Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing corn.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Standing corn.

One ofthe best ways to hunt standing corn is with 3-5 or even more people. Start at the end of the corn field and spread out about 25 yrds between each hunter. The guy on the end starts in and gets about 5 rows in (5 hunters) and the next one starts in and on down the line. Walk into the corn sidways with your bow on four hip but ready to raise and shoot. Upon entering each row stick your head through first and peer both ways. If you jump a deer you might be able to get a shot unless he runs down the row and then a trailing hunter will get the shot as he is futher down and behind unless the deer moves ahead of you which is unlikely. No one will have more than a 25 yrd shot.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

One ofthe best ways to hunt standing corn is with 3-5 or even more people. Start at the end of the corn field and spread out about 25 yrds between each hunter. The guy on the end starts in and gets about 5 rows in (5 hunters) and the next one starts in and on down the line. Walk into the corn sidways with your bow on four hip but ready to raise and shoot. Upon entering each row stick your head through first and peer both ways. If you jump a deer you might be able to get a shot unless he runs down the row and then a trailing hunter will get the shot as he is futher down and behind unless the deer moves ahead of you which is unlikely. No one will have more than a 25 yrd shot.
I saw that old Wensel Bros. video too. Never heard of anyone else really trying it tho.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

I have never understood why people don't like hunting while corn is still standing.
The reason I veiw it as a mixed bag is the land I hunt.Quite a few deerspend almost all their time in corn - bedding and feeding - from August onward. I love it when most, but not all, the corn is gone. It really concentrates deer, probably cutting their 'cover' by half. When all the corn is still in, there are a lot less deer in the timber.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I've hunted standing corn a lot.There are a lot of deer that spend the summer in standing corn most of the day time. The deer like a change of pace. I liked to slip in and be a tree or two back in the woods in the afternoons. The deer will still feed in the corn but will slip out in the late afternoon for a drink or to change the diet a little. If you walk the outsides of the corn field you'll see the places they like to enter and leave the corn. Deer also like to walk along the outside of the corn just outside the woods while it's standing. You find a tucked away little corner or depression and you'll see where deer have been feeding. One of my best spots ever was a ditch with some water and trees between 2 cornfields. The ditch and trees were only 10-20 yards wide and 200 yards long. The deer had two places they liked to cross that ditch. Shot several deer in that ditch. I slipped in real quiet one day at 2 and quietly climbed up with my climber. Small tree so I could only get up about 14 feet. About a half hour later I noticed this corn stalk shaking. I got out my binos and was shocked to see this nice 8 pointer laying down in an area where the shade from the woods had stunted the corn about 60 yards away. He reached up pulled off an ear of corn and lay there eating it. A few minutes later he did another. He got up, moved 10 yards closer and lay back down. A few minutes later, now at maybe 45 yards he pulled off another ear. Suddenly a buck I hadn't seen stood up 60 yards away, and then I saw 2 more walking through the corn. I had 5 bucks bedded within 75 yards of my tree when I climbed up in it. None of them had spooked. They all got up and worked their way to my ditch for a drink of water. I shot the 8 at 12 yards. I put a friend from PA in another similar stand on the same field one day looking into the corn about 100 yards from where I shot the 8. He'd been there 20 minutes when a nice doe walked out of the corn. He shot her at 15 yards. She ran back into the corn. He knew it was a good hit and early so decided to stay put. 30 minutes later a buck walked out of the corn. He shot him at 20 yards. He ran under the stand a dropped dead in site of the stand. When I finally got to him after dark he had his deer loaded and was snoozing. I love standing corn. You can hear them coming and they will come if you find the right spots. They like the corn because it's cool in there laying in the dirt,especially if the corn is still green. If you find an area in the cornfield where the spectrisides didn't kill off all the grass and it's grown up they love to bed in that. I don't know if it's all the insectisides or what, but there's never a tick or bug on corn field deer. You walk from a misquito infested woods into a corn field and the misquitos disappear. The deer have found that out too. They love it but will leave it for water and a different browse or to feed on acorn around the edges. If you can find an oak or 3 on the edge of a field the deer love it. The acorns drop along the outside of the corn and they don't have to pick through the leaves of the woods to find them as they're usually laying right out in open sight.When the corn was standing I used to get out of my stand at the end of the AM hunt and weave my way through the corn towardsLen and his boy who would be sitting on an exit route. A bunch of deer were usually in there.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt is pretty void of Agricultural crop fields. Mostly CRP, hay fields, and pastures.

