Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

game cart

Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default game cart

i want to buy a game cart.
I went to a spot to scout today to get to the stand sight i must walk 250 yards across a rough field. The field is plowed but not completely disced. How does the game carts is rough ground.
I thought about buying a 2 wheel wheelbarrel painting it camo wheeling my gun/bow a decoy and whet ever else i got to my spots one of which is 1/2 mile back. then leaving it a 10 or 20 yards from my stand.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: game cart

Why not modify a hand truck with inflatable tires and paint it?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya i also thought about this.
At lowes they have 4 wheel and i mean big wheel carts more like a large wagon. I think it would work better then the game carts.
The well made hand carts good cost you 100 bucks i think with the wagon cart you would be pulling less weight and it would hold more
ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

ya i also thought about this.
At lowes they have 4 wheel and i mean big wheel carts more like a large wagon. I think it would work better then the game carts.
The well made hand carts good cost you 100 bucks i think with the wagon cart you would be pulling less weight and it would hold more
ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

I would usesolid rubber tires or at least a six ply tire.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

In my experiences, the game carts work pretty good. In rough ground it can sometimes be a tough job getting a big deer out. Game carts don't do well if you have a lot of obstacles like tree logs and thick brush but overall it makes the job easier. Sometimes the hardest part is getting the deer strapped to the cart.

I also thought about using a wheel barrel but they are made to be pushed not pulled. And if you have very rough ground there is no way you will be able to push out a 200 pound deer, and even if you could it would wear you out. I would either go with a cheaper game cart or build one. I got mine through cabelas for about 80 bucks. Nothing to fancy but it works. My next job is to try and put a lawnmower self propel system on one. That would make the job a whole lot easier. Or the easiest thing is get a 4 wheeler and a trailer.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

i was going to get a quad but i bought a boat instead
The money does not matter the one i looked at was 149 from cabelas.
I just want something that will work good
ORIGINAL: sk74ford

In my experiences, the game carts work pretty good. In rough ground it can sometimes be a tough job getting a big deer out. Game carts don't do well if you have a lot of obstacles like tree logs and thick brush but overall it makes the job easier. Sometimes the hardest part is getting the deer strapped to the cart.

I also thought about using a wheel barrel but they are made to be pushed not pulled. And if you have very rough ground there is no way you will be able to push out a 200 pound deer, and even if you could it would wear you out. I would either go with a cheaper game cart or build one. I got mine through cabelas for about 80 bucks. Nothing to fancy but it works. My next job is to try and put a lawnmower self propel system on one. That would make the job a whole lot easier. Or the easiest thing is get a 4 wheeler and a trailer.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I was getting bored with the current farm I've hunted for 20 years, so last summer I began to explore other options in the area. I found a fairly small piece of public hunting land about 15 miles from the house, so i started scouting it a little bit. Found a decent amount of sign while scouting and even kicked up a few deer!

So I hunted there from time to time and saw deer every time out. Sometimes just one or two deer an outing, but better than I was seeing on the farm I usually hunt. It's the type of area where the parking lot has 4 foot tall wooden posts installed in the ground all the way around the parking area to prevent people driving back. The walk to the better huntingspots has to be between 1/4 and 1/2 mile probably.

Anyway, I was there on an evening hunt and actually had a doe and a yearling coming into the edge of the woodlot where I was positioned in my climber. I kept asking myself, "man do I want to drag a doe all the way back to the parking lot from here?" A lot of it was up a slight incline too. I must have pondered the thought about 4 or 5 times before she worked her way into about 20 yards. Finally I decided I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for the meat, so I shot. And missed[:-]. She jumpedand ran about10 yards and then began to come in even closer to the stand. The second shot hit the vitals and she ran about 25 yards downhill and piled up.

