Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Speed is all you need! (?)

I havent bothered to figure the amount of momentum you are getting. Quite bluntly I probably wont either.

As per this ducking at gravity, I still disagree. Even after looking at Art' s info which would more closely relate to whats happening, a deer is using muscles to move. As it would be no different if you were on all fours. Hence there is more happening then just gravity. They' d have to be standing, have there legs whipped out from underneath for it to only be gravity.

as per your test, did a human shoot that arrow?

Old 03-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is a very Interesting and educational thread
Old 03-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Krisken, You are not alone on this subject. I love speed bows and wont have the slow ones anymore. I hate the arguement of you will only miss faster with a speed bow. [:@] Well I will say you only miss slower with a slow one. I shoot much much better with a faster bow than with a slower bow. I had or still have but will never shoot again a browning mirage sl hunter because it is too slow and I can' t stand it. I now have upgraded to a faster much faster bow the Darton maverick. I have a 32 inch draw and my arrows ( well not as fast as yours) but is moving along pretty good. I shoot an arrow that is 400 grains at just over 300fps. Smoking to me!!!! I could and did shoot a 444 gr arrow with this bow at 278fps but changed to the lighter for a faster setup. I am more accurate with it and have much more confidence with this setup lighter and faster promotes confidence TO ME GUYS. I have no problem shooting and hunting out to 45+ yards for deer NO PROBLEMS at all. I have practice tons at this range and I consider it a duck shot.

Now with regards to missing or hitting its the guy behind the bow not the bow or the speed a bow is capable so that is not a valid arguement. So one missing or hitting with a certain bow lets just say we can hit with the preverable bow be it a slow one or a fast one. I will take a faster setup any day of the week and twice on sunday. THis is me my opinion only. I feel better with it and this is what gives me confidence. And isn' t that the most important thing?

I don' t mean taking an arrow that is potentially dangerous to the bow itself and shoot it but a relative weight arrow for the bow like 5.5 - 6 lbs is great. I shoot my bow with a 29.5 inch arrow Pse carbon force compitition Pro arrows with a 100 gain head and 5 inch feathers and a nock insert and nock. total arrow weight is really 398. something so close enough to say 400 gr.

Well I have No problem slaying deer at anyrange like the one I took last year at 35 yards. I used a mechanical too shockwaves 100 and blew right through and killed the dirt on the other side.

Well kind of a tangent but I will take speed over slow any day of the week and damn proud of it.

Brian

Old 03-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Spike

It is a fact that a higher brace height will make a bow more forgiving. The reason is because the arrow comes off the string quicker and any form impurity after that point is minimized. Speed bows get their speed from having short brace heights, because the longer the arrow is on the string, the more energy is tranferred to the arrow. During that time any torque, push, drop, or pull (to name a few) that a shooter may do affects the arrow flight. I am not saying that nobody can accuratly shoot a speed bow with a short brace height, because most experienced shooters can. However, as you shoot, you tire with any bow. As you tire your form breaks down and sometimes you don' t even know it. For example, It is why you start shooting right and you can' t figure out why. When you tire and your form fails in one area or another a longer brace height bow makes it matter less. Speed bows work fine for 3-d shooting because you are only shooting 30 or 40 arrows one at each target and you have a ten or fifteen minute break between shots. however, on a field round you shoot four consecutive shots at each target with a total of 112 shots in a round. Most shooters (not all) will experience a form of tiring in a field round. It really depends on the type of shooting you will be doing.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 02:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Krisken, I said I am here with ya. I guess you missed my post. I am in full support of ya. Go speed, I' ll take ya anyday.

Well to the arguement of shorter brace height I mentioned that assumeing We can shoot all bows equally well. Because I shoot my shorter brace height better than my longer one. But thats me. So no arguement of one is more accurate than another please its the nut behind the bow that counts. If one can' t shoot it then fine others can with no problems at all. So if we are equally effective with either a fast one or a slow one what I want is a fast one. No slow ones need apply.

Brian

Krisken I with ya I with ya!!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A spooked buck looking directly at the hunter... What do I think about a shot like that on a video? Frankly, that kind of crap is why I don' t watch hunting videos very much. Always some clown bending ethics (assuming they have any) to put an animal on the ground.

In this case, it' s a shot I wouldn' t even attempt because of the absolute certainty the buck would jump the string. Of course, I' M NOT GETTING PAID TO PUT KILL SHOTS ON VIDEO, nor am I in a survival situation where I must kill the animal in order to live. So, I can exercise a good bit of reason in what shot opportunities I take.

This deer in question was a guaranteed string jumper. What the ' hunter' did was pick that low aim point, sucked up his BVD' s in a major pucker, and pulled the trigger, just hoping for the best. He got lucky and the deer jumped into the arrow. Yep. That' s just what everybody needs to be doing, isn' t it. [:@]

So far, looking at all your points in favor of speed, one would get the idea that all you' ve basically said is you want to shoot at long range and at deer looking directly at you, and speed will give you a chance. I don' t think you' ll get enough speed to make it work. You need a gun.

How about just moving in closer and taking shots at relaxed animals? You know, actually BOWHUNTING.

Old 03-06-2003, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kristen, I' d really have to agree with Arthur on that. You have to take an aweful lot of hunting videos and programs for what they are worth. I have seen an aweful lot of shots taken in those shows and videos that I personally would not have taken. I have even seen one shot at a deer walking toward a stand at about 5 yards that a guy took that he uses as an intro to his show. I cringe when I see it. I would defineteley not recommend shooting at a fully alerted deer at 32 yards. You are really asking for trouble no matter what setup you use.

Kristen, was this a shot that you would support taking?
Old 03-06-2003, 07:54 AM

Hi ya' ll I am new to the forum but not to bow hunting
I have been bow hunting for drawing on 30 years and have taken 40 some odd witetails with a bow

I myself can see all the reasons why alot of people want speed but in my opinion the super lite stuff should be left on the 3D coarses,and turkey, and antilope hunting

I know that with my experiance most deer that I have taken have come within 15yards or less so speed for hunting is something that I cannot justify to throw out pure devisating energy and raw power

We as hunters owe it to the Sport , game we hunt, and other Sportsmen to be as ehtical as we can

40-50 yard shots and over? NOT ME in hunting situations there are far to many veriables to deal with! your chances of wounding an animal starts to increase with every extra yard

Yes you may be a great shot on target but in a hunting situation there are to many things that can go wrong

Most important in bow hunting is to Have sharp broadheads, take high percentage shots, know your limitations, and have patiance

Just my 2 cents worth

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.