Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Fallacies. >

Bowhunting Fallacies.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Fallacies.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Fallacies.

"If you get busted by a buck in a paticular stand you might as well pack up and move." I missed a nice buck one evening and went back to the exact same stand the next morning and killed him. I went back totally expecting to see and possibly get another shot at him. Now thats deer gospel from the original author.
That's great stuff, Chris. I almost did the same thing, this past year. I saw him on Friday....too dark to shoot. I saw him on Saturday and got busted. I saw him on Tuesday....30 yds from there...and killed him.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

It could take 8 years to get a bear rug made.
Oh wait, that one is true.[8D]
Another GOOD ONE Magic!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tsoc

But how do you effectively hunt these area's with any degree of confidence,and with any reasonable liklihhood of opportunity.I don't doubt that it happens,I just don't know that it would with any degree of consistency that would justify my doing it.Especially so bowhunting out of a tree stand.
If you know a deer is using a small spot especially if its more open the only way may be to get in there b/4 he returns in the morn. Or figure out where he enters and leaves and try to cut him off. Some setups require ground blind setups
Old 06-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about these.....
Deer don't movewhile it is raining.
A deer can hear so well it is impossible to stalk/still huntwithin bow range.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite pile of BS is hearing that you have to have the blades of a fixed blade head aligned with fletchings in order to have good arrow flight.

Another favorite is that mechanicals fly and hit in exactly the same spot as field points (and they will come extremely close off a perfectly tuned bow... but considering the person this statement usually comes from and the POS jury rigged bow they are using.... its pure fallacy).

That a bow will shoot in exactly the same spot at 20 and 30 yards because its a Mathews (or insert Hoyt, Bowtech, HCA, Alpine etc etc) and its just that fast. (the real reason is the shooter cannot shoot good enough to tell the difference.)

When it comes to hunting:

That you can RUIN a hunting spot by peeing on the ground. (deer aren't afraid of human urine at all... infact it makes them curious... if you believe in that Vanilla Curiosity scent stuff.... is it really any big suprise).

In my part of the world, where running dogs and using buckshot rule supreme starting a week before Thanksgiving... I often hear: "BUT THE STILL HUNTERS ARE KILLIN ALL DA BIG DEUUUHHHRR!" Which of course is not even close to true. Those same dog drivers are usually the ones you'll see just around lunch time on your property with a leash in their hands whooping and hollering and claiming they are looking for their dogs (which is 100% legal in VA to go on to anothers land... posted or not.... to retreive your dogs as long as you are not armed and on foot). However, of course, 8 of their buddies will have guns and be standing on the property line as he "looks for his dogs" (fallacy of course is that its an illegal man drive covered by a legal loophole).

Another fallacy... that anyone, anywhere can kill a big buck by rattling and grunting.... which is simply not true... I've never had a buck respond to either. But bleats work pretty dang good. Of course, it depends exactly where in the country you are, because there are places where it works very well so I'm told and so I see on TV.

Finally... if you wear ScentBlocker... you can forget the wind and just hunt.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can spoon a deer while he's sleeping[&:]
Don't ask[:@]

Once a spike always a spike

Don't shoot a doe, that's next years buck[8D]

I shot a yearly[&:]No you shot a fawn moron, a yearly is at least a year old(this one drives me nuts)

Deer don't move in the rain[&:]

Deer won't cross water, it's like a natural fence[&:]

There are only big bucks in the Midwest

Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks magic.If I knew a buck was consistently using an area I would do exactly as you have said.The key for me would be prior knowledge of the animal using the area.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

there is a such thing as scent free if you wear all the suits and take all the precautions the pros do[:'(]- now thats some pure BS, and i hear it all the time
Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

you and i have a tough time on this site lol
ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

a bowtech and rage is the only way to go
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Deer are colorblind"

Deer have dichromatic vision meaning they can see all hues of blues and yellows but are red, green colorblind.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Fallacies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.