Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow fletching. >

Arrow fletching.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow fletching.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow fletching.

Asking for some input from you experienced ones!! After many years of bowhunting, I want to start fletching my own arrows. I have the room, the time, and like tinkering!I have scanned all kinds of input on jigs and have made that choice. I shoot a slow to mod speed round wheel compound maybe 240fps, 29 inch carbon arrows, right handedand will not be using feathers. I use a whisker biscuit and will forever and shoot mechanical 100g broadhead. My question is: I am shooting straight vanes now, is there any great reason to go to a twisted vane??Second question: what kind of setup are most of you guys using to cut your carbons?

I do not want to bother running to the pro shop for this stuff since the closest shop is 45 minutes from me and the good one an hour. I will get more satisfaction in making my own and the freedom to experiment which I am looking forward to.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow fletching.

Off set or helical vanes will stabilize the arrow quicker then a straight fletch specially when a broad head is attached.

As for cuttingcarbons you could spend a lot of money on an apple arrow saw or make your own with a minii cut off saw from Harbor Freightwhich is what I done

There are a lot of jigs out there I use the AEF but if money is no object then get several Blitz jigs and put them on a turn table like most Pro Shops have
Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

fletching arrows is pretty simple from what i hear..putting the vanes in the jig and gluing them on the shaft. the choice is yours about straight, offset or helical. i personally like as much of a helical as i can get. better stability and accuracy. straight vanes are pretty much useless. they do nothing but add weight. your arrow will not spin at all.

good vanes for the WB are blazer vanes from what i hear..i know they are tough durable vanes..i pass them through my bag target all the time and they come out fine.

cutting carbons you need a high speed saw. some guys made jigs to use dremel tools and the like..but you need a high speed saw to prevent it from splintering..
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Since you are shooting the WB, stay away from a hard helical. My experience has been that the two don't really get along very well. I would, however, fletch an offset to get some spin...Spin will help stabilize the arrow faster and better.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

That is what I was worried about is how much of a degree to the twist would be bad with the biscuit.

I will start with the Arizona it seems very easy and fast. If I do not like it then the Biz but for 1/5th the price the easy will be the way for me.

I can not decide if I wanna go with the saw all set up allready for $99 or go with the $25 saw and make my own set up.

I will give the Blazer vanes a tryout.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Fletch,
I do not believe you will be happy w/ an Arizona E-Z Fletch. It will work great w/4 and5 inch vanes but I tried it w/ the Blazers and it does not put an offset on the vane. The Blazers are too short.
I use a Greyling fletching jig. It's fully adjustable for offset or helical and not real expensive. It will allow you to experiment w/ the correct offset angle for a WB.
Granted you put 1 vane on at a time but if you use AAE fastset gel it only takes 5-10 seconds per vane.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM

I just started fletching my own arrows and it isn't too hard. I borrowed my uncles Jo Jan Fletching jig or atleast I think thats what it is by looking on the internet. I also use blazers and a whisker biscuit. With this jig it puts a little bit of helical on it and I'm shooting good with it so I guess I can't ask for much more. I did a how to speech on fletching arrows if you want I can send it to you, but be warned before I gave my speech I had only fletched one arrow. I've been thinking of trying to cut my own arrows Ausie-guy what kind of a blade do you use on your cut off saw?I bought one a year ago from harbor freight bet its the same saw. Its blaze orange and silver.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:13 PM

I have alway shot helical flected arrows. I also shot a whisker biscuit and have never had any trouble other than the fletchind wear. The helical flecth give you more spin kinda like a rifle. Always made sense to me.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

I mis-stated before that I shoot straight. I shoot store bought, they are helicle but not sure how much. I think the Arizona EZ has a right helicle but it said 6 degrees I think. If that is not too much for a biscuit I will be fine.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

I believe you can get different degrees of offset on the Arizona.
I use one and it is called 'straight', but still has 1 degree.
I also shoot through a whisker bicuit, but I think I will have to switch to the blazer vanes. The ones I have get pretty beat up.

Quick Reply: Arrow fletching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.