Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals heads? >

Mechanicals heads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals heads?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanicals heads?

A Gut Shot is still a Gut Shot!![8D]

If you wanna really do some damage getcha some of them Duke Boy arrows! Them Deer won't go any where

I'll stick with Blowin a hole through them with a fixed blade.

Dan
Old 07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

If you wanna really do some damage getcha some of them Duke Boy arrows! Them Deer won't go any where

Dan
Gotta disagree with that one Dan'o. If that were the case, they'd market 1/2" cutting diameter broadheads to market arrow flight. We all know broadheads kill by hemoraging, the bigger the hole, the more the hemorage. I'll take a 2" plus cutting swath gut shot over a 1" one.

Keep in mind, I carry both but the first one out of the quiver is the Snyper. The devistating holes it's produced for me is proof enough. I'm picking up some Slick Tricks too, love tinkering.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ihave to be honest, the only reason I started shooting Grim Reaper mechanicals is because the bow shop that I went to told me they worked well and flew like fieldpoints. I tookthe guysadvice, and it turns out he was right. I have not had a moments trouble with them, I don't have a o-ring, and I don't have to look at the blades when I take them out of the quiver.
I don't think that I have put myself through any issues with them, if I did feel that way I would probably switch to something else.
Having said all of that, don't a lot of "professional" hunters use mecahanicals? Yes they may be paid to use them, but they still have to kill deer to remain relevant in their profession so the mechanicals must do their job right?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Dan
Gotta disagree with that one Dan'o. If that were the case, they'd market 1/2" cutting diameter broadheads to market arrow flight. We all know broadheads kill by hemoraging, the bigger the hole, the more the hemorage. I'll take a 2" plus cutting swath gut shot over a 1" one.

Keep in mind, I carry both but the first one out of the quiver is the Snyper. The devistating holes it's produced for me is proof enough. I'm picking up some Slick Tricks too, love tinkering.
We'll agree to disagree!

Dan
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Ihave to be honest, the only reason I started shooting Grim Reaper mechanicals is because the bow shop that I went to told me they worked well and flew like fieldpoints. I tookthe guysadvice, and it turns out he was right. I have not had a moments trouble with them, I don't have a o-ring, and I don't have to look at the blades when I take them out of the quiver.
I don't think that I have put myself through any issues with them, if I did feel that way I would probably switch to something else.
Having said all of that, don't a lot of "professional" hunters use mecahanicals? Yes they may be paid to use them, but they still have to kill deer to remain relevant in their profession so the mechanicals must do their job right?
Very well said!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carry both but the first one out of the quiver is the Snyper.
OK Rob, I'll bite!!

You are using the Synper, right? 2 blade? Cutting width?

Dan
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting the Rage this year not because I can't get good broadhead flight with fixed head but because of the massive holes they put out. Yes there are disadvantages to the Rage but IMO the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. I want to get the biggest baddest head I can ethically shoot out of my setup and for me that was the Rage.

“yes they do open quite easy if the blades get hit but not "by themselves" just put the rubber band on right and you’ll have no problems with them”Ok so they open easily? What's the problem with that? Less loss of KE? I don't see any reason why this would be a bad thing?Just be more careful of how you handle them! Or here’s one on shooting through blind mesh, “Unless you've got some dental floss tied around them in the center, yes. They will most definitely open going through the mesh. I'm honestly not sure I would trust them even w/ the floss”.OK Again. What the big deal? don't shoot through the mesh or lift it up! Here are some other comments about it, “I'm getting some 2 blades, ever since the 3 blade recall".Your really making me laugh here! Come on! so now something gets recalled, everything associated with hat is garbage? So if the Grizz trick (random pick) broadheads were to get recalled, would all slick trick heads be bad? No! only the one that didn't work! they fix the problem and everything is well! This one’s my favorite, “yeah, I use 2 blade one less blade to worry about so I couldn’t tell you about the 3 blade...the only thing I don't like about them are the have a tenacity to open by themselves, just by hitting a little tree or anything...but all I do is put rubber band for teeth braces on them and I can whack them against anything and problem solved"He identified a problem, he found a solution on how to fix it, shared it with the others for them to know how to fix this if ever they run into the same problem. and then, “Now I take them out of the quiver, make sure they are snapped in tight and then kill deer with them”
Ok so now they are bad because it a good idea to check them to make sure the blades are seated properly? Then Maybe we should just start hunting with spears instead of bows, Less things to worry about.
You are pretty much repeating the same problem. The blades open easily.

Ok so here we see one disadvantage. The blades open easily if they hit a branch or something. Just be more careful of where you shoot. What other disadvantage do they have?
I really can't think of any. Do they induce to large a massive hole? Oh and you can't shoot through mesh.

Here are some advantages:
Minimal loss of KE
Massive entry and exit wounds.
Unbelievable blood trails.
Extra damage on marginal shots. (not that you want to get a marginal shot. But I can have confidence that if i do get a marginal shot I will induce the most damage possible)
Less wind drift when shooting in higher winds.

If you don't want to shoot them that your decision. But I just can't stand people who constantly bash the Rage on things that in "my" mind isn't that big of an issue.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK Rob, I'll bite!!

Dan
1 1/2 but the entrance holes while it's fully extended before folding are 2.5, even 3". More than I've ever seen with Muzzy or Thunderheads.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK Rob, I'll bite!!

Dan
1 1/2 but the entrance holes while it's fully extended before folding are 2.5, even 3". More than I've ever seen with Muzzy or Thunderheads.

what do you mean by "before folding"?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The blades deploy rear-ward making them fold OUT wider than the given cutting diameter before protruding into the cavity and folding Back or settling into the 1.5 inch cut sustainded by energy.

Ill add by saying, look at a pic of a rage fully deployed, notice the blades are angle rear-ward, but when it first comes into contact with target, the blades cut into target at almost perfectly vertical state.

Quick Reply: Mechanicals heads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.