Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot angle help

Old 09-22-2003, 04:11 PM

Default shot angle help

I have been shooting a lot with my bow and today for the first time I climbed up onto a roof platform about 15 ft high just to get a little angle experience shooting down. Well to my dismay all my shots were hitting high compared to my ground shots at the same distance that are right on the bull. What could I be doing wrong?
Old 09-22-2003, 04:30 PM

Default RE: shot angle help

You are going to shoot high when you are higher up. on teh ground you are shooting striaght, from 15 up you have a different angle. All hunters who hunt from the stand encounter the same problem. just aim a little lower on the monster buck when he crosses your stand.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:30 PM

When shooting from an elevated position you have to bend at the waist and keep your bow arm like normal. If you drop your bow arm instead of bending at the wasit you will change your anchor point, and therefore be off.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have another reason that makes sense. If you look at a deer lets say it is 18 inches from the top of the deer to the bottom. When you are above the deer you now can see the top of the deer, if you look at this distance as a whole it could be longer lets say 24 inches. So if you aim from ground level at this deer right in the middle you will hit 9 inches up. If you aim from the tree when it looks like 24 inches in the middle that will be 12 inches up, however the deer is really only 18 inches so you would have to shoot 3 inches low to compensate for this. I saw this on the outdoor channel all about shot placement. Very helpful.

Old 09-22-2003, 05:09 PM

I agree with NewYorkHunter. You have to bend at the waist. I have taken readings with my range finder in up in my tree and from the ground. There is only about a yard difference at 25 yds at 20 ft up. I do not have a problem hitting high from a tree stand.

James D.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 PM

from an elevated position dont you want to hit a little high? Its not where the arrow hits the outside of the deer, its where it hits in the middle of the deer. From an elevated position your shot placement should be a little high, putting your arrow right through the center of the kill zone....right?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:55 PM

New York Hunter is telling you the right stuff. Bend at the waist Another thing to keep in mind is to aim for the exit hole
Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are going to shoot high when you are higher up. on teh ground you are shooting striaght, from 15 up you have a different angle. All hunters who hunt from the stand encounter the same problem. just aim a little lower on the monster buck when he crosses your stand.
Absolutely WRONG ! Your making the classic mistake of dropping your arm instead of bending at the waist. If you bend at the waist and keep your form you will hit exactly where you intend to hit not high, not low, you pick a hair and you hit it.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob is absolutely right bend at the waist pick a hair and drill it.

Rob maybe we should start a data base for the correct shooting form for both on the ground and in a tree

Or maybe a weekly pop quiz
Old 09-23-2003, 07:54 AM

from an elevated position dont you want to hit a little high?
This may be true - but you still want the arrow to go where the pin is.

Quick Reply: shot angle help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.