Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opinions on Crossbows >

Opinions on Crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions on Crossbows

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinions on Crossbows

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Don't get this twisted. I'm not coming tobat for CB user's, buthere are somefacts reguarding this subject as far as Pa goes. There has been no significant change in numbers of hunters afield, or any real change in the number of deer killed as a result of CB's being made legal to hunt with in Special Regs WMU's, or state wide (firearms season). In fact,in certain WMU's they have extended the season (antlerless only)by two weeks, are currently in the process of making it legal to kill a second deer before tagging the first one, and allowing bait to be used on private land only.
There is also an unlimited number of antlerless tags available in WMU 5-D, and they even increased the total number of these tags by 2000. I also should mention there has been a steady decline in most all types of hunting license salesthroughout the state of Pa. Even though I've put my CB away, because I like more of achallenge, CB's have made little difference in Pa hunting.
My feeling on SRA's is that they are an entirely different world compared to the rest of the state. You could make the rifle/shotgun season 4 months long, issue 10 million tags and you will still have problems knocking down the numbers because of access, not weapon/hutner efficiency.
This is true. However, the fact remains that even where there are a ton more deer, which there is, there hasn't been any real change in deer kill/hunter numbers. Hencethe increase in allotted tags. I should also mention I hunt public land and am amazed by the low number of hunters, reguardless ofthe weapon of choice.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Matt:

With all due respect....you're assuming these hunters wouldn't be successful in one of the gun seasons.....since you're a one and done buck state.

The amount of tags wouldn't change.....so, theoretically....the number of harvests shouldn't, either.

I'm on you guys side as far as YOUR state goes (wouldn't matter, here IMO).....but the above needs noting if we're going to look at this logically.

If my logic is way off.....I suspect someone will set me straight.
The number of fall harvests in bow season WOULD change (Especially the buck harvest) and they've already stated in black and white that the season WILL be shortened to accomodate the new bow season harvest dynamic.
The total buck harvest per year will increase because of the higher ratio of success that will be achieved in bow season vs. gun season is the way I understand it.

That's where it gets really biology and harvest ratio oriented and why I say nobody from Arkansas has the ability to say it will not negatively affect the PA season.
How it affects North Dakota or South Carolina I couldn't give a flip but I sure care about it here.

Unless someone sees a 2 week shorter season in a state where we can't hunt Sundays as a POSITIVE thing? then I'M missing something .........because that's what has already been stated by the Pennsylvania Game Commission as the likely scenario if they are adopted HERE.

So the one and only thing we canput down as a FACT for what crossbows will do for us here in PA is a shorter season, because it's already been laid out.
To me that's a negative and I don't want any part of it.
MAtt MI is close to PA and we are just about ready to pass xbows in Archery.

Two main differnces

1 PA has more hunters
2 MI has two buck tags

I think it's about a wash. I disagree with all your numbers. I don't think as many hunters are going to convert as you stated. I am guessing(only gusssing) less than half. Of the half I am guessing the success rate the first two years is less than 10%. Being these guys hunt like they have a gun, being you still have to get close to kill one, I just don't see it happing. Of the 100,000 that do convert, at least half will be done in 5 years. It will be too hard

I see compound hunters converting to become the majority of xbow hunters. We know they will be about 2% better than with a bow.

We just see it differnet, and there is nothing wrong with that

Just think where bowhunting would be today without compounds? Would some states even have a season?

For those who state it's about money, well it is and always will be. Hunting is the 12th biggest industry in the USA when put together. Without money no bowhunting
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Matt / PA

It has already been written in nice dark print that if crossbows are allowed here in PA they are going to have to shorten the archery season.

you could dark print that PA will blow up too when crossbows are allowed, that doesn't mean it will happen

PROOF it will happen, FACTS to back your belief it will happen ....... give me something besides a side affect of P&Y fear tactics.

A season extended into November that was fought and gained by the United Bowhunters of PA and which we will most likely now lose at the hands of something we didn't want in the first place. YIPPY.[&o]
most likely now? I thought you just said they will HAVE TO do it? you mean you don't know now, its just specualtion on your part ?

Shorter season due to an increased fall harvest, more crowding in the fall woods.
speculation on both, theory and not fact and ever other states that have allowed crossbows to everyone ver very few people if anyone complains now

funny that huh ?

Not sure how much I can say it or how many times, PA is not like Arkansas or Ohio that has been filetring crossbow hunters in for 30 years. We are too far gone here in PA in population, mentality and available land to hunt.

