Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ATTACKED, oh what hunters will endure >

ATTACKED, oh what hunters will endure

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ATTACKED, oh what hunters will endure

Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ATTACKED, oh what hunters will endure

Today wasn't my day. I was on my property today working. Doing some cutting and working on stands. I was climbing up to one of my lock ons, the highest one, about 26 feet. I'm near the top, and come face to face with a hornets nest. I still don't know how I got to the ground so quickly. I was at the top when I encountered the nest. Luckily I was stung only twice. I went back to the camp to get some hornet-wasp spray, and put an end to that problem. Well, a little later I go to a different stand. I inspect it from the ground and see no nests. I climb the tree and am on my lock on, about 20 feet up. I left the seat on this stand from last year and the squirrels have pretty much torn it up, so I'm taking it off to put another on. I'll be damned if there is not a wasp nest inside the seat. There is no way I could have seen it. Well, I'm standing 20 feet up in a tree with about 10 wasps pissed off at me. I go down the tree with one hand and swat with the other. They popped me three times. All of my stands were clean, except for these two, and I paid the price. I've been stung so many times, I think I'm immune to wasp stings. My record still stands at 28 stings. I stumbled onto a yellow jacket nest one day whileweed eating a clearing on my property, and they nailed me 28 times. Most of them stung me through my shirt and pants, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds.Thank God I'm not allergic to stings. Anybody else had trouble this summer? Who all is allergic and has to be really careful when working or hunting?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ATTACKED, oh what hunters will endure

allergic, I carry an Epi-pen.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

No encounters with mean insects so far but i also noticed today that some kind of creature thought that it would be funny to chew away half of the padde cusion in my one year old ladder stand. Probably the squirrels as well!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow....that had to have sucked.....the bees dont mess with me much....prolly cuz i dont mess with them! lol
Old 07-11-2008, 11:05 PM

We have an old toyota fj-40. and the wasps made there nests inside the heater blower.[8D]
Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch! Sounds like a painful day. [&:] I had my own incident about a month ago. Last year I had some moles digging tunnels in my front yard. Well, I was able to get rid of them but being the lazy person I am I never bothered filling the holes. A family of carpenter bees decided to make it their home this year. We had an outdoor picnic and apparently there was enough activity to get the bees stirred up. They came out attacking. My mother-in-law and both of my kids each got stung a single time. I got bit 4 times. Those suckers hurt! I never knew them to be so aggressive but after reading up on their behavior I learned that they actually have guards which protect the nest.

I ended up flooding the next with the garden hose and that forced most of them out. Then that night I poured some dish soap down there and covered up all the entry/exit holes I could find. A month later I haven't seen a single one come back.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive never been stung more than once, but i was with my cousin when he broke a log and there was a nest inside. My mom stopped counting at 50 sting marks and took him straight to the hospital.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was stung 23 times by those big black bumble bees, we called them queen bees back in the day. There was an old ice cream truck at the bottom of the hill where I lived and me and my cousin were jumping up and down on the seats. There was a nest under the seat and they chased us all the way home about a hald mile mile stinging us all the way. My cousin got hit more than 30 times and had to go to the emergency room.
Just this week we had to bring a bee keeper in to work to remove thousands of honey bees up in a tree where we park. They were forming a hive but funny thing was they would all be piggyback on each other in 5 different locations in the tree. This was the 2nd time in a couple of weeks we had to have the bee keeper out. The 1st time they had to remove part of a wall to get at them. He removed what he estimated as upwards of 80,000 bees. He figures this lastest episode was from a few that got left behind and they got a new queen to start a new hive. I hold the utmost respect for bees. I'll crash the truck trying to excape if one flies in the window.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:47 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Never had problems with bees whilehunting. Backin the teen days we where picking up bales andthey had hives in the alflafa field. My brother and I thought it would be a good idea to leave the bales alone right by the hives. Dad on the other hand didn't and made us get them. Move slow he says and they won't sting you. Ya right!!! Course he is the same guy that had to get a bale by a badger hole with a ticked off badger in it. It chased him away 4 or 5 times. Most would have given up on it but not him. He grabbed the hand crank for starting the tractor and whacked it on the head when it charged him. Badger ran back down the holebut popped right back out while dad was running away with the bale.

Tim
Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

I think I'm immune to wasp stings. My record still stands at 28 stings. I stumbled onto a yellow jacket nest one day whileweed eating a clearing on my property, and they nailed me 28 times. Most of them stung me through my shirt and pants, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds.Thank God I'm not allergic to stings. Anybody else had trouble this summer? Who all is allergic and has to be really careful when working or hunting?
I have to deal with a lot of yellow jackets when they start nesting which in our country is late July and August. I usually get stung 2-3 times a year but thank goodness its always been single isolated incidences and have never had any allergic reactions.

From what I believe to know however, you are more vulnerable, not less to an allergic reaction in the future due to being stung so many times and especially so many times at once.

At least that is what happened to a friend of mine who is now dangersously allergic to them who wasn't before being swarmed one day and receiving multiple stings in one incident.

Quick Reply: ATTACKED, oh what hunters will endure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.