Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you trespass to get to your stand? >

Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Would you trespass to get to your stand? UPDATE

Truck is no problem. Church said I can park in their parking lot, if I dont just go into my land and park. Im not going to deal with them after meeting with them, sounds like she may wear the pants in the family. I will come in and walk down propety line behind church, hopefully avoiding any activity in the AM. I have 6 other stands I could hunt as well, its just that this one is the best that I have seen sign, bedding, etc. If I decide to go in by property line I will just go in an hour earlier and find the shortest distance from point a to b.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never a good thing to have to deal with people who call the game warden every time they hear a shot nearby. Crap like that should be illegal.

Just hope that she doesn't call the game warden on you if she catches you and then suddenly her husband develops a case of amnesia about your conversation with him[:-]
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you trespass to get to your stand?

There I go again, making up my own laws haha. I checked with my friend in Pa you are allowd to use any waterway for entrance or travel, even if by foot or hip wader.(He fishes several streams that run through private property, but as longas he stays in the creek, hes legal)But looks like different states have different laws in regards. I'd check with the state law first!
This is not 100% true. The water must be deemed navigable and listed as such. Otherwise its still tresspassing and if caught you would be subject to being fined. You'd have to go thru lengthy court battles to PROVE the historic use as a navigible water. For the majority of little creeks and such, they aren't defined as navigible waters, and to walk down the middle of them would be tresspassing.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never a good thing to have to deal with people who call the game warden every time they hear a shot nearby. Crap like that should be illegal
The good thing is anybody that calls the game warden that much, especially if the calls are unwarranted probably isn't regarded as a high priority by said game warden.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

The GWs where i'm from in Illinois would likely be very irrate about the secondtime that they got a call to come out based on someone hearing a shot in the general vicinity of their property. I wouldnt want to be on that type of person's property without at least having the husbands consent in writing.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

The GW's in Louisiana are strict as hell. Last year I hit a deer in my truck while on leave from Germany, and she wasn't dead yet. I took out my knife and dispatched her. The GW gave me fine. What I did was extremely ethical, and I wasn't going to lether thrash around, dying, on a public road while I had to sit there and wait for a GW and sherriff's deputy to get there.

Likely, if a GW caught you, he would warn you. There is always the chance that he could be having a bad day and decide to write you an outrageous ticket. It's up to you if you are willing to take that chance.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Serious question:

Is trespassing something a GW worries about? Or....is trespassing a matter for "other" authorities?

If someone was trespassing on my land....I'd call the Sheriff's dept.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Illinois people are now required to have written permission to be on someone else's land. GW's will check for that if they come across you hunting.

Where my land is located, the closest county cops are 10 miles away. it would be a tough call if they would even bother to show up unless it was a pretty bad case of trespassing.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Where my land is located, the closest county cops are 10 miles away. it would be a tough call if they would even bother to show up unless it was a pretty bad case of trespassing.
Further than that, for me.......

But my question is.....is trespassing breaking a game law? Why would a GW bother himself with anything other than those matters concerning game violations?

I really don't think they would, here. I asked my GW what would happen if I caught someone hunting the parks system.....and he told me I'd need to call the sherrif.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy who grew up in the mountains near the WV/VA border had poachers set up camp on top of the mountain property he owns. His dad, brothers, along with a load of cops went up there and busted the hell out of them. There wasn't any GW with them at all.

Quick Reply: Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.