Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing corn.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Standing corn.

Just about every year here in central Minnesota the corn doesn't come out till right around November or so. Sometimes 2 weeks later then that. Sometimes not until next spring, depends on if we get an early winter or not. It really does suck being the deer love to stay in the corn but the upside to it is the gun hunters don't get the good hunting either and the next year the buck herd his in much better shape then.

My sightings when the corn is still in is usually half of what it usually is. I don't change my way of hunting. I still set up on the travel routes in between the bedding areas and the corn.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have corn standing every year.

I hunt near as much as I can. I have even found scrapes in the corn. I try and find where they enter and exit an camp out. Also during the rut hunt a big open woods near corn. A buck will push a doe in there to breed.

Gary
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

I lucked out they switched to beans this year.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Find a tree tall enough on the edge of the cornfield if its standing corn and use a climber to get as high as you can. A nice rack is easy to see if you are glassing the field. If Its bowseason, get an idea of the wind direction and wher he is and put a stalk on his ass and get a 15 yrd double lunger!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt a lot of standing corn - one observation that I've made over the years is that when the corn is standing, the deer seem to feel a heightened sense of security, so they don't necessarily go as deep into their bedding areas as usual. Particularly when the foliage is still heavy.

There have been times where I've bumped bucks out that were bedded barely inside the edge of the woods, as I tried to slip in and get set up.

Focus on the travel corridors between the corn and the beds. If you have lanes of corn that only intersect thewoods on one side, pay attention to those areas, because they tend to prefer to stay inside the cover of the standing stalks, so they like to travel accordingly. If you can get into a position to glass, and can get onto a buck while he's still on his regular feeding pattern - you could set yourself up for a very productive opener.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive killed one buck over standing corn
Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest to many who do have to trek in the early morning hours when its dark through the even darker corn to stay away from the following movies.

Signs.

Jeepers Creepers 1 and Jeepers Creepers 2.

Fire in the sky. (i know this movie has nothing to do with corn.. but i implore you not to watch it just before season opens anyway.)

Freakin' aliens love to loiter in corn fields.. making crop circles and generally scaring the cupcakes out of humans.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of my stands over look a 10 acre corn field and we usually dont harvest it untill late october early Nov. Sometimes wever let it stand as late as mid-late nov.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am used to 90% of corn being out by Nov 1 and that aids in concentrating deer. This year there is no way that will happen. I do not know yet if that may be a good thing or a bad thing - last year a place with most of the corn standing was an absolute hotspot during the rut.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never understood why people don't like hunting while corn is still standing. When I lived in Northern Indiana it was very common to hunt most of Oct and sometimes well into Nov with corn still standing. I killed a ton of deer, never had a problem, in fact my hunting was always better when I standing corn. Here in southern Illinois, I have not see a standing corn field in years during hunting season. It took me a while to adjust to hunting without standing corn, but I would more than welcome a big field of standing corn during bow season.

Quick Reply: Standing corn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.