quick Reply: Long Practice ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.