Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards >

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Old 07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

I shot in my bow to dead on at 20 yards with field tips.

I got up aout 13 feet high and shot sets of 3 arrows at a target 6-7 feet away.

1) 1st shot, tried my 20 yard pin and aimed 3 inches low on the 3 inch center cirlce. I struck 2 inches low.

2) 2nd shot, I tried my 30 yard pin and aimed for dead center, I hit 3 inches high.

3) Shots 3,4,5,6...I used my 20 yard pin, aimed at the center of the three inch circle, and all 4 arrows struck in the middle 3 inch circle.

A couple of things about my bow. I use a drop away arrow rest. I do not use a peep sight. I use an anchor point in the corner of my mouth and let the string touch my nose for my second anchor point.

Not really sure why I am able to hit good using the method I do, because it seems everyone else uses their 40 yard pin on such tight shots?

Any thoughts on why this is happening to me? Maybe my arrow rest if not positioned correctly at full draw? Thanks for any insight.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

All bows are different- different sight set ups, poundage, could play a role as possibly.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

I think it's because you aren't using a peep. My guess is your sight line isn't parallel with the arrow flight at release. If it's working for you, go with it.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for sharing virginia!

All bows are different- different sight set ups, poundage, could play a role as possibly.
Not to mention form inconsistancies, which gets difficult IMO with shots like these.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 PM

VA, I've had the same findings with my set-ups as well. Shooting out of a treestand, as long as you have consistant anchor points and bend at the waist, I don't find that you need to compensate for the angle.

Also, I shoot with a peep.

Now, on a steep bank shooting downhill at a target 40+ yards away (say on a Mulie hunt perhaps) then things might be different... I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

1) 1st shot, tried my 20 yard pin and aimed 3 inches low on the 3 inch center cirlce. I struck 2 inches low.

(So....using your results in No. 3 as the example......you were 1" off on a 2 yd shot.)

2) 2nd shot, I tried my 30 yard pin and aimed for dead center, I hit 3 inches high.

(What's the pin gap? Don't you find it funny you had such disparity from your No. 1 and your No. 2?)

3) Shots 3,4,5,6...I used my 20 yard pin, aimed at the center of the three inch circle, and all 4 arrows struck in the middle 3 inch circle.

ONLY thing I can think of is.....you're compensating with your anchor.....and the lack of a peep allows you to do this. I have no idea, really......but the geometry doesn't lie. I have no idea how/why you're getting these results.....but to be honest.....they're not so consistent, anyway. Not an insult....just an observation, based on your accounts.

A couple of things about my bow. I use a drop away arrow rest. I do not use a peep sight. I use an anchor point in the corner of my mouth and let the string touch my nose for my second anchor point.

Not really sure why I am able to hit good using the method I do, because it seems everyone else uses their 40 yard pin on such tight shots?

(Hitting "Good" is relative. When I mention hitting a spot....I'm talking about a spot the diameter of your arrow. That's what I'm aiming at. "Inside a 3" circle" is a fairly generous "spot".)

Did you try this from the ground to a 2yd target?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hitting inside a 3 inch circle is more than enough to kill a deer. I can hit inside that same circle at 20 yards from the ground and from a treestand. I guess I am not a 3-D shooter like some people on here becauseI do not think in terms of hitting something .40 inches wide, I think of maybe 2-3 inches. Dang GMMAT, your a tough sell. I guess I should be splitting arrows in half every other shot.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Hitting inside a 3 inch circle is more than enough to kill a deer. I can hit inside that same circle at 20 yards from the ground and from a treestand. I guess I am not a 3-D shooter like some people on here becauseI do not think in terms of hitting something .40 inches wide, I think of maybe 2-3 inches. Dang GMMAT, your a tough sell. I guess I should be splitting arrows in half every other shot.
He may be that, but I really think that he was trying to help you in this instance. If you are willing to get out up in the air and conduct this experiement, I would think that you would want to be as precise as possible and that is most likely the same assumption that GMMAT made. if you don't care about hitting more thana 2-3 inch mark, then why were you bothering with the experiment in the first place?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

"if you don't care about hitting more thana 2-3 inch mark, then why were you bothering with the experiment in the first place?"

First off, I haven't been shooting at all in the last two weeks because I have been working like crazy. That being said BenI would like to improve my shooting, always have always will. It wasn't an experiment to determine whether I was a good shot, it was an experiment to determine whether something we talked about in another thread was actually true or I was off my rocker. Again, this wasn't about shooting bullseyes, it was about geometry and sight pins on extreme shooting angles.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

He may be that, but I really think that he was trying to help you in this instance. If you are willing to get out up in the air and conduct this experiement, I would think that you would want to be as precise as possible and that is most likely the same assumption that GMMAT made. if you don't care about hitting more thana 2-3 inch mark, then why were you bothering with the experiment in the first place?
This is spot on. I consider you a friend, Brett....and I was trying to explain this whole thing to you. I'm sorry I didn't do a better job.

It wasn't an experiment to determine whether I was a good shot
No it wasn't. But if your magin for error is outside the discrepancy in choosing the right v. wrong pin......this exercise won't do you much good. The beauty of that is......it also shouldn't matter to you in the field.

Quick Reply: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.