Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you REGRET most over the years of hunting >

What do you REGRET most over the years of hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you REGRET most over the years of hunting

Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do you REGRET most over the years of hunting

Saving money for my own piece of hunting land.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Spike

I regret not starting untill three years ago.My stepson got me in to it and now im hooked on hunting.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 PM

wish i had started hunting @ an earlier age, & getting my kids involved when they were young.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's weird that a lot of you guys wish you'd have started taking bowhunting more seriously at a younger age.

I kinda feel like I let a lot of my youth pass me by because I'd have rather been sitting in the treestand than doing anything else. Hell, I almost blew my entire college education because I'd have rather been camped out ina treestandsomewhere. I lost friends, girlfriends, grades took a hit, baseball schollie, etc... All because of my lifelong obsession with hunting rode in the front seat.It's materially affected almost ever facet of my lifestyle.

There aredefinitely days when I wonder what life would've been like if I'd have listened to my dad and NEVER picked up a gun or a bow. He warned me.

Obviously everything worked itself out - but I have no doubt that I'd be in a different place right now. . . Things would've definitely been different . . . I guess it's human nature to always wonder about the element of the unknown.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

It's weird that a lot of you guys wish you'd have started taking bowhunting more seriously at a younger age.

I kinda feel like I let a lot of my youth pass me by because I'd have rather been sitting in the treestand than doing anything else. Hell, I almost blew my entire college education because I'd have rather been camped out ina treestandsomewhere. I lost friends, girlfriends, grades took a hit, baseball schollie, etc... All because of my lifelong obsession with hunting rode in the front seat.It's materially affected almost ever fact of my lifestyle.

There aredefinitely days when I wonder what life would've been like if I'd have listened to my dad and NEVER picked up a gun or a bow. He warned me.

Obviously everything worked itself out - but I have no doubt that I'd be in a different place right now. . . Things would've definitely been different . . . I guess it's human nature to always wonder about the element of the unknown.
I agree with all of this, Fran. I'm glad I never touched a bow until I was 40yrs old. My life may have turned out quite differently if I had.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’m along the lines with Fran. I skipped out on a LOT of things growing up because I wanted to be in the woods & streams all the time. From probably mid July on, I’d bug the crap out of my Dad to go looking for deer probably 4 of 5 weekday nights, if not every night as the season neared. And now that I think about it, I’m not even sure I was old enough to hunt much of that time. I was one of the fastest kids in my high school, but I didn’t dare play football cause it was during the fall. I didn’t play much baseball cause it took away fishing time. But I did manage to run track. College weekends in the fall were spent in a tree instead of tired and hung over from a night of partying.
I chose to apply for jobs that would let me have time to hunt. I ended a TON of social outings early, knowing I had to get up for hunting/fishing. Had I not been so into it, my life would surely be different, but honestly I don’t really wonder about it at all.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

TG78,

I don't regret anything and if I had to do it all over I'd probably end up doing the same things (hunting wise). I'm just humbled and in awe every time I get to go hunt. Sure there are hunts I'd have liked to go on that maybe I could have had I pressed the issue but then I would have missed something at home, with my family and no hunting is worth that. I love to hunt and go at it with as much enthusiasm and earnest as anyone but I know it's place in my life and it will always be secondary to my family and friends.

No, I don't regret anything I'm just happy to get out and hunt when I can. There will be a time and a place for everything. If that happens to include a hunting trip or two...or threedown the road, you can be I'll be on it. If not, I'm ok with that too.
John, we are definitely cut from the same rock .... I couldn't have said it better
Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've only got two regrets and they're about equal. I would like to have hunted more often and I wish the hundred or so I helped get started hunting was about a thousand or so.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I regret not shooting 5" lower on the 15 point N/T buck I wounded and never did find a long time ago. I did find out that a shotgun hunter in gun season walked up on the 15point monster and ended its suffering from my choke of a shot. That Buck stillkeeps me up nites[]

Hatchet Jack
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM

The only thing that I kinda regret is some bad ill-advised shots. All deer we're recovered, and I'm learning from them so not a totally regret. Sometimes wish I woulda hunted more in High School because I haven't had that amount of time since.

Quick Reply: What do you REGRET most over the years of hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.