Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need help finding land in maryland... >

need help finding land in maryland...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help finding land in maryland...

Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help finding land...

I grew up near Bainbridge. In addition to the CWMA, the surrounding area is excellent deer habitat. You will need to knock on a few doors in the Rising Sun area, but you should be able to obtain permission with a little leg work.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Let me know where you live in Maryland. I used to live in Frederick and may know of a couple places you could try.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can find a whole bunch of public land info and maps here -
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/publiclands.asp
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/sfppublichunting.asp
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/all.html

Here is some of the info concerning the countys you mentioned -
Frederick
Frederick City Watershed CWMA
- 7,300 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game, and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). Free permit required to hunt furbearers at night. 301-842-2702
Heater’s Island WMA
- 194 acres- Furbearers, forest game, waterfowl and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Boat access only. 301-842-2702
Monocacy NRMA
- 1,800 acres- Forest game, upland game, waterfowl, dove and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun), no trapping. 301-924-2127
Thurmont Watershed CWMA
- 300 acres- Furbearers, forest game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702

Carroll
For information on the following areas call: 410-356-9272 between 7:30am - 11:30am
Avondale WMA
- 180 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun). Free permit required.
Farver CWMA
- 23 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required.
Hahn CWMA
- 25 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required.
Hanover Watershed
- 337 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle. Free permit required.
Maring CWMA
- 237 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.
Morgan Run NEA
- 1,300 acres- Deer (bow and muzzleloader). DNR Managed Hunt Permit required. 410-461-5005
Raincliffe CWMA
- 35 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required. Saturday only.
Sawmill CWMA
- 500 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.
Slacks CWMA
- 135 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required.
Speigel CWMA
- 250 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.
Woodbrook CWMA
- 522 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.

Washington
Indian Springs WMA
- 6,750 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game, dove, waterfowl and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). Disabled accessible. 301-842-2702
Prather’s Neck WMA
- 215 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game, dove, waterfowl and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702
Sideling Hill WMA
- 3,100 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702
Woodmont
- 2,400 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). Disabled accessible. 301-842-2155
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get down to Southern Md let me know. I can put you in some spots down here.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Ron i currently live in frederick right off of 40 (the golden mile) is what they call it around here. Bruce where in southern MD do u live dont know if i ever been that way? But im sure i can make time to get down that way, I mean we are talking about huntin season here, ill do just about anything to get to go huntin while im here.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

You can find a whole bunch of public land info and maps here -
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/publiclands.asp
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/sfppublichunting.asp
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/all.html

Here is some of the info concerning the countys you mentioned -
Frederick
Frederick City Watershed CWMA
- 7,300 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game, and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). Free permit required to hunt furbearers at night. 301-842-2702
Heater’s Island WMA
- 194 acres- Furbearers, forest game, waterfowl and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Boat access only. 301-842-2702
Monocacy NRMA
- 1,800 acres- Forest game, upland game, waterfowl, dove and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun), no trapping. 301-924-2127
Thurmont Watershed CWMA
- 300 acres- Furbearers, forest game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702

Carroll
For information on the following areas call: 410-356-9272 between 7:30am - 11:30am
Avondale WMA
- 180 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun). Free permit required.
Farver CWMA
- 23 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required.
Hahn CWMA
- 25 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required.
Hanover Watershed
- 337 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle. Free permit required.
Maring CWMA
- 237 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.
Morgan Run NEA
- 1,300 acres- Deer (bow and muzzleloader). DNR Managed Hunt Permit required. 410-461-5005
Raincliffe CWMA
- 35 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required. Saturday only.
Sawmill CWMA
- 500 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.
Slacks CWMA
- 135 acres- Deer (bow only). Free permit required.
Speigel CWMA
- 250 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.
Woodbrook CWMA
- 522 acres- Forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun). Free permit required.

Washington
Indian Springs WMA
- 6,750 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game, dove, waterfowl and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). Disabled accessible. 301-842-2702
Prather’s Neck WMA
- 215 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game, dove, waterfowl and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702
Sideling Hill WMA- 3,100 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702
Woodmont
- 2,400 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). Disabled accessible. 301-842-2155
i dont know much about the other places but i have talked to a couple of people a while back who used to hunt sideling hill area a couple of years ago and it was usually a good spot i assume you are using bow so you should get it before the major pressure starts. i live just to the north in franklin county pa and there are some good farms down in washington county. heck take a drive on 70 in october if you see alot of trucks parked there it might be public lol. j/k but i hope this helps and best of luck to you. if you have to im sure the switch to public land will be tought i used to be there and i hope you get some private land best wishes.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: forddeerslayer

[
Sideling Hill WMA- 3,100 acres- Furbearers, forest game, upland game and deer (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle). 301-842-2702
Woodmont

i dont know much about the other places but i have talked to a couple of people a while back who used to hunt sideling hill area a couple of years ago and it was usually a good spot i assume you are using bow so you should get it before the major pressure starts. i live just to the north in franklin county pa and there are some good farms down in washington county. heck take a drive on 70 in october if you see alot of trucks parked there it might be public lol. j/k but i hope this helps and best of luck to you. if you have to im sure the switch to public land will be tought i used to be there and i hope you get some private land best wishes.

[/quote]

Honestly, I wouldn't bother making the trip to Sideling Hill or any other public land in Washington County. Public land in Washington Co. used to be pretty great. A lot of deer with fairly little pressure. Allegany and Garrett have always gotten the out-of-towners. UNTIL they opened up the bag limit and included Wash. Co. in with the rest of the state. 10 does and 2 bucks is the annual limit, all of which can be taken in the same day. According to several MD DNR Officers I'm friends with, the reason Wash. Co. was included in the liberal bag limit was to pull hunters from Allegany and Garrett Counties, and spread them out a little more. Basically free up some room in those two counties. Problem is, Wash. Co. is just far enough west that there are too many hunters for that bag limit, and the DNR knew that going in. Several years of this slaughter have left MOST Wash. Co. public land almost deer free. Don't get me wrong, if you put in the work and hike an hour or two hike off the parking lots, you can still find very small pockets of deer. IMO you'd be better off in Frederick and Carroll, ESPECIALLY if you're looking for a good buck.