Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New camo arrived today >

New camo arrived today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New camo arrived today

Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 AM

Default RE: New camo arrived today

Wow, I can't imagine hunting in 100 degree weather. Try it in Iraq,120's sometimes. Cotton works, polyester works, and believe it or not wool works. Yes wool. Wool tends totrap moisture to the body in hot weather to help cool you down and keep you from sweating excessively. Polys tend to breathe quicker and dry(dehydration), but when the sun drops the wool still keeps you warm. I am not talking a 1 inch thick peice, I am talking a light layer. High tech fabrics have there advantages but they are also a fire hazard. Did you know if your polys go up in flames they will melt to your skin. This is a reasonI don't wear them.

You could always go to a fabric store and buy your own cloth,take apart a shirt or pair of pants and reverse engineer a product. Weare all lazy now a days.[:-] If my wife just heard me say that she'd be like Yeah,ah huh![&:]This may be a bit off the subject, but when I ride across the states in the middle of august every year, I wear a light layer of wool. I put my leather jacket on and wear a pair of pants and I actually feel cooler. Nuts right. The first time I went through kansas I thought I was in the devil's kitchen. The second time it was just as hot but I wore the light wool t-shirt and under pants of the long variety. I felt cooler. And let me just say, a 100 degrees is a hundred degrees, but when you feel a little cooler and sweat a little less, you tend to feel less fatigued.

I guess what I am saying is some of us hunt in a variety of climates and sometimes we have a hard time finding the right camo for the job. I think if we were a little less lazy and alot more willing to figure things out, we wouldn't have such a cruddy time finding the answers.

I forget who said it but they mentioned they wished Ultimate Camo came insulated. Buy the shirt, turn it inside out and sew a liner in it. I have done something similar to this, before UC of course. Of course mine was wool, but it worked. Yeah, I know, a man handy with a thread and needle. You can also use a seem ripper to take the shirt apart and then re-sew the fleece, wool, thermal hoodie into the shirt. Make sure you order the next size up. You'd be surprised wat you can find in fabric stores. They have lots of camo stuff. I didn't realize this until I went in one day with the wife (whoops I said the four letter word again).

I hope this gives you guys some ideas. And just remember, sowing is manly!

Justin

Old 07-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Bartender

Default RE: New camo arrived today

U.C. here and love how light weight it is especially for the early season.
Also in my neck of the woods blending in very well is also the key.