Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals heads? >

Mechanicals heads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals heads?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Mechanicals heads?

[blockquote]quote:

My basic observation has been that as long as you are smarted then the broadhead then they work fine. (i.e. after you take them out of your quiver, make sure the blades are properly seated and you will not have problems). [/blockquote]

Your kinda making his point.
Exactly!!
I actually love the fact that a lot of guides around here do NOT allow mechanicals as it keeps a lot of folks from making bad decisions. Choose a decent fixed blade and tune your bow properly and you won't have any problems with change of impact.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TG78

[blockquote]quote:

My basic observation has been that as long as you are smarted then the broadhead then they work fine. (i.e. after you take them out of your quiver, make sure the blades are properly seated and you will not have problems). [/blockquote]

Exactly!!
I actually love the fact that a lot of guides around here do NOT allow mechanicals as it keeps a lot of folks from making bad decisions. Choose a decent fixed blade and tune your bow properly and you won't have any problems with change of impact.
You also won't have a 2+inch entry and exit hole...

Everybody needs to shot whatever it is that they like, but I still think that asking someone to properly seat the blades is not to much to ask.

-john
Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TG78

[blockquote]quote:

Exactly!!
Sorry, but using a fixed blade head doens't make your decisions any better. I've seen guys out there with 5 different mismatched arrows with 5 different fixed blade head (no doubt different weights as well) who think bow tuning involves turning the bolts on the bow. Tell me these guys are making great decisions.

Choose any broadhead you like, tune it to your set up, know your limitations and hunt smart and you'll do fine.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

I’m not trying to bash anyone here or start a big dispute soif they work for than that's great. I’m just trying to understand why people put themselves through unnecessary troubles with mechanical broad heads. I keep reading the same song and dance over and over about them (especially the Rage heads lately) and I’m confused. Everyone wants their broad heads to fly like field points and if they don’t, they switch things up or head out to buy the newest gadget out. It really makes me wonder how hard it is for these people to just sight in the broad heads.

For me, I’m pretty darn lucky that my field points and fixed broad heads fly the same. However, they didn’t always and it only took a minor adjustment to my sight and I was all good. I sure wouldn’t go outbuy or try something that is constantly getting replies like below just to save a few seconds,cut corners orfollow the crowd.

“yes they do open quiteeasy ifthe blades get hitbut not "by themselves" just put the rubber band on right and you’ll have no problems with them” Or here’s one on shooting through blind mesh, “Unless you've got some dental floss tied around them in the center, yes. They will most definitely open going through the mesh. I'm honestly not sure I would trust them even w/ the floss”. Here are some other comments about it, “I'm getting some 2 blades, ever since the 3 blade recall". This one’s my favorite, “yeah, I use 2 blade one less blade to worry about so I couldn’t tell you about the 3 blade...the only thing I don't like about them are the have a tenacity to open by themselves, just by hitting a little tree or anything...but all I do is put rubber band for teethbraces on them and I can whack them against anything andproblem solved” and then, “Now I take them out of the quiver, make sure they are snapped in tight and then kill deer with them”

It seems to me that as a bow hunter I wouldn’t want to be out hunting worried about my equipment, how I can rig it to work right or if it they might be added to a “recall list”. I also don’t need go out hunting and have to keep remembering to double check my blades before I take a shot so that it work right. I’m sure that most will say that these broads are “devastating to deer” or “you can’t get a better blood trail than with a fixed heads” or “they pass through deer”. I say so what! If you do your part as an ethical and responsible hunter knowing where to place the arrow and then practicing it, the size of the hole shouldn’t matter. As far as pass through shots, I do it with my fixed broad heads a lot.

Again, If they work awesome for you that’s great! I wish you the best of luck every time you’re out in the woods and you have no need to reply. But for those that keep posting and asking wondering about them…………………………………..why would want to put yourself through all these issue with them?
If you like and believe fixed heads are best, fine, but to come on here and say why wouldpeople put themselves through " unnesessary troubles" is laughable.

If taking you arrow out of the quiver and looking to make sure the blades are locked in is the "trouble" you're talking about I will live with that to shoot arguably the most devestating head out there, Rage.

And by the way, when I shot fixed heads I would double check the heads everytime I pulled those out of the quiver too, to make sure everything wasright with the head.

Try better next time when you try to bash, even though you say "I'm not trying to bash", mechanical heads that have proven themselves.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: annika3

Try better next time when you try to bash, even though you say "I'm not trying to bash", mechanical heads that have proven themselves.

~~~ Please explain where he "BASHED" mechanical broadheads??? I thought he made a great post explaining what his "thoughts" were on mechanicals!

Ohhh and it didnt take you very long(like everytime)to become offended when someone expressed there own feelings about your own precious broadhead.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

~~~ Please explain where he "BASHED" mechanical broadheads??? I thought he made a great post explaining what his "thoughts" were on mechanicals!

Ohhh and it didnt take you very long(like everytime)to become offended when someone expressed there own feelings about your own precious broadhead.

Hmmm, do I detect a history here?

Who's got the beer?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Who's got the beer?

Haha Bry no history, just taking up for the guy!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Who's got the beer?

Haha Bry no history, just taking up for the guy!
Boooo! We want some action. JERRY, JERRY, JERRY, JERRY, JERRY!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyway you look at it you can have a hunter in the field with any BH on the market and if he is not doing the most he can to know his ownas well ashis equipment limits, the outcomes are what you are reading about, regardless of the BH chosen.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, having to look at the broadhead to make sure the blades are seated at the 'moment of truth' is certainly too much trouble for me. But hey to each his own. I would agreewith 130 wooodmanhere's his assessment.
I did last year with the Rage 3 blade, I would never do it again. The blades popped out of the o-ring and flew like crap. I missed a 5 x 6 and the arrow sounded like a fan in flight. IMO go with a fixed head 1-less thing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Mechanicals heads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.