Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control? >

Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

I thinkthata big part of my success,is due to hunting alone for the most part.

I do havea select fewthat I hunt withand IMO, I havechosenthem wisely.

The only thing I ask of someone hunting my woods, is that they don't get down and walk around before coming out of the woods. Curiosity killed the cat, its the saving grace of many bucks and demise of many hunters.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
My question was more along the lines of people you CAN'T "control" (or 'control' their invitation)......or those who have every standing you do on the lands you hunt.
In the situation as portrayed aboveI don't even worry one bit about it because I can't DO anything about it. In the situations where I might have some say I still won't do or say anything because who am I to tell someone else how to hunt??? If they ask me for my opinion or hunting strategies then I'll throw my .02 in but other than that I just enjoy the company.

If it was my land and they were invited then obviously I think enough of that person to just let them hunt the way they want to.As long as they don't break any rules or game laws it all good with me. It's not like they are going to be tromping through the woods playing a tuba or anything like that, hey they want to kill deer too.

So.....so what if they decide to take a different route to their stand (than I would) or hunt the wind a different way or fidget and move around in their seat oreven touch every tree on the way to their hunting spot. Will it effect my hunting success?? probably not becausemy stands are far enough away from each other to where it wouldn't make a difference. In most cases itcould only helpas the other hunter would probably move the deer out of his location and possibly into mine.In my situation, It wouldn't bother me in the least.

As far as who would ultimately do better/success rates, that's hard to tell because you can only gain that information by both of you hunting the same propertyat the same time for an extended period, like an entire season and that doesn't happen with me and the people I hunt with.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a cousin I bowhunt with who is a great guy and would do anything for you.

But I had a hard time biting my tongue last season hunting with him. We'd ride together in the truck to our spot and he'd light up a cigarrette in his hunting clothes. He went like three days between showers and sounded like a herd of elephants walking through the woods. Sometimes he'd start up his 30 year old truck and stand in the exhaust cloud in his hunting clothes while smoking a Marlboro. It made me cringe! The guy didn't see any deer all week, but I saw lots of deer and killed two - even though we were hunting within 1/4 mile of each other all week long.

I'd try to offer advice on scent control and being quiet but I didn't want to sound like too much of a jerk. I think by the end of the week when he hadn't seen any deer and I'd seen a bunch he figured out why.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt with my brothers and a couple friends everyone does things diffrently. I would have to say that me and my youngest brother probably hunt with the same kind of control scent wise and camo. We also have basically the same thoughts about where and when to hunt. However he doesn't believe in shooting does as much as me but thats another story.We would also agree that some of the other guys that hunt with us are doing some things wrong atleast in our eyes but if it works for them than GREAT!!!!!! We just wouldnt do them. Like riding youre 4 wheeler to within feet of youre stand or eating crackers while in the stand or talking to youre girlfriend / wife on the cell phone at daylight on THE FIRST DAY OF HUNTING SEASON!!!
But all in all we get along very well and always willing to help each other out.

P.S. The guy talking on the phone also kiled his first deer that morning a 3pt so shows what i know LOL
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

My brother-in-law who recently started bow hunting, hunts in the same place I do, but I don't like him any where near my stands. We go and hang our stands at the same time and I usually hang 2and still have my climber. He hangs one ladder stand (not that hanging one stand is not OK) in a terrible location and then asks me all season long if he can sit in one of my stands when he goes.Not thatmy hunting methods are thebest, but I am pretty particular about entranceand exit, and scent. He tramps through anywhere he can at anytime, and then sitsin his stand and spits chew all overthe ground. So yeah, I think it affects my success. Lucky for me, he moved and just won't be around to hunt much now.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me it's fairly simple. I hunt public land, and have 0 control over who hunts where, and when. This being said, I hunt a portion of this land thatmost other hunters don't bother walking back to because there are easier more "convenient" spots to hunt closer to the parking area. Also, I bring NOBODY back to the spot that I hunt. Like I said, fairly simple.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this problem at the cabin land. The guys pretty much hunt like stereotypical gun hunters in bow season. Lucky for me I have a few places where it is me only and I can hunt the way I want to.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

I have been burnt in the past so it is something I just choose not to do. People will hunt the way they know how no matter what they might tell you. I hunt alone, wish I didnt sometimes but that is just the way it has to be if you want total control.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

I like to hunt alone also but sometimes my friend who is a avid bowhunter goes along. He can never make up his mind on what he wants to do and it ends up being too late to even go hunting. Now when my twin brother and I go hunting we mean business. We are ready to roll, he is in his dream season suit, so am I, and We both hunt in a very similar way.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 PM

In my hunting camp we have all know each other since we were kids so giving suggestions is ok. However we talk tactics so much it is not like we take hard feelings about recieving them. I respect them enough that I usually wait for them to ask my opinion though. You know how people just feel better if theyprovok a repsonse from you rather than you just blurting it out.No one likesthat feeling ofbeing talked down tointentionally or not especially iftheir buddy's arethere.