Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice question... >

Practice question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice question...

Old 05-18-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Practice question...

My father-in-law has a 12 foot ladder stand that he is going to let me use this summer to practice from (last year was my first year bow hunting and I found out the hard way that shooting at a deer from a tree stand is MUCH different from shooting at a target from the gound).

My question is, I hunt from a stand 20 feet up, how much different is it shooting from only 12 feet vs. 20 feet?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:42 PM

Default RE: Practice question...

It isn't much different, just aim for where you want the arrow to EXIT the deer and you'll be fine. Remeber to bend at the waist, don't just bend your shoulder/neck area.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

You will need to adjust your point of aim as the height of your stand changes. Alot of people use pendulum sights to account for differing treestand heights. Also your personal setup will dictate how much different the point of impact will be.

On another note.. make sure to practice from the same stand that you'll be using for hunting at the same height you plan to hunt from. This way you get comfortable w/ the stand and maneuvering around it. Make sure to practice shots all around the tree.. since the deer aren't always directly in front of you. IE behind the tree ect.. Also be sure to break out the camo outfit you plan to wear and make sure you can shoot w/ it on... IE since getting my glasses I can't shoot my bow w/ the head net that I used to use. Good luck and have fun...
Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

also remember to practice with your camos on.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are worried about the change. Take a couple of practice arrows with you the first time you hunt in the 20 foot stand (or even better, before you hunt) and let them fly. Then you will know for sure. I still take a practice arrow with me and sometimes take a shot from various stands just to get the feel for each individual stand.