Dan
Old 07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I've hunted standing corn a lot.There are a lot of deer that spend the summer in standing corn most of the day time. The deer like a change of pace. I liked to slip in and be a tree or two back in the woods in the afternoons. The deer will still feed in the corn but will slip out in the late afternoon for a drink or to change the diet a little. If you walk the outsides of the corn field you'll see the places they like to enter and leave the corn. Deer also like to walk along the outside of the corn just outside the woods while it's standing. You find a tucked away little corner or depression and you'll see where deer have been feeding. One of my best spots ever was a ditch with some water and trees between 2 cornfields. The ditch and trees were only 10-20 yards wide and 200 yards long. The deer had two places they liked to cross that ditch. Shot several deer in that ditch. I slipped in real quiet one day at 2 and quietly climbed up with my climber. Small tree so I could only get up about 14 feet. About a half hour later I noticed this corn stalk shaking. I got out my binos and was shocked to see this nice 8 pointer laying down in an area where the shade from the woods had stunted the corn about 60 yards away. He reached up pulled off an ear of corn and lay there eating it. A few minutes later he did another. He got up, moved 10 yards closer and lay back down. A few minutes later, now at maybe 45 yards he pulled off another ear. Suddenly a buck I hadn't seen stood up 60 yards away, and then I saw 2 more walking through the corn. I had 5 bucks bedded within 75 yards of my tree when I climbed up in it. None of them had spooked. They all got up and worked their way to my ditch for a drink of water. I shot the 8 at 12 yards. I put a friend from PA in another similar stand on the same field one day looking into the corn about 100 yards from where I shot the 8. He'd been there 20 minutes when a nice doe walked out of the corn. He shot her at 15 yards. She ran back into the corn. He knew it was a good hit and early so decided to stay put. 30 minutes later a buck walked out of the corn. He shot him at 20 yards. He ran under the stand a dropped dead in site of the stand. When I finally got to him after dark he had his deer loaded and was snoozing. I love standing corn. You can hear them coming and they will come if you find the right spots. They like the corn because it's cool in there laying in the dirt,especially if the corn is still green. If you find an area in the cornfield where the spectrisides didn't kill off all the grass and it's grown up they love to bed in that. I don't know if it's all the insectisides or what, but there's never a tick or bug on corn field deer. You walk from a misquito infested woods into a corn field and the misquitos disappear. The deer have found that out too. They love it but will leave it for water and a different browse or to feed on acorn around the edges. If you can find an oak or 3 on the edge of a field the deer love it. The acorns drop along the outside of the corn and they don't have to pick through the leaves of the woods to find them as they're usually laying right out in open sight.When the corn was standing I used to get out of my stand at the end of the AM hunt and weave my way through the corn towardsLen and his boy who would be sitting on an exit route. A bunch of deer were usually in there.
Exactly how I hunt standing corn and has always paid off.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

We always try to know the date of which the corn is being picked, THAT is a fun time to hunt.

Have tried the stalking in corn, without any success.

I believe your water and acorn idea is a good one, good luck!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

We always try to know the date of which the corn is being picked, THAT is a fun time to hunt.

Have tried the stalking in corn, without any success.

I believe your water and acorn idea is a good one, good luck!
One of the most exciting days of hunting I ever had was the day they cut the corn. I wasn't there to see them doing it but came in that afternoon. An hour before dark every deer that had spent the summer in the corn came boiling back up their escape trails trying to find their cornfield hideout. LOL