Now came the fun part. It was probably 85 degrees and humid that night. I cleaned her out real quick and drug her the 25 yards up the incline to my tree and low and behold, I was huffing and puffing! Slightly embarrased I called a couple friends who ended up not being available to help me out that night. Not sure of what to do, I began the trek to the parking lot to try and devise a game plan. Once there I loaded all the stuff in the truck and decided to check the lock on the gate just to make sure it was locked......it was! For some reason, I thought I might just check one or two of those wooden posts to see if they were loose enough to pull up. Fortunately one was...I couldn't believe it...someone was looking down on me. With just my parking lights on, I slowly and quietly navigated my way to where the doe was and loaded her up as quietly as possible into the bed of my truck. Once loaded, I quietly navigated my way back to the parking lot and quickly put the post back in the ground.

Afterwards, I felt a little bit guilty, because I knew I shouldn't be driving back there. Call it bad planning on my part or whatever, but it saved me a ton of work. Needless to say, the next week I ordered the $149 game cart from Cabela's because I never wanted to be in that predicament again. I have not had to use it yet, but I know it will come in very handy and it had the big wheels with durable tires on it. Should save my poor old back a lot of abuse when hunting out there in the future.

Hope I didn't bore you all...just wanted to share a story that led to me buying a game cart.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice post for a minute i was worried you was going to leave her.

I am a big guy most of my spots are not realy up hil one is real bad up hill but comeing back it is all down hill.
But i have been going deep in the woods. i have two spots i might hunt that are rather close.
Any thing besides those spots must be 150 to 200 in atleast.
I will get the game cart not sure which one.

as for driving i understand why you were upset but hey got to get the deer out.
ORIGINAL: mofireman

I was getting bored with the current farm I've hunted for 20 years, so last summer I began to explore other options in the area. I found a fairly small piece of public hunting land about 15 miles from the house, so i started scouting it a little bit. Found a decent amount of sign while scouting and even kicked up a few deer!

So I hunted there from time to time and saw deer every time out. Sometimes just one or two deer an outing, but better than I was seeing on the farm I usually hunt. It's the type of area where the parking lot has 4 foot tall wooden posts installed in the ground all the way around the parking area to prevent people driving back. The walk to the better huntingspots has to be between 1/4 and 1/2 mile probably.

Anyway, I was there on an evening hunt and actually had a doe and a yearling coming into the edge of the woodlot where I was positioned in my climber. I kept asking myself, "man do I want to drag a doe all the way back to the parking lot from here?" A lot of it was up a slight incline too. I must have pondered the thought about 4 or 5 times before she worked her way into about 20 yards. Finally I decided I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for the meat, so I shot. And missed[:-]. She jumpedand ran about10 yards and then began to come in even closer to the stand. The second shot hit the vitals and she ran about 25 yards downhill and piled up.

Now came the fun part. It was probably 85 degrees and humid that night. I cleaned her out real quick and drug her the 25 yards up the incline to my tree and low and behold, I was huffing and puffing! Slightly embarrased I called a couple friends who ended up not being available to help me out that night. Not sure of what to do, I began the trek to the parking lot to try and devise a game plan. Once there I loaded all the stuff in the truck and decided to check the lock on the gate just to make sure it was locked......it was! For some reason, I thought I might just check one or two of those wooden posts to see if they were loose enough to pull up. Fortunately one was...I couldn't believe it...someone was looking down on me. With just my parking lights on, I slowly and quietly navigated my way to where the doe was and loaded her up as quietly as possible into the bed of my truck. Once loaded, I quietly navigated my way back to the parking lot and quickly put the post back in the ground.

Afterwards, I felt a little bit guilty, because I knew I shouldn't be driving back there. Call it bad planning on my part or whatever, but it saved me a ton of work. Needless to say, the next week I ordered the $149 game cart from Cabela's because I never wanted to be in that predicament again. I have not had to use it yet, but I know it will come in very handy and it had the big wheels with durable tires on it. Should save my poor old back a lot of abuse when hunting out there in the future.

Hope I didn't bore you all...just wanted to share a story that led to me buying a game cart.