Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow fletching? >

Arrow fletching?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow fletching?

Old 03-05-2003, 01:59 PM

Default Arrow fletching?

I was wondering what type of helical twist to put on my arrows? I have a wisker biscuit. The greater the twist the more stabalized the arrow will be during flight correct? I have some problems with torn veins and was wondering if the greater degree twist would cause more problems? Is there anything I can do to help prevent my veins from riping off? ie-more glue at base. Is a 4 degree twist beter than a 1 degree twist or is a 1 degree twist more than satisfactory?
Old 03-05-2003, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Arrow fletching?

True flight did a test a few years ago and found 8 degrees of heli was a good compromise for spin and speed. I always recomend depending on your style of rest to get as close to that as possible. I have seen a lot of people dab the leading edge of their fletch with a dab of glue in order to help them hold up through a biscuit. Other than that, I dont know what else to tell you to try. Once a biscuit gets worn in the problem usually goes a way. Just try to tune so your fletch goes through the same way on the biscuit everytime. That will help for even wear. Four degrees should always stabilize better than one. One degree might work out to twenty or twenty five yds., if your tuned to absolute perfection and have great form,and use 1 1/8 cut heads or smaller, or mechs. You would just have to group tune and find out. Four would be a better all around compromise. Just my thoughts, and hope it helps.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:52 PM

Is your fletching falling off in flight or after they go into target? Could be anumber of problems look to your fletch jig it might not be giving you a good mold. Also you probably know to clean your shafts and fletches in some sort of acetone ect. And try a better glue. I like the fastfletch expensive but worth it.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:29 PM

I shoot with a guy who uses a bisquit. He has about 2 degrees of offset. shoots vanes and puts a little extra glue on the end so that they do not come off.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2003, 06:23 AM

Also have your cock vane UP. I found that to work better, and glue the tips.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:21 PM

I use a whisker biscuit and shoot arrows with a 4 degree offset. No problems here, they shoot great.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:18 PM

mysticguido, are you using a whisker buiscuit? I have the adjustable nocks and might try the cock feather up even though I am not having any real " problems" I am always interested in trying things for practice.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:32 AM

A loose arrowtobiscuit fit always works the best with the whisker biscuit. Bohning and Flex-Fletch make the best vanes for use with the whisker biscuit. The rubber based vanes are the weakest don' t use them. The urethane based vanes are the toughest and hold up the best long term. White vanes are the softest regardless of the manufacturer because the amout of dye it takes to make the feather white weaken the vane, so you might avoid this color.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:40 PM

thanks for all the info, this helps a lot and gives me new ideas!