Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut? >

Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

I may be way off base, but let me lay out my logic. If I allow a buck to live during the rut he could hypothetically impregnate a doe and she could carry his future offspring.

Obviously, to make this logic work I would have to not kill any doe after the rut. This may sound a bit looney, but I have never heard anyone mention it. I know the doe wouldn't always produce a buck, but it could lead to a 50/50 chance, right? Plus, if the buck gets "busy"with more than one doe my odds get even better.

Anyways, after the rut is over I could still nail the buck and feel confident I will be doing the same thing to his son in a few years. And yes, I have hada fewbeers tonight.

If this is just sounds moronic feel free to let me know.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

Robb---by the time you "nail" him during the rut, he would have already nailed a few does...DO not wait, KILL.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol ive said it 1000 times but we must be the only 2 to think alike.. makes no sense to me here in maryland we hunt bucks before rut then late season if we havent taged one guess what were huntin for meat now. so now we shoot a doe that possiably has lil ones in them.... i know it would be really hard but if possiable to doe hunt only til december then bucks only after that... im sure we'll get an ear full now for thinkin this way...lol
Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I won't say "moronic".......but I'll say it sounds like one is awfully sure of his abilities to kill bucks.....OR...he's living a dream world.

Me......I'll take a buck that tickles my fancy at the FIRST chance.

If you're "good enough" to wait until he breeds a few does........then have atit. You'll be the best deer hunter I ever met.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I won't say "moronic".......but I'll say it sounds like one is awfully sure of his abilities to kill bucks.....OR...he's living a dream world.

Me......I'll take a buck that tickles my fancy at the FIRST chance.

If you're "good enough" to wait until he breeds a few does........then have atit. You'll be the best deer hunter I ever met.
Do I sense a backhanded compliment?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

lol ive said it 1000 times but we must be the only 2 to think alike.. makes no sense to me here in maryland we hunt bucks before rut then late season if we havent taged one guess what were huntin for meat now. so now we shoot a doe that possiably has lil ones in them.... i know it would be really hard but if possiable to doe hunt only til december then bucks only after that... im sure we'll get an ear full now for thinkin this way...lol
At least I won't go down in flames alone.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Nothing backhanded about it, robby. The only thing that would make the scenario depicted any more improbable is for the hunter to introduce the buck in question to the most genetically superior does in the herd.....to get the most of his insemenation "bang forbuck" (pun intended).

Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Nothing backhanded about it, robby. The only thing that would make the scenario depicted any more improbable is for the hunter to introduce the buck in question to the most genetically superior does in the herd.....to get the most of his insemenation "bang forbuck" (pun intended).

LOL!!! You do have to admit it does make logical sense though. In my state we can now take a buck with a bow as late as January 15th. So,I am fairly confident in my ability to take a nice buck this year given we getanother two weeks.[8D]

I will admit it would be hard to pass on a nice shooter buck, but it may actually make sense. However, I just don't see myself passing on a shooter buck.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 PM

its just me but IMO theres3 things wrong with that thought
1) Bucks will travel a long distance during the rut fora chance atthat first doe to go in to esstress and the chances thatthat buck will breed with does in your area is slim unless you saw him during the rut in your area then its diffrent
2) If thatbuck is in your area now, then im sure hes allready bread with the does in your area last season and spread hisgenes and prob eventhe year before
3) Im sure if your average rack size isent that big and this buck is bigger than normal standing in bow rang any hunter would take it and not think twice about whatyou just said
so if i saw this monster buck during the season and i could get a good ethical shot athimi wouldtakeit...IMO
Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Just keep in mind that the"big boys" get first dibs on those hot does, so I wouldn't wait too awful long.And if it's the reproduction of qualityhorns you're interested in, I've heard they get that part of their genetics from their momma's side of the family. I do understand what you're saying, butlike Jeff, I'm not going to be doing any waiting.

Quick Reply: Should I wait to kill bucks after the rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.