Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opinions on Crossbows >

Opinions on Crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions on Crossbows

Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinions on Crossbows

At least I am gonna assume that you won't find a single compound bow company rep saying anything other than bad things about expanding use of he crossbow.
Except PSE, Parker, Bowtech and Darton... They also make crossbows.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mea Culpa. I should have been more specific in terms of referencing companies that do not market crossbows.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Arthur Pspeaks much truth

If the is little to NO hunter outcry that wants X-bows made legal for the general archery season and the push is coming almost entirely from the X-bow manufacturers…..don’t you think that is a little naïve to make something legal, just because those who manufacture it want it to be that way?
compounds came in just like that, so did mechanical broadheads, mechanical releases, >50% letoff, fiber optic pins, scent lock clothes ........ everything is market driven, and there is one absolute I've noticed in human nature - its that humans WANT EASIER

If I could manufacture a bow that would gaurantee you would not miss, I'd sell millions on them by Oct 1st. If I could make a compound that would shoot 500fps and "feel" like a Q2 shooting 310 I'd sell millions of them.

crossbows are another choice in your weapon to use to fill your tags.

thats it, nothing more, nothing less

Why is it you can rip compound shooters but at the same time your using one? I don't get it, your ripping yourself as well! You say its not true bow hunting but yet you do it because its legal. Thats a bunch of BS!! If you don't believe in something you shouldn't do it period. Trying to impress someone? I suppose you would shoot a gun out of a car too at deer just because it would be legal.
because I realize I'm using an easier weapon - and my muzzleloader tag for elk is going to be easier than archery, and if I rifle hunt, I'm taking an even EASIER route to fill my tags.

most people don't get that Schultzythey're all wrapped up in their choices of weapons they can't see straight on issues like this.

I don't know if I'd shoot out of a car or not - I will hunt every legal way possible if I choose too, and realize the full way that a rifle IS easier than a compound, baiting DOES make it easier, trailcams make it EASIER, tree stands make it EASIER. Dont mean I won't hunt all of those ways, but realizing that HOW you hunt is what makes the challenges and how it all changes is very very important to how you look at others.

It makes no sense to me Big D. Do what you gotta do though, whatever turns your crank. Each to there own weather we all agree or not.
each there own is correct, which is why we're still on this crossbow thing and how so many are STILL against them without any fact to back up WHY they're against them !

hunt however you want to Schultzybut I'll always argue on the difficulties of weapons vs weapons and hutning style vs hunting style etc etc because THAT is what seperates challenges in hunts and accolades and admirations of accomplishments etc

self bowyer shooting a doe with his own stuff > that a rifle hunting shooting a 150" buck on a big buck farm

Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve done my research, people freely admit it in the forums I browse and the articles read, etc. The X-bow companies are the ones making the big push. There is no organized group of hunting citizens fighting to get it done. I could all well and understand it if there were, but such is not the case. Yea a lot of people may like the idea and will use one if it passes, but not enough to fight to get it passed.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

So history repeats itself.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I’ve done my research, people freely admit it in the forums I browse and the articles read, etc. The X-bow companies are the ones making the big push. There is no organized group of hunting citizens fighting to get it done. I could all well and understand it if there were, but such is not the case. Yea a lot of people may like the idea and will use one if it passes, but not enough to fight to get it passed.
Friends,
As many of you know you are receiving this email because you have expressed, in one way or another, support for crossbow inclusion into Michigan's archery hunting season. I have just done a major updating of the list and there are now 146 names and email addresses such as yourself in this email address file.

To update you as to news of what is happening in the State Legislature HB5741-H2 passed the House of Representatives by the overwhelming vote of 94 Yeas.......14 Nays......2 Abstentions. The bill has moved onto the Michigan Senate where it has been assigned to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources & Environmental Affairs. Due to the summer recess and election season recess that will be upcoming in the fall and then a lameduck session after the November election the bill will probably not be taken up until next year. That does not mean that we need to rest on the laurels of the victory.......and that REALLY felt good....in the House of Representatives. I will be getting back to you soon about contacting the senators who are on the senate committee that will be considering this bill.

As an aside, perhaps I should tell you something about me. My name is (Blank it out). I live in Manistee County and am a retired teacher, married for 42 years with four grown children and ten grandchildren (my wife and I spoil them at every opportunity as the rules of grandparenthoodness allows us to do...LOL!). My interest in this crossbow issue stems from my position as a moderator in a site called Michigan-Sportsman.com. Over the years I read posts by MS members on the issue of crossbows being included (crossbow inclusion) into the State's archery season. Claims and counterclaims were made and I decided to do some research on my own in order to find out where the facts and truth rested. Simply put this search convinced me that the extravagant claims by those opposed to crossbow inclusion where based on emotion, opinions, and a serious amount of misinformation.

I am a former bowhunter who used a compound bow. Six years ago I had my left hip replaced and upon the advice of my surgeon..."If you climb up into trees you take the chance of falling and ruining a perfectly good hip replacement"....I decided to no longer get up into trees in order to bowhunt. For a bit I considered hunting from the ground until I realized that one of the greatest thrills I derived from bowhunting was sitting in a tree for a month and a half watching all that nature offers unfold around me and from the ground much of this would be missing.

I am not interested in hunting with a crossbow in the least although a bit of inborn stubbornness still leads me to think of taking one up just for spite which, in the long run, isn't a valid reason for doing things. Life is too short to step into the morass of spiteful actions.

If you receive this email and are not interested in the issue of crossbow inclusion please reply to it and tell me to remove you from this email file. It will be done. For those of you who are willing to work for crossbow inclusion you will be notified about what you can do. It will entail keeping in contact with your state senator for the most part.

The names on this list will not be shared and all emails will be sent out as blind copies/bcc.
Regards,
Just regular guy.

Yes I am one of the 146
Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Amen!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea a lot of people may like the idea and will use one if it passes, but not enough to fight to get it passed.
After serving more than 20 terms as an officer in two different local archery clubs, I can tell you flat out for fact that's the way it always is. 90% of the people that want something will let 10% do all the work, and then come out ot the woodwork to take advantage of the 10%'s hard work. When you expand that across the entire state, that percentage really drops. I doubt there is a single state bowhunting organization that can claim more than 1% of the bowhunters in their state as members. Very few of those are actually going to be active in working for the org. Most won't even take the time to make a phone call, write a letter or even send an e-mail on behalf of an issue that concerns them.

The same is undoubtedly true on the crossbow side.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I agree completely, but that is just one of the sad facts of life.

Like that Tostitos(I believe) commercial where they are talking about the construction workers.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

The X-bow companies are the ones making the big push. There is no organized group of hunting citizens fighting to get it done. I could all well and understand it if there were, but such is not the case. Yea a lot of people may like the idea and will use one if it passes, but not enough to fight to get it passed.
if they can't sell them they will not make money

compounds are of the same birth, didn't you know that? nobody wanted them, they were pushed/shoved/marketed and the rest is history

Quick Reply: Opinions on Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.