Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For guys that hunt with thumb style T handle releases >

For guys that hunt with thumb style T handle releases

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For guys that hunt with thumb style T handle releases

Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default For guys that hunt with thumb style T handle releases

Gloves on, or Gloves off?

If you use gloves, what kind? I'm worried about the release slipping out of my hand if I wear a glove.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For guys that hunt with thumb style T handle releases

I don't shoot with a glove on any other time of the year so I don't do so far hunting either. NOW, that being said you could find a way to attach a string or some type of starp and keep it attached to your wrist. If it's cold enough for gloves I sit or stand with my hands in my pockets along with the chemical hand warmers and the release is right there n that pocket with my hand.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the TRU Ball ST-3 thumb trigger to hunt with because of the open hook design, I don't have to cock/uncock the release to get it on/off the loop. It also can be setup with their modular wrist strap so that I can't accidentally drop it. When climbing, I can tuck the release into my cuff on the sleeve to keep it out of the way.

I use a glove when it's really cold. I use a fairly thin pair of gloves made by Remington that I bought from Wal-Mart, or I use a pair of thin Scent-Lok gloves. I never wear the same gloves more than one day without washing them, so I have two pairs to alternate through. I also use a hand muff 99% of the time when it's cold and toss in a chemical hand warmer, so this is all that I need except for the coldest of days. I have set the trigger fairly stiff compaired to my target release and have never had any problems with the release slipping or firing prematurely.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Carter Chocolate Lite and I use the thin Under Armour gloves. They have the sticky dots on the palm and I never feel like I am going to lose the release.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow Matt, you have the trigger taken off your hunting release? I've seen it for target but not the hunting application. I always knew you were different
Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Wow Matt, you have the trigger taken off your hunting release? I've seen it for target but not the hunting application. I always knew you were different
I don't like a thumb barrel. The trigger is still there, just not the thumb barrel.This allows me to put my thumb pad directly on the body of the release.I feel it makes my hand placement more consistent on the release. I started doing this a few years ago on the advice of my coach, and it was suggested to him by another local pro here that has more than a few national NFAA indoor and outdoor titles. It seems to work well in and out of the woods, and I just don't see a reason to change anything between the two unless I have to.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I knew the trigger was still there.....you knew what I meant. I know MANY different people do it for target, but I was a little amazed you did it to hunt with. I'm still a BT guy when it comes to target, I just don't get the consistency (for me) with a trigger. I don't like the ability to punch and anticipate with a trigger in my hands. I mean I can probably make a BUNCH of solid shots with it, but I make more bad shots with it than the BT.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I don't like a thumb barrel. The trigger is still there, just not the thumb barrel.This allows me to put my thumb pad directly on the body of the release.I feel it makes my hand placement more consistent on the release. I started doing this a few years ago on the advice of my coach, and it was suggested to him by another local pro here that has more than a few national NFAA indoor and outdoor titles. It seems to work well in and out of the woods, and I just don't see a reason to change anything between the two unless I have to.

Interesting. I may try that with mine. Not that I have a huge issue with the thumb barrel, but I may see how I like it without it. Thanks for the tip, Matt.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I knew the trigger was still there.....you knew what I meant. I know MANY different people do it for target, but I was a little amazed you did it to hunt with. I'm still a BT guy when it comes to target, I just don't get the consistency (for me) with a trigger. I don't like the ability to punch and anticipate with a trigger in my hands. I mean I can probably make a BUNCH of solid shots with it, but I make more bad shots with it than the BT.
I shot a hinge exclusively for about 2 years before finally going back to a thumb trigger for that exact reason. I can and often do still pick up a hinge and can shoot it very well. I guess once you hit that point where proper execution is completely subconscious though, and your not tempted.........I no longerfind a benefit in it for me. Having the triggerjust isn't tempting anymore to mash it, and I feel that I have better control over the shot if I need to bail and let down. That was never really an issue for me, but around here your 3D courses and field archery courses are often really steep and have a lot of drastic up/downhill shots (often cutting 2-5 yards to compensate). When your on one of those and need to let down it's really nice to have the thumb trigger instead. I can honestly say that I haven't punched a trigger in probably close to 3 years, so it's a non-issue for me at this point.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just went out and blank bailed a bit with the barrel off, and I like it a lot. I like the ability to really wrap my base of my thumb around the trigger. I noticed you're not as tempted to punch the trigger either.