Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut? >

Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I will admit it would be hard to pass on a nice shooter buck, but it may actually make sense. However, I just don't see myself passing on a shooter buck.
My B. robb you typed before me i dident read this part
Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

like i said before i agree with this to no end but i still cant do it... i only get few chances at a buck.......only thing i can do to help this is to try an take a doe early in the year so im not tryin to get meat after shes been bred.... my season doesnt end til jan 31...after jan 1st huntin gets really hard... the deer are so hunkered down a mouse squeaks an u dont see a deer for days.... but i still like the orginal idea though!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many biologist suggest shooting doe's early before they are bred,better for the available food supply and should lead to a better defined and condensed rut depending upon how the buck to doe ratio's are in your area.As far as waiting until after the rut to kill a particular buck,I would say that you would have to have a lot of things very much in your favor for that to occur.Has the buck survived?Is his rack all busted up from fighting?Has he come back to his pre season bedding and feeding area's.Tough call,if your properties are so unpressured where you think it will be reasonably likely that you will see specific bucks in the late season,then there is decent logic to doing what you are describing.For most of us that would not be practical.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

what happens if you pass up that buck,he runs 10 yards off your hunting property and gets whacked by another hunter? then you wouldnt get that buck or any of his offspring
Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take em when you can!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

In PA you have to take the first "good" shot that you have at any decent buck.

When you take into account the fact that someone else could shoot him, he could gethit by a car, chasing does miles away, poachers, yotes, the general pressures from hunting season, poachers, etc. etc.--it's just not practical.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I may be way off base, but let me lay out my logic.
This thinking is not off base at all, and is quite logical. However, it is a bit unrealistic if you want to kill a buck with any degree of regularity, at least on public land. One thing that I've heard reguarding this thread is the "big boys" breed first. This isn't true. The truely "big bucks"do their breeding towards the end of the rut. It's the1 1/2-3 1/2 year olds that do the bulk of thebreeding during the main rut. I do agree, if you want to kill a doe, it should be in the early season before they come into estrus. JMHO
Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]