HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/250473-off-subject-please-wear-helmets-you-motorcycle-riders.html)

TG78 06-25-2008 10:09 AM

Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS

I know it is the time of year, and with the gas prices I see more and more motorcycle riders (yes you scooter people too) every day, and sadly more and more riders not wearing their helmets. My sister age 25 was in a serious wreck about three weeks ago not wearing a helmet and was in a coma for two weeks, started to wake and then had to go in for brain surgery two days ago. Although she has done well considering she has a long road to recovery and we go everyday not knowing if we will get back the girl we once knew. I am not looking for sympathy here but recognition of the fact that accidents do happen and on motorcycles if you ride enough it is not if you will go down but when and how bad. If you ride one or have a loved one please wear a d@# helmet they really are not that uncool, trust me they look better then the scars of my sister with 3 different tubes coming out and a 2x2 hole where her skull was removed. If I can motivate one person to wear a helmet then this thread was worth it.

Greg / MO 06-25-2008 10:48 AM

RE: Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS

Good thread, and as a moderator given the fact that this forum has always been more of a "family" than any other place on the net, I think it should stay at least for a few days...

I've ridden my whole life, and in fact just bought a brand-new bike last week. I've never understood not wearing a helmet, no matter what the excuse.

Rory/MO 06-25-2008 10:52 AM

to be honest i hate motorcylces, but i do think that it should be a law, everywhere to wear a helmet. and if you dont wear one its pretty idiotic. your sister is in my prayers!

wvubowhunter 06-25-2008 10:55 AM

Agreed, and motorists need to take the extra few seconds to look out for them. Prayers send for you and family.

Edcyclopedia 06-25-2008 11:03 AM

God Bless TG my thoughts are with you and your family...

Steven McBee 06-25-2008 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

to be honest i hate motorcylces, but i do think that it should be a law, everywhere to wear a helmet. and if you dont wear one its pretty idiotic. your sister is in my prayers!
x2. my dad has one and i hate riding it, bugs fly in your facew the whole time

CCPaHunter 06-25-2008 11:36 AM

I've been ridingmy whole life. I love it.My two kids [ to the left ] fight over who gets to ride with me. I usuallywear my helmet. I don't believe it should be the lawthough. Ken

Buellhunter 06-25-2008 11:44 AM

Sorry about your sister, I hope she recovers quickly.

I have been riding for 35 years and have about 300-400,000 miles under my belt.
I have crashed twice, one on the road, one on the race track. Both times were with a helmet and the track one, of course, full race suit.
I'm not anti-helmet, I am anti helmet LAW.
I CHOOSE when I wear a helmet or not. I am an adult and am more than able to make my own choices, good or bad.
Just glad that I live in a state that agrees with me.

Be careful when wishing away the freedoms of others, they may come after yours next!

mobow 06-25-2008 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I am so sick of politics trying to save me from myself. Law? Why? If so and so wants to run around and risk having their head crushed because they didn't want to wear a helmet, isn't that their right?? Same w/ the seatbelt law. Am I against seat belts? Nope. They've saved more lives than a difibulator. But, some jackass sitting behind a mahogony desk somewhere doesn't have the right to tell me I HAVE to wear it. Oh, but wait....if we make that a law, we can write them a ticket and make some money if they don't......

For the record, I am not against seat belts or helmets. I buckle up each time I get in a vehicle. But I don't think it's right to be told we have to, that's all.

TG78 06-25-2008 12:49 PM

Even though this just happened to my sister I agree it should not be a law, our government is already involved in our lives and decisions too much. One of my favorite quotes is "A person who trades liberties for securities ends up with neither" You will have to forgive me, but I believe this was Thomas Jefferson. Our founding fathers set up the constitution as a list of limits on government essentiallysaying the government "shall not" and "cannot" do this and we stray from this further and further all the time.

I am not posting this thread as an initiative for new legislation but as a plead for two wheel riders to take care of their noggin.