Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting a rich man's sport? >

Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

it is sad that ALOT of people feel that they have to have the latest,greatest, advertised best items or you cant' get into hunting or the animal will laugh at you, or whatever.
gotcha
Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think it's a Poorman's sport....get it?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I have been saying it for years... this used to be a blue collar sport and it has become more of a "gentleman's sport" recently. You know, one where we start to bicker over weapon choice, bow manufacturer, broadhead choice, etcPut something on TVand it is amazing how fast it becomes the "popular" thing to do.
Hunting as a whole in most of the country today is not cheap at all.

Take a look at civilizations/countries a couple hundred years older than ours.... France, Germany, England (to a lesser extent). Hunting and fishing are priviledges for the gentry and well-to-do. Its a look forward folks... history repeats itself... although I think we do have a fighting chance moreso than any other country ever has to keep hunting at least semi-affordable.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

You don't need to be richto hunt inMN...we have like 4-5 million acres of public hunting ground.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: hmthtrfan

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

its sad really.
Don't understand what's so sad about it. Who's to say what's right or wrong for a man to spend HIS money on? Never understood this line of thinking.
What is was gettin at is that...

it is sad that ALOT of people feel that they have to have the latest,greatest, advertised best items or you cant' get into hunting or the animal will laugh at you, or whatever. that's what i meant by "its sad really".
What's sad is that is most pronounced only around here. At the shop, there isn't nearly as much of that going on. Folks are getting what they like, and want, not what is "popular" on an internet forum.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. What goes on here in the world on HNI isn't always a good representation of "real world." The folks around here are generally fanatics, and extremely passionate about what they do, how they do it, and with what. And that's not a bad thing either. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I think it's a Poorman's sport....get it?
HA HA....AHHH haaaa ha..ha ha..ahhhhhh.......It certainly in in PA....
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't need to be rich to hunt in MN...we have like 4-5 million acres of public hunting ground.
Very true!

I don't care what anyone says though bowhunting and hunting in general is getting down right expensive!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

You don't need to be rich to hunt in MN...we have like 4-5 million acres of public hunting ground.
Very true!

I don't care what anyone says though bowhunting and hunting in general is getting down right expensive!
True...I seem to spend more money on hunting stuff every season.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with some others - it CAN be an expensive sport, but it doesn't have to be. Yeah, if you want the latest gear and all the high-tech marvels, you're going to pay for it. On the other hand, if you just want to get out in the woods, have fun, and hopefully harvest a deer once in awhile, it doesn't have to be that expensive.

For example, in Ohio here could be a rough breakdown of costs:

Each Year:
-Hunting license = $30 or so per year
-Deer tag = $25 per year

Initial, or "Start-up Costs":
-Bow (low-end or used model) = $120 - $150
-Arrows, broadheads = $40 - $60
-Clip-on stand with spikes or ladder to climb = $60 - $100

So basically, you're looking at a $60 or so per-year cost, plus a "start-up" cost of $220 - $310. The "start-up" costs can be a bit high, but if you look at how many years you get out of your hunting setup, it's very reasonable. That's well within reach of most people nowadays. I left out things that people say are necessary, but I disagree. For example, camo - I've gotten more than 1 deer up in a treestand wearing my old brown winter coat - no camo. I thought the point of a treestand was so that deer wouldn't look up and see you.

Bow/Firearm/Hunting companies spend a LOT of money trying to convince us that we need to spend more and more money in order to be successful at hunting. Nothing could be further from the truth...

Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember what happened to fly fishing some years back after the movie "A River Runs Through It" came out? Fly fishing was suddenly the fashionable thing to do. High income yuppies came in with their gobs of disposable income and ran the prices up on everything from fly tying thread to chest waders. A good fly rod went from about a hundred bucks to about 500 bucks.

When they got bored with fly fishing, seems a lot of 'em took up bowhunting.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.