Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards >

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You think your sight bar is out further than mine?[8D]

No, I was just using that as a point of reference that makes a slight difference between various set-ups.

Ya think?

I don't have any doubt that you WERE correct on your assumption you made based on that result. And that variation WOULD potentially make the difference between a wounded and dead deer in some situations.
Let me buy you one.........

Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

OH I never intended for this to become an argument over whether or not each individual's "methods" were sound enough to kill deer. I'm in pretty hefty company on this board.

I ONLY intended to show something "interesting"that I found out the hard way on.....in a shoot (and I eluded to that WAY, WAY back there).

I don't doubt anyone's abilities to kill, when they want to....and this thread had nothing to do with those.

It was just "interesting", to me. Nothing more.

It's like sighting in your bow and "chasing your arrow". It's "interesting".
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

This is precisely why many times I've said that the "horizontal" distance thing is more or less worthless.
Serious?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

This is precisely why many times I've said that the "horizontal" distance thing is more or less worthless.
Serious?
Yep, because on from a 20ft high treestand a 20yd Horizontal distance is only a mere 21.1 yds., by line of sight (ACTUAL DISTANCE - editted for Jeff ), and if you can manage the short shots with experience, then the longer ones really aren't much of an issue. The terrain I hunt doesn't require me to really concern myself with horizontal distance. I think if you shooting from the top of a cliff 50ft above something, then it may be more of an issue, but I've found that it doesn't really apply much to my practice as an archer. And I experience an odd phenomena when shooting up hill that my arrows for some reason slow down faster when trying to gain altitude, therefore a 33yd uphill shot is going to get shot for about 35-36, depending on the angle.

Call me crazy, but I've never seen horizontal distance in the formula for gravitational pull, only 32ft or 9.8m per second squared. Been through this argument MANY times, and whether it's a form issue or whatever, I always end up with my arrow hitting low uphill vs. downhill or flat. Now this is gentle, less than 45 degree slopes. I've never been anywhere where I could try anything "higher/more steep" than a 45 degree, or probably 35-40degrees for that matter. And I will admit, I do have form flaws, but they are more related to drawing my bow, I think.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

OH....I wont speak for you.....but I "think" your sentence would have made more sense .....if you'd said "diagonal" distance.

I could be wrong, though....and if I am....sue me
Old 07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

OH....I wont speak for you.....but I "think" your sentence would have made more sense .....if you'd said "diagonal" distance.

I could be wrong, though....and if I am....sue me
My lawyers will be in contact!!!!