Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea >

Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Correct me if I'm wrong - but doesn't the silver-impregnated stuff have to be in direct contact with the skin to get maximum scent elimination. That is - it kills the scent-producing microbes that live on the skin.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that it would work best if it was worn as the first layer, so as to ensure as much skin contact as possible?
You are correct, I have a baselayer I wear.

To me the socks are great, wear some for a day and take a whiff
Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the military, for everything but training suits, it was use once and dispose. But like I said, I use them for about three seasons and then get new. I have not been busted once due to odor. I have been busted:

1. on the way to a stand;
2. while coughing;
3. while farting;
4. and once for muttering a curse word at a buck that wouldn't come in while unbenownst to me there was a bigger buck behind me.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I think your silver layer wouldn't be nearly as effective if it were worn over top of something else.

Try carbon over silver.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong - but doesn't the silver-impregnated stuff have to be in direct contact with the skin to get maximum scent elimination? That is - it kills the scent-producing microbes that live on the skin.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that it would work best if it was worn as the first layer, so as to ensure as much skin contact as possible?
When I was saying "over" carbon I meant choosing it over the other, I should have been more clear.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use NBC suits - along with scentkiller, unscented laundry, deoderant, shampoo, ect. I get busted every now and then but much less frequently. Generally deer just start to act a bit nervous instead of snort and run - its as if they think I am 200 yards away instead of 20 (I still hunt the wind tho). The suits generally last me about a season of hard hunting - out almost every day at least once a dayfor 2 months. The only problem is - there is no way I can wear them over70 degrees, I start sweating and shorten its effective life.