Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup? >

Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Yep

The longest kill shot I've ever taken on a big ol nanny doe. She came in and I thought 30 yds. Took the shot, hit low and she ran up the hill. I could tell she wasn't all that spooked so I fawn bleated with my mouth and she turned around and came right back and stood in the same tracks she was in when I missed the first shot. I settled my 30 pin high and let the arrow fly. She didn't even make it out of sight before she piled up.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of you who have never gotten a second shot at a buck they've missed ever hear of deer calls?[8D] That being said, if ya'll remember the story of my 04 contest buck, I missed him not once but twice and then double lunged him on the 3rd shot all credited to deer vocalizations. I missed him at 16 yards and when he stopped at 25 I missed him again. Must have been too close because after some calling series I got him to come right back out and arrowed him at 41 yards. I guess he was too close the first two times.

I've also put two arrows in my 06 contest buck. Knocked him over on the first shot and before he got his feet under him, I sent a second arrow into just in case. Ended up not necessary as the first arrow entered his lungs but took out the far shoulder toppling him.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO
Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I took a shot a t a doe one year and missed quickly followed up with a second arrow and downed her no mre than 10 yards of where i shot her
Old 06-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

Yes. Two different times. My experience is many deer hear the sound but don't know what happened and alot of them hang around. The trick is to get another arrow and shoot before they see you. I've shot two does this way.

I've never had a buck hang around after the 1st shot.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Bartender

Nope
Old 06-26-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes.

One hunt my confidence was pretty low after a rough week. About 1/2 before end of the hunt a doe came walking down from behind me at 10 yards. I drew, shot and missed. Doe jumped and ended up standing looking around 25 yards from the tree. No clue what had happened. Took out another arrow and got her with a perfect double lung shot, tracking job was 30 yards.

First deer I ever shot I almost shot twice. After the shot she did a big back leg kick, spun and came down in the same spot. Heck I thought I missed. While I got another arrow nocked (15 yards from deer). She caught me drawing and ran off. 15 minutes later I got down to check and found the arrow and lots of blood
Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Yes. Opening morning of 06 had two does come in to about 15 yards behind me. When I turned they ran to about 20 yards. Missed high on the first shot and she trotted off to about 30 yards, stopped and turned broadside. Nocked another, drew and released. Where she was already on high alert, she jumped and did a 180 spin, arrow would have hit her in the lungs. Seen her walk off with my arrow sticking half way out ofher ham. Heart sunk big time. Got down about a half hour later and she only went about 50 yards. During that half hour the second doe presented me with numerous shot opportunities.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Truth[:@]
Yep I am guilty, Last year I missed this buck on the 1st shot, To tell the truth I rushed the shot and didnt even see if I missed high or low?????????
Ya I suck when I let my nerves get the best of me.
I was able to call him back in and he stood broadside at 30 yards and I took my time on this one and put an arrow right threw his heart on the 2nd shot.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately....My "clean" misses have been few. I can recall only one. (EDIT* - TWO. I hit a vine witha shot....and eneded up taking that deer 5 weeks later) I've hit deer that I didn't recover (I have one "unknown" - don't know if that deer survived, or not). I've also, like David, shot the same deer more than once.....on more than one occasion. I've actually emptied my 4 arrow quiver on a single deer, twice (hitting each deer 3 times out of 4 shots).

Not particularly proud of that last part....but it happened.....and each deer was dead within seconds.

Quick Reply: Ever missed on the first shot, and connected on the followup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.