Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I finally did  it >

I finally did it

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I finally did it

Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I finally did it

Well today I finally did it. My previous max range was 20yds and has been for yrs b/c thats as far as I practice. Today I got adventurous! I was out scouting with some friends and we all brought our bows...... I brought my cabela's block target and my buddy brought his 3D deer. I moved back to 30yds and had tennis ball size goups...... then back to 40yds and low and behold a softball size group. THEN I went back to 50yds and just didn't feel comfortable...... groups ran 6" or so but it felt like I was lobbing arrows in. I feel confident in my bow and my shooting ability...... its a great feeling.
I am currently shooting a Bowtech Tomkat at 60lbs with a 420gr arrow(total arrow wgt) with slick tricks. Would my 50 yd shooting improve if I switched to a 70lb bow? I like my arrow weight for hunting so I want to stick to it.[:-]I understand alot would change with shooting a higher draw weight but a little help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance
Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I finally did it

Would my 50 yd shooting improve if I switched to a 70lb bow?
Depends on how comfortable you are shooting 70#'s really. Sure, you'll be a little faster, and you'l have a little more power/energy, but if you can't hold it all steadya, then you'd be just as well served dropping dwn to 50#.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally I would do all of my prcatice at 25 yrds, due to the fact my backyard range was 25 yrds, so many hours was spent at 25yrds, but about 3 years ago we moved, and that backyard range increased to 45 yrds...at first practicing at 45 was a little strange for me, since most of my hunting shots on hogs and bears was under 25 or 30yrds, but this is what I end up with today consistently with all 3 of my bows, in the pic this is done with my Bear Instinct (today). The old saying "practice makes perfect" or better in my case holds true...and keep in mind I accomplished this alot faster when I droped my bow weight, the Instinct used to top out at about 73#, now I have it down to 65#, the other two bows I have at 60# now with the same results.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to practice at farther ranges, I feel it amplifies any problemsI may be havingin my form. I like the fact that ifI practice 30-50yds it makes theshots inside of 30ydsbetter...Kinda goes along with the aim small miss small policy!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am able to practice out to 80 yards at home.

I feel practicing at long ranges is a definite advantage regardless of where you set your maximum range for Hunting.

Dan
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

x2

the futher out you can practice and fell good out it, the better you will be at 20-40 yards.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sandilands
Would my 50 yd shooting improve if I switched to a 70lb bow?
NO it wouldn't, you'd only get tired and even more unsteady.... faster.

Better shooting at longer ranges only comes with more practice and refingin form and follw through. more poundage isn't the answer.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:52 PM

x3 I shoot 40 -50 yds regular which makes my 10 -30yds a no brainer. I feel confident in the deer stand every time.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

[align=left]if i ever practice from long distances it is usually from 40-45 yards i never like to but i do sometimes do it just in case a time ever comes along...
[/align][align=left] [/align]