Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethics and Hunting Shows: Opinions >

Ethics and Hunting Shows: Opinions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics and Hunting Shows: Opinions

Old 03-08-2003, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Ethics and Hunting Shows: Opinions

I think it is fine to show these type of shots as long as the shooter admits that the shot was bad and they handle the situation properly. This will teach alot of hunters the proper methods for trailing these deer. When they show a bad shot and the shooter says great shot and they get right down and walk over to the deer this is not teaching anything but bad hunting. They should spend more time showing hunters what to do after all types of shots and less time showing us how to plant huge food plots on acres and acres of property that most of us don' t have. Just my opinion...........
Old 03-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

mez, good post! I agree with your thoughts on this also.

If you bowhunt long enough, you will for one reason or another, eventually make a marginal hit.

The way these guys handled it was textbook perfect.

If there is ANY doubt on a hit, 99.999% of the time waiting is the answer.

And someone else made comment about some of the shows having guys congratulating each other after very poor hits.

I personally find this very troubling.

I don`t expect a hunter to cut his own throat after a bad hit, but IMO it is certainly not cause for celebration. Maybe giving thank`s after the recovery!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

WELL . . . I have made bad shots before and they are not pleasing to me.[:@] and at least one time though we tracked the deer for more than 10 hours without recovering it . . . it was quite unsettling.

That said, I' ll defend the shows a bit because I believe they have a good reason for doing what they do. I get a thrill watching every shot, the hit, the animal' s reaction and the recovery; I try to learn from each of them. There are too many anti' s around and most wouldn' t bother the watch the shot, the hit or anything else about the hunt. I am convinced that it serves no purpose to give them any clues or fodder for their rhetoric.

I truely believe they are doing the best they can to put the hunting sport in a favorable light. So I don' t accept creative editing, a lack of ethics, embarrasment, or the argument that these guys and their hunts are distasteful or sickening. They . . . like each and every one of us . . . are capable of making bad shots. I would be less than thrilled if they made a big deal out of a bad shot on TV.

I too watched the episode on ' Closing the Distance' and followed the arrow into the intestinal section of the deer. I think they presented it in good taste without overdoing it. As for guys pumping their fists at a good shot when it was obviously bad . . . I accept it for what it they' re doing to prevent harm to the hunting sports.

Old 03-08-2003, 09:39 PM

Know this is the wrong board, but the topic applies.

I' ve watched several episodes of Billy Gianquinto' s (sp) show on OLN. They almost NEVER actually kill a duck dead. 90% hit the water very much alive. They seem to be shooting at fairly long range most of the time.

And yes, it does bother me.

The deer situation described does not. Sounds like everything was done right, and bad stuff will always happen.

Now if it was a pattern of shooting at questionable distances, that would be another story!

BK
Old 03-08-2003, 09:44 PM

Sounds like they took a bad situation and used it as a chance to show new hunters what you SHOULD do when you have a bad shot.