IF they really do fit a herd dynamic and a management plan and bowhunters can still find peace in other states like Arkansas that's great. It works for you guys but don't anyone who hunts elsewhere preach to me about what is going to work here when all your doing is spreading a false premise of good things to come.

no its not the same, but what happened when compounds were allowed in PA archery season ? hunters numbers went up 1000% and seasons actually probably increased too didn't they ? when compounds went to 80% letoff, and 300 fps, with mechanical releases, carbon arrows .......... all of that INCREASED hunters in the woods.

where are all the threads complaining about THAT Matt / PA ?

but we already get hammered in this state from the gun hunters that the bow hunters kill all the bucks before gun season comes in, up that number by 50K & they will be IRATE that we are shooting "thier" deer. Hence, the reduced season Matt talked about.
fiction, wives tale, P&Yscare tactics, fables

Sorry, those fears are unfounded and the G&F of PA knows it and they're doing what they're suppose to do - maximize huning opportunities and make money and getting more people into archery season by way of crossbows is a GOOD THING. Heck, maybe you'll triple your bowhunting numbers, and by sheer number of bowhunters petition the G&F to ADD 4 weeks to your season and reduce gun by 1 week.

Theory - it COULD happen, just like ya'lls theory- based on nothing

The number of fall harvests in bow season WOULD change (Especially the buck harvest) and they've already stated in black and white that the season WILL be shortened to accomodate the new bow season harvest dynamic.

ok, WHO is saying this ?

because if you can show me crossbows are a NEGATIVE to archery season, I'll JOIN you in being against them

Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

From the UBP Website outlining the source of hoopla concerning crossbows in PA:

The crossbow industry and the various and numerous trade and commerce associations which support them, long recognizing a potential market share in Pennsylvania worth multiple millions of dollars, has finally succeeded in convincing at least 55 members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives that by merely ‘legally’ changing the Title 34 definition of ‘bow’, currently defined as hand held, hand drawn and held in place by hand or with a hand held mechanical trigger to now also include the crossbow in that definition of what is a bow. This legislation changes the definition of a bow from a hand held, hand drawn, in the presence of game hunting implement, to ‘include’ a device that is hand held, but actually in the condition of and as a fully loaded, locked, and cocked device, requiring no concern for physical movement or mental training to accomplish the task at hand, much like a firearm; the crossbow.
If this legislation that will re-define the legal definition of what constitutes a vertical bow and that of a crossbow to be one and the same, all existing and future archery seasons would be understood to include the crossbow.
There is little data available to either substantiate or disprove the crossbow industry’s documented claims that there will be no significant biological impact on the deer management plan in Pennsylvania, or any possible effect on the duration of the presently long-existing and well-tested successful archery seasons in the state. There is; only rampant commercial speculation as to how many crossbows may be sold in Pennsylvania if the Legislation passes. There has been no consideration by either the crossbow industry’s commercial interests nor the 55 members of the House of Representatives currently signed as co-sponsors to House Bill 2653, for the possibly significant social ramifications on the already severely stressed relationships between Pennsylvania’s already existing many special interest hunting factions. There is, or was also, no consideration by either party, of the extremely difficult to predict overall effects to wildlife management in a state that historically fielded nearly a million sportsmen per year, or for that matter, in a state which has more acres of public lands shared by more varied outdoor enthusiasts than nearly any other state in the nation.

Hopefully Mr. Frye wouldn't object to me postingthe following here also.......concerning what was talked about above: House bill 2653

By Bob Frye
TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR
Sunday, June 29, 2008

Could hunters who use crossbows to take deer in places like Allegheny County get the opportunity to lug them off to deer camp someday soon?
Maybe so. The Pennsylvania Game Commission will look into the possibility of allowing hunters to use crossbows for big game in all seasons.
Hunters can already use crossbows in Pennsylvania in certain situations. Anyone who can get a doctor to say they're physically incapable of drawing a conventional bow can get a permit to use them in any big game season. More able-bodied hunters can also use them to hunt elk, bears, and even deer in special regulations areas.
They've been off limits in other situations, though -- most noticeably the statewide archery deer season.

