Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are your hunting buddies serious? >

Are your hunting buddies serious?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are your hunting buddies serious?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Are your hunting buddies serious?

I would like to know if any of your buddies take scouting / hunting as serious as you do, a 365 day a year obsession......

All my buddies big talk about scouting, shed hunting and "this fall".... But every year that is all it everwas....... just "big talk".

Maybe one day I will meet up with someone who is willing to work as hard at it as I do.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Are your hunting buddies serious?

I've got three friends that are, otherwise I don't talk much hunting with the others. That's what you guys are for![:-]
Old 03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

One hunting buddy i have talks a big game, but he never does anything other than go and hunt in my stands a couple of times a year. Another buddy of mine hunts hard, but has no patience and is done once the first deer walks by him. The third hunting buddy i have hunts hard, puts in his time and kills nice deer every year. i would say that im on his level, we scout and shed hunt (never find anything) a fair amount, but no where near like when we are hunting. I have another friend though who is unreal. Somehow he always has the entire fall off and hunts every single day, seriously. He lives for the woods. Deer, turkey, small game, you know it, the guy is a master. One day in the woods with him and you will learn more than you would spending a whole year in the woods on your own.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I would like to know if any of your buddies take scouting / hunting as serious as you do, a 365 day a year obsession......

All my buddies big talk about scouting, shed hunting and "this fall".... But every year that is all it everwas....... just "big talk".

Maybe one day I will meet up with someone who is willing to work as hard at it as I do.
Buckeye,
I can relate. I put far more hours into it than any of my buddies, and I didn't kill anything this year, because I let the little ones walk. But I guess that's part of QDM practice. I probably passed on 50-60 does, and at least a dozen smaller bucks, one in the 120's range. But I'm tired of guys killing small bucks, then complaining because there aren't many BIG bucks.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Good topic. I definitely take hunting and such much more seriously than the buddies I sometimes hunt with. I really can only afford to have one serious passion (outside my wife and daughter in case there are spies ) so hunting is it. My buddies have other pusuits like sledding, fishing and drinking and do not take hunting to even a quarter as serious as I do. I really do appreciate everyone here that shares my passion year round.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

well all of my huntin buddies r guys.... but most of em r 'all talk'... but my brother and i take hunting seriously.... but we still have fun...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't met anyone as serious aboutarchery deerhunting as I am, other than on this forum. I'm not trying to flatter myself but it's true. And I've had a few folks tell me I'm obessed with it. I guess spending $5000 to hunt big whitetailsin Alberta with a bow, where the success rate is around 35%, is up there with being obsessed, or insane. Maybe both, but I loveit!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My main hunting buddy (APAJaws) I feel takes it VERY serious. We both put in thousands and thousands of dollars into equipment, foodplots, logging projects, building/maintaining a camp, etc and hundreds and hundreds of hours into managing and improving our properties all year round. He has 160 acres in Otsego County, NY and I have 110 acres in Bradford County and we spend equal amounts of time hunting, scouting, and working both and are almost always together. As a matter of fact, I think I have only been on maybe one or two weekend trips in the last 2 years without him.The only thing that keeps us from putting in more time is that it is a 1.5 hour drive to his property and a 3.5 hour drive to mine........this really keeps us from having more time and makes it tough. To give you an idea, I work only 6 miles from my house but managed to put 30,000 miles on my car last year alone in trips to his and my hunting camps for scouting, camp projects,and hunting.

I know last year we both had at least 400+ hours of work and scouting done on our properties with moving of stands, glassing fields, planting food plots, logging, etc. We both also hadnearly 200 hours of hunting time logged in the 2006 season.

I have a lot of hunting buddies all over the northeast because I have lived in so many states but I have never met anyone that is as serious about it or as dedicated as he is. It is rare to find people with this kind of passion I think.......everyone else I have ever hunted with really got burned outat the paceI go with this stuff year round. I can't wait till both of us are retired.......this work crap is really cutting into my hunting time.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Rick James is that a graduation picture of you?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I love hunting more than most of my friends, here. I spend more time pursuing the sport/endeavor/??? than most. I also love spending time with my family. Each is rewarding, but I have my priorities in order.

Quick Reply: Are your hunting buddies serious?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.