Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup? >

Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

One thing I never practice is getting a second arrow out of my quiver quick enough for a second shot.

I just figure the odds of a deer sticking around for a second shot are pretty slim.

Has anybody ever missed on the first arrow, nocked another arrow, and killed one on the second shot?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

The very first bowhunt I ever went on....

I knew little of nothing about proper shooting technique... I'd been shooting for about a month. I was up in a tree, on a piece of land in SC absolutely ate up with deer. The caretaker told me exactly where to go... and I went. As I said... this was the first time I had EVER been BOWHUNTING.... period!

So I don't expect to see anything... let alone shoot anything... but here comes these two does. We were invited in on this place on the premise that we would shoot only does and feral hogs...and it was archery only... hey, better than nothing you know! Can't gripe about a free hunt!

Anyhow, so this doe comes slipping in and stops at like 6 yards from my tree. I draw back and quite naturally drop my arm like a young dumb fool and send a XX75 right over this doe's back. She flinched... almost like a cringe... not know what the hell just happened... but she didn't run off. So I grabbed another arrow out of my homemade gatorade bottle quiver...

She was sniffing the nock end of my arrow... sticking neatly up from the pine needles when I drew back and aimed lower... spined her right dead on the spot.... and I'd been at the bowhunting game for all of 90 minutes and was quite throughly hooked.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

no
Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I have, one of the first nice bucks I took came by at 30 yards in the heat of the rut. I missjudged the distance badly and knicked him in the brisket, opening a 2" gash. He ran 10 yards parallel to me and stopped - looked back at the spot, probably thinking a bug bit him or something. I knocked another arrow, drew, and #2 went dead center.

My brother had a similar occurance with his very first nice buck as well...10 years ago.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Haha, Several times...
Old 06-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did several years ago in a rain storm...doe leaked out into a small clearing at 35 yards. I missed right below and the arrow stuck into a laydown. The rain must have reduced her stress. She trotted off a few yards and looked around. I knocked another arrow and nailed her at about 30 yards.

Swamp Collie----"So I grabbed another arrow out of my homemade gatorade bottle quiver... "

hahahahahaha!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Second shot???/ What's that??? You mean a second deer... right???? I haven't missed all that many, and the ones I have have left the state. I have shot the same deer more than once.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Although it wasn't my first hunt, I did kill my first deer with a second shot.

I was 14 and it was my second year bowhunting. I was hunting the base of a rather large mountain, waiting for deer to move down into the cornfields to feed at night. Just before dark a yearling came through and gave me a perfect broadside shot at about 18 yards. I was a total wreck, shaking like a leaf. I think I used my 30 yard pin and sent one right over it's back. It ran about 10 yards to my right and I was able to stop it right away with a whistle. It stood there eyeballing me while I pulled another arrow out of my quiver and drew back on it again. To make matters worse, when I drew back the second time, the string hit my hat and nocked it off. It fell out of the treestand and all the way to the ground with the deer still trying to decide what to do. Somehow I steadied myself enough to make a perfect gut shot at about 20 yards and it ran off. We found the little button buck the next morning.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes.Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.A few years ago I had a 9 pointer dead to rights at about 18 yards.I had a little to much finger on my release before I was holding steady on the spot on the buck I was aiming at.A surprise release is most often a good thing but it wasn't in this instance.I was dumbfounded and angry at myself.I didn't realize it at the time but I actually sliced his brisket pretty good.He bounded off,eventually ending up around 70 yards away.He didn't know what had happened.In desperation I grabbed my grunt tube and started grunting to him.When he started steadily coming my way I couldn't believe it.When he got to about 33 yards and would come no further without confirming what he was hearing I put an arrow through his lungs.An incredible range of emotions for one mornings hunt!

Quick Reply: Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.