Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What to do around standing corn? >

What to do around standing corn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do around standing corn?

Old 07-06-2004, 08:36 AM

Default What to do around standing corn?

Alright, last year the farms I hunt planted beans, which was nice because I could watch the deer in the evenings and knew where the big ones were hanging. This gave me a few great opportunities and boosted my confidence. Well this year the farmers planted corn and I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle this during early season hunting.

I know deer will hang out in the standing corn so I'm wondering if I should hunt the edges where the fields meet the woods to catch them coming and going. Another idea is that there is a pond in the middle of the field with corn all around it. I was thinking of setting up a ground blind made of corn stalks and hunting around the pond.

Other than basic scouting, inside corners and that sort of thing do you guys have any other suggestions on how to deal with deer in standing corn?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 AM

Default RE: What to do around standing corn?

I think you are better off using the coming and going theory. Try and find a place for a stand that overlooks 3 or 4 different trails coming into the field.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with deer-slayer on this one. Here in NW Ohio we hunt small woodlots with agricultural field surrounding the woods. I absolutely love it on the years where the crop rotation has corn around the woods. Find the trails coming from the woods to the corn and you will be set. Corners and inside "L" corners are usually great. I have one woods thatI hunt that has an L shaped corner and I live for the years that corn is the crop that year. I have killed several deer there. That corner is a major runway when there is corn. Another great thing is that the it is on the west side of the woods and it is a lower spot then the rest of the field, so in that corner the corn is usually alot thinner and alot shorter than the restof the field so you have numerous shot oportunities and and you can really see the deer moving around. I think that if you pinpoint the trails you are in for a dynamite season. I am really primed for this season because 4 of my woods I hunt ( including the one I just talked about) will be in corn. My heart is pounding right now just thinking about it!! Good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

My neighbor was telling me how you can stalk deer on a wet and windy day in the corn fields. The deer do love to hang out and sleep. It provides good protection. On a wet and windy day you can slip through the rows quitely undetected. Poke your head in a row and look both ways before stepping through. If you see a deer make your adjustments accordingly. I was told you get shoot them at point blank while they are sleeping. Never tried it but it sounds plausible to me.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey fieldmouse's idea sounds like some fun but the deer dont know you are there so it is kind of easy[&:]i think i would like to try it sometime. as fare as what you mentioned solax, set up where they are going in between 3 trails or more if possible. get them going to bed in the morning.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to deal with this situation as well! I would setup a treestand near thier trail's leading into the corn ,deer tend to follow easy trails that are already there for easy walking,there will probably be more than one so find the most traveled and get ready for them to return to the bush. It's great for early season hunting that there's a pond in the middle but as the season moves on the deer will frequent the pond less and less .

nubo
Old 07-06-2004, 10:21 AM

Thanks guys. The only problem with this is that the side of the field where the deer usually enter the farmer only owns about 40 yds in to the woods. Now I did set up there last year and arrow a nice buck.

Fieldmouse, I've tried that idea and gave it up, I am really bad at stalking and just never saw anything until it was too late.

Proff, you're cracking me up, sounds like you're ready to go. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Corn, corn you say? I would rather hunt a corn field any day!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:55 AM

Do you see the deer in the am or the pm at the edges of the corn? What time is the best to hunt it if they bed there?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corn fields can be a big problem because of the deer staying in it during hunting hours. But the're also a big draw to the deer. Finding the best entry/exit routes are your best bet. I was surprized several years ago when I was sitting on the edge of the woods bordering a cornfiled and watched deer ENTERING the woods in the evening! MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO BE THERE when the corn is being cut. For the first few days, the woods will be flooded with deer trying to reacclimate themselves to living in the woods again.--and the fields will be magnets for them as they look for all the missed corn on the ground.

Quick Reply: What to do around standing corn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.