At last week's Game Commission meeting in Harrisburg, however, commissioner Russ Schleiden of Centre County asked agency staff to investigate the pros and cons of introducing crossbows to all seasons in time for the 2009-2010 hunting seasons.
He asked for a report to be presented at the agency's October meeting, which will be held in Washington County.
"The crossbow has been approved for just about every season but one," said Schleiden, of Centre County. "I feel it's been long overdue."
The idea is sure to generate lots of debate.
The United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania -- the group representing the state's organized archers -- has long opposed the legalization of crossbows for the archery season.
In a report on the organization's web site, UBP president Wes Waldron said the group opposes "the use of crossbows in the general archery season by those fully capable of drawing and holding a conventional bow."
The previous three attempts at legalizing crossbows for Pennsylvnaia's archery deer seasons were all sparked by requests from crossbow manufacturers, dealers, and state lawmakers, Waldron added.

Commissioner Tom Boop of Northumberland County believes that is the case again this time.
Typically, he said, commissioners make changes to game laws based on "a perceived need, or a perceived desire," expressed by the agency's constituents. But he said he's heard from no hunters asking for crossbows.
"I think it's fair to say that this is being driven by manufacturers and lobbyists and not from our stakeholder groups," Boop said.
Indeed, the only person to testify in support of crossbows at the agency's June meeting was a representative of a crossbow manufacturer.
Schleiden -- who said he does not own a crossbow and has no plans to get one -- hinted that there is broader support for the tool, though he did not specify who that might be.
"I think you'll find out once we introduce it," he said.
Schleiden did admit that introducing crossbows to archery season could have ramifications. If too many hunters take up crossbows and shoot too many deer, the commission might have to consider shortening archery season or bag limits, he said.

If I can find the other source where I read the PGC reiterating the likelihood of shortening the season or bag limits I'll post it.

Like I said.......even commissioners have stated that this not something that is being driven by the bowhunters or even HUNTERS in general of this state.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

There were no commercial interests driving the traditional bow and compound bow movements in the past and present?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

There were no commercial interests driving the traditional bow and compound bow movements in the past and present?
Good question.

Just how many years ago were compounds legalized during the archery season? Were they ever "illegal"?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing we know about history, were doomed to repeat it
Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

UPB is hardly a good source for an unbiased source Matt / PA

that first quote is ALL speculation, with a nice twist of fear added

If I can find the other source where I read the PGC reiterating the likelihood of shortening the season or bag limits I'll post it.
ok, you need to stop saying it WILL happen and replace it withits your opinoion, or there is apossibility that balks what every other states seasons have went through etc etc

Like I said.......even commissioners have stated that this not something that is being driven by the bowhunters or even HUNTERS in general of this state.

you seriously don't understand that EVERYTHING is driven that way. People didn't ASK for compounds, or carbons, or mechanical heads ....... manufacturers gave them to us when seeing a way to "improve" and i use that word loosley.

and we, as consumers, bought into it all and we do every fall with new gadgets and equipment that pushed the fringes of legal and ethical

facts and proof Matt / PA 24 pages, and I can offer you my proof by way of whats happened in states that HAVE allowed crossbows. Theres my proof, its all I have to offer from stats from those states showing no decrease in archery seasons, or tags, and no massive increase in bowhunter numbers

in other words, no negative impact

if you cannot provide even one little fact to say they shouldn't be allowed, then what you're doing is opposing something without a factual reason. now, your true reason might be selfish (you want the woods to yourself) but sir, that is a terrible thing if you really want that I think

Just how many years ago were compounds legalized during the archery season? Were they ever "illegal"?
Yes, archery laws had to be ammended to include compounds, >50% letoff, >65% letoff, >80% letoff, mechanical releases, mechanical broadheads, baiting, arrow rests ........ the rules change EVERY YEAR to include/allow new technology into the sport of bowhunting.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Good question.

Yes Jeff, I remember when I first started bowhunting in Pa, compounds were not legal at the time, only recurves. I think they became legal somewhere around 1977 or 1978. I'm sure someone can be more specific on this though.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Jeff, I remember when I first started bowhunting in Pa, compounds were not legal at the time, only recurves. I think they became legal somewhere around 1977 or 1978. I'm sure someone can be more specific on this though.
Surely commercial crossbows were around in the late 70's too........if they were so close in technology to compounds(probably more so then than now?), then why weren't they just adopted at the same time. Surely they aren't justNOW all of a sudden archery tackle?
If they are being argued as bows now ,why weren't they consideredequal then?

Crossbows are successful in a state like Ohio because Ohio has grown over that same time period WITH crossbows, they haven't just been shoved down their throats in the last year or so.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.