HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting Fallacies. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/250528-bowhunting-fallacies.html)

tsoc 06-25-2008 04:40 PM

Bowhunting Fallacies.

Lets have some input on what you believe to be falsehoods about Bowhunting or hunting in general.Things that are commonly mentioned or discussed that are not true or at least they havn't been for you.
I'll start 1) Hunt Big Bucks in the places that are so obvious that every one over looks them.First of all I have never been able to get myself to completely buy in to this belief so I don't know that I have tried to do that.To me it feels foolish.Yeah I will be within sight of the barn in this little quarter acre thicket,I just can't get myself to do it.
Every time I read an article on this topic I immediately dismiss the writer as a BS artist.Unless a big buck can tunnel like a gopher I just don't see it happenning.

buckeye 06-25-2008 04:47 PM

RE: Bowhunting Fallacies.

Mature bucks only travel with their nose into the wind :eek:

gzg38b 06-25-2008 04:48 PM

"Deer don't move on windy days."

I personally have seen and killed more bucks on windy days than still days. When the wind is blowing hard, I'm in the woods.

dukemichaels 06-25-2008 05:17 PM

Mature bucks only travel with their nose into the wind
Good one Buckeye.

Often I read many articles I totally and completely agree are pure garbage. It's like someone wrote a book 30 years ago with the same tactics everyone knows.. and all the outdoor writers of today simply recycle it.. choosing their own words. I doubt many even believe the tactic works and it comes out in their writing.

On the better writers.. it's not that the tactics don't work.. it's that they leave so much out that ticks me off. They forget about their target audience.. they forget and leave out the most detailed portion of the entire tactic. I know we've all read those articles where it just seems like somethings missing.

Most outdoor writers know very little of the true behavior of deer.. they simply agree and recycle everything else ever written before them. Deer have a forehead gland is my favorite. For those who wish to know.. deer do not have a forehead gland.. they have sweat glands in the forehead which give off the odor only during certain times of year... but you'll never read that one. Because its easier to understand and write deer have a forehead gland. Talk to your taxidermist he'll back me up.

Their are so many variables in hunting and they start and end not at each state or county line.. but rather each property line. The greatest piece of info. you'll ever read will be a piece.. or a tactic that you can actually use on your property. So you must learn to brush the garbage away.. or keep it for another day. (can't believe i just rhymed.. what a dork).

Steven McBee 06-25-2008 05:21 PM

bowhunting is inhumane and wrong

this fits the criteria because it is a falsehood on bowhunting and is commonly discussed among us and peta

MOTOWNHONKEY 06-25-2008 05:26 PM

"If you get busted by a buck in a paticular stand you might as well pack up and move." I missed a nice buck one evening and went back to the exact same stand the next morning and killed him. I went back totally expecting to see and possibly get another shot at him. Now thats deer gospel from the original author.

JoeRE 06-25-2008 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

100% agree.

The only time I find the statement partially true is from forced movement. Locally, if deer are used to drives on a particular property you cannot move them with the wind at their backs if your life depended on it...but that is not bowhunting, generally.

I would add...the idea that there is a clear 'upwind' and 'downwind' in every senario. I hunt broken ground and the wind swirls like you wouldn't believe. If a deer goes 'downwind' and doesnt smell you...it probably wasnt 'downwind'

That is, if you are not wearing scentblocker underpants.

mez 06-25-2008 05:39 PM

Deer will never come in or past you from downwind if you are not wearing some sort of Scent-Lok type clothing.

If you take every scent precaution known to man you will never get busted if a deer is upwind of you.

magicman54494 06-25-2008 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I always laughted at that one. If this were true - with our predominantly west wind - all my deer would end up on the west coast. Hey shed33 don't be shooting any of my deer!lol

magicman54494 06-25-2008 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Lets have some input on what you believe to be falsehoods about Bowhunting or hunting in general.Things that are commonly mentioned or discussed that are not true or at least they havn't been for you.
I'll start 1) Hunt Big Bucks in the places that are so obvious that every one over looks them.First of all I have never been able to get myself to completely buy in to this belief so I don't know that I have tried to do that.To me it feels foolish.Yeah I will be within sight of the barn in this little quarter acre thicket,I just can't get myself to do it.
Every time I read an article on this topic I immediately dismiss the writer as a BS artist.Unless a big buck can tunnel like a gopher I just don't see it happenning.

One of the biggest bucks I have ever seen shot in my area was shot by my buddy in a little patch of hay that wasn't cut because the ground was too wet. Another nice 10 pointer lived in a 1 acre woods right behind a barn. He was killed by a guy on his way back to that